Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
I didn't want to switch, but refusal to service a pro lens by pentax usa drove me to another brand. I went with canon because they had the best telephoto lenses and great service too. My only problem now is really wanting the new 400mm f2.8 and can't really justify it when my car is 25 years old.
A familiar story except I went for Nikon.

05-07-2013, 06:21 AM   #62
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
just want good equipment that is dependable, in plentiful supply at "reasonable" prices and will "get 'er done". Pentax can still do that
Numerous Pentax K-01's with the mystery oil/grease that get's onto the sensor; grave flaw with a camera body.
Pentax K-5: Mass flaws with sensor burn, typically caused by video
Two Pentax recent Pentax flagship lenses; one being the Pentax 16-50 - having at least two major issues - sdm failure and also zoom lock.

...And Pentax remains silent on most of this. Just wondering how many people out there have completely given up on Pentax because the company does not address customers on known failures that Pentax is the cause of.

One technically cannot use Pentax and reliable in the same posting
05-07-2013, 06:28 AM   #63
Inactive Account

Pentax doesnt have issues worse than other brands.
05-07-2013, 07:05 AM   #64
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
Pentax doesnt have issues worse than other brands.
Find me one single lens over the last ten years that has more issues than the Pentax 16-50. IF you go back over ten years you will find some. It's just that Pentax never addressed the issue to any of it's customers; which is a rather grave customer service issue that raises tons of red flags.

But as opposed to other issues, sure every camera and/or lens company has them, but at least they most always address them - instead of the Pentax burying it's head in the sand thing and almost hoping that it will go away.

Let me also point out; it will be interesting to see how widespread the sensor issue is with the Pentax K-01; and what response (if any) we'll ever hear from Pentax. So what Pentax is basically saying to each and every customer out there; is that - take a roll of the dice and spend a few thousand with us. It may work for you, it may not. This is also especially concerning to any person who might do any type of professional work.

Imagine having both the original Pentax K-5 and also Pentax 16-50 glass out with you when on an assignment. Imagine having either one (or even both) fail. Using Pentax to earn income also demands that one carries a second camera body and second lens wherever one goes.

Maybe that should be the new definition of Pentax: Carry back-ups wherever you go

On the other side of the spectrum... Nikon excels at customer service. They've even gone beyond warranty dates to address ANY issues

05-07-2013, 07:24 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
Polaroid One step. Man, the pictures just pop out of a slot in front. That is so badass...and futuristic.
You don't even need to hunt down an old Polaroid. Here's yet another reason to switch to Fuji:
Instax mini 8 | Fujifilm Global
05-07-2013, 07:31 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd go w Fujifilm if I'm moving away from Pentax. Actually I already got an X100 and an XE1 w/ a matching 35/1.4. Just need to add an 18-55/2.8-4 then I can sell off all my Pentax stuff .

But I've been using Pentax for so long. Hard to let go emotionally.
05-07-2013, 07:39 AM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Find me one single lens over the last ten years that has more issues than the Pentax 16-50. IF you go back over ten years you will find some. It's just that Pentax never addressed the issue to any of it's customers; which is a rather grave customer service issue that raises tons of red flags.

But as opposed to other issues, sure every camera and/or lens company has them, but at least they most always address them - instead of the Pentax burying it's head in the sand thing and almost hoping that it will go away.

Let me also point out; it will be interesting to see how widespread the sensor issue is with the Pentax K-01; and what response (if any) we'll ever hear from Pentax. So what Pentax is basically saying to each and every customer out there; is that - take a roll of the dice and spend a few thousand with us. It may work for you, it may not. This is also especially concerning to any person who might do any type of professional work.

Imagine having both the original Pentax K-5 and also Pentax 16-50 glass out with you when on an assignment. Imagine having either one (or even both) fail. Using Pentax to earn income also demands that one carries a second camera body and second lens wherever one goes.

Maybe that should be the new definition of Pentax: Carry back-ups wherever you go

On the other side of the spectrum... Nikon excels at customer service. They've even gone beyond warranty dates to address ANY issues

Does not seem so to me.

Google 'Err 01' for Canon.

Google 'D600 sensor stain' (in fact it applies to D7000 too)

05-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I just picked up an X-Pro1. Why? I wanted a camera with a fast standard lens, and Pentax won't give that to me for whatever reason. The Fuji is beautifully built, the 35/1.4 is very much a Limited lens in the way it is built.
I got the XPro1 too, but changed to an XE1 one day after. Somehow I just couldn't get a good hold w the XPro1, and my left hand always block the OVF when I'm holding the camera vertically . But the XE1 feels really nice in my hands, of course neither can beat the fantastic X100

The 35/1.4 is a fantastic lens, better than FA31 in almost every aspect except the hefty weight of FA31 which makes the Fujifilm 35/1.4 feel a bit plastic.

Last edited by frank; 05-07-2013 at 07:54 AM.
05-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #69
Veteran Member

We don't have to find them - you can find them for yourself. Type you favorite camera brand into Google (make sure it's not Pentax, because we all know that is NOT your favorite brand - you've never missed an opportunity to tell us), and type the words lens problems behind it, then press enter. You will find that every camera maker has had lens issues, with the possible exception of Leica or Hasselblad, and we're not talking about them, are we.

Given your disdain for all things Pentax, one wonders why you hang around PF at all. Well, maybe some wonder. Most of us know.
05-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Find me one single lens over the last ten years that has more issues than the Pentax 16-50.
Tamron 17-50mm f2.8.
05-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #71
Veteran Member

Why you waste your time on these forums... is beyond me...

The K-01 problem you are describing, is the first time I've heard of it. I for one do not have that issue and the camera its been with me almost every day since I got it. No issues ... as a matter of fact I like the way this camera works that I haven't touched my K-5 for months... literally.

As for the lens... as other said, there are bad and good copies and in the same time, as far as I have seen almost all major camera brands has some issues with their lenses.

Additionally, I have/had 3 Pentax DSLRs (4 if we count the K-01) and never had ANY issues. And I'm not trying to sugar coat it. I really had no problems with any of my cameras over the 7-8(!?) years of digital SLRs ... how is that speaking for reliability!?
As for lenses, same ... all my Pentax lenses work just fine and never failed on me in any way - and I don't even own the best glass Pentax makes.

Last edited by mrNewt; 05-07-2013 at 12:14 PM.
05-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #72
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Find me one single lens over the last ten years that has more issues than the Pentax 16-50.
Tamron 28-75. I heard rumors that a few copies slipped past QC that DIDN'T have severe FF/BF/Focus changing with FL setting issues, but they seem to be few and far between.
05-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #73
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is no need to wait to find out how many more pentax cameras are affected (not effected). You have already considered Pentax a failed brand. Move on and please don't bother with the vitriol in the forum. It is neither enlightening nor helpful.

... from a user of 8 Pentax cameras (to date) and never an operational or build flaw on any of them.
05-07-2013, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #74
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
. . .

One technically cannot use Pentax and reliable in the same posting
05-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #75

I bought a used K-5 with 50 thousand clicks a few weeks ago, from a local professional travel photographer. Unlike most people who go for "mint" when buying used, I kind of liked that my new(old) camera has a history.

So this K-5 has 50 thousand clicks, has been around the world a couple of times, spent time at +60 and -40 Celsius, climbed to 20 something thousand feet in the Himalayas, was banged around constantly for 2 years, and works FINE. At least there's nothing wrong with it that I could notice.

This guy is also into star trails pictures. One too may times he left the same K-5 outside at -20C, set on interval shooting, till the morning. The last 2 hours of his exposures were usually blurry, because the camera/lens was getting covered with a pretty thick layer of ice. And still shooting away.

I doubt you can get that from Nikon or Canon and their "great" customer service.

Somebody needs to go troll somewhere else.