Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2013, 10:32 PM   #46
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
my neighbor bought a d7000, right when they first came out, he had to send it back twice for autofocus problems.

can we pick on canon for awhile? lol... this is just too much fun

apparently three guys went through fifteen bad canon 24-70 f/2.8 II zooms, before they could get decent glass that worked right:

"JRW....the tally is as follows:
•Copy 1 (032): Clicking while operating the zoom ring
•Copy 2 (032): Clicking while operating the zoom ring
•Copy 3 (062): Had AFMA vs aperture issues at 70 mm
•Copy 4 (062): Small bubble in front element (still have this one at home, Adorama has yet to respond to two emails and a call)
•Copy 5 (042): Clicking while operating the zoom ring
•Copy 6 (042): Clicking while operating the zoom ring
•Copy 7 & 8: Arriving tomorrow

Batch "2" doesn't seem to be working out very well for me.

Copy 4 is actually great, except for the bubble."

"I only had to test three non clicking bubble-less lenses. Bryan went through four on his review. By the numbers you might have the winner in hand. "

How Do You Test a New Lens?

12-31-2013, 02:32 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
On another note and a bit off topic - I had numerous film cameras and they were all used extensively in harsh environments and I never experienced a failure of any sort with any of them.

Film cameras used;

Minolta
Ricoh
Olympus
Nikon
Contax
Yashica G

When I puchased my D7000 it did have a slight oil stain issue - went back to dealer who sent it to Nikon SA and I had it back within 2 weeks - all sorted.

A year later the onboard flash mechanism failed and had to be replaced which was done under warranty and within 2 weeks - 6 months later it failed again and was sent in as was replaced but at a charge of R 1000 with the cause of "in field impact damage" which was absolute BS but decided not to argue the fact.

It currently still sticks now an again and has to be coerced (softly) to open.

My Pentax K10D still works perfectly but I never use it anymore as there is a significant diff between that dslr and the Nikon

The D5100 has had no issues and has been used in very harsh environments - I use it when I want a small format, light dslr - incidently its focusing is consistantly actually more accurate than my D7000 and has a far more simplistic metering giving a consistant measurable results.
12-31-2013, 08:40 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
On another note and a bit off topic - I had numerous film cameras and they were all used extensively in harsh environments and I never experienced a failure of any sort with any of them.

Film cameras used;

Minolta
Ricoh
Olympus
Nikon
Contax
Yashica G

When I puchased my D7000 it did have a slight oil stain issue - went back to dealer who sent it to Nikon SA and I had it back within 2 weeks - all sorted.

A year later the onboard flash mechanism failed and had to be replaced which was done under warranty and within 2 weeks - 6 months later it failed again and was sent in as was replaced but at a charge of R 1000 with the cause of "in field impact damage" which was absolute BS but decided not to argue the fact.

It currently still sticks now an again and has to be coerced (softly) to open.

My Pentax K10D still works perfectly but I never use it anymore as there is a significant diff between that dslr and the Nikon

The D5100 has had no issues and has been used in very harsh environments - I use it when I want a small format, light dslr - incidently its focusing is consistantly actually more accurate than my D7000 and has a far more simplistic metering giving a consistant measurable results.
The only thing missing from the cameras that have the huge number of AF points etc. would be some tests that show that they actually work better.
12-31-2013, 09:26 AM   #49
Veteran Member

For me the worst things about Pentax AF are:

1) the absolutely huge AF sensors (that apparently score well in tests)
2) the poor AF-C compared to competitors (granted I'm comparing the K-5 vs the 7D, 5DIII, D600, D7000).

Apparently with the K-3 the discrepancy with item #2 has changed? Is pentax doing as well with less sensors than the competition? I'm not sure, and of course any AF "test" (in quotations because AF tests have little to do with challenging AF situations in my view) but as long as #1 exists Pentax won't have world class AF for my needs.

12-31-2013, 09:47 AM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
For me the worst things about Pentax AF are:

1) the absolutely huge AF sensors (that apparently score well in tests)
2) the poor AF-C compared to competitors (granted I'm comparing the K-5 vs the 7D, 5DIII, D600, D7000).

Apparently with the K-3 the discrepancy with item #2 has changed? Is pentax doing as well with less sensors than the competition? I'm not sure, and of course any AF "test" (in quotations because AF tests have little to do with challenging AF situations in my view) but as long as #1 exists Pentax won't have world class AF for my needs.
You're knowledge of K-3s is a bit lacking. The K-3 , according to pop photo focusses faster than the D7100 and is almost as good in tracking, the K-3 focusing points are smaller than the k-5 points and are completely capable of locking focus on small birds through tree branches. You're reciting out of date information.
12-31-2013, 09:05 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You're knowledge of K-3s is a bit lacking. The K-3 , according to pop photo focusses faster than the D7100 and is almost as good in tracking, the K-3 focusing points are smaller than the k-5 points and are completely capable of locking focus on small birds through tree branches. You're reciting out of date information.
This is the first I've heard that an address to #1 exists, thanks.

I haven't seen an AF test that I've felt is valid for AF-C. Do you feel that popphoto's test are valid for AF-C type testing? What's their protocol?
01-02-2014, 06:39 AM   #52
Pentaxian

The only thing missing from the cameras that have the huge number of AF points etc. would be some tests that show that they actually work better.
I've always questioned that. I only need one that works. Since mostly all of our shots are 3 dimensional, more focus points mean more chances for the camera to choose a focus point other than what I intended. We all hear of AF complaints from every brand regardless of how "advanced" their new system is. Reviews slammed the Canon 6D for only having 11 but still raved about how well it focused and performed in poor light. My WTF moment of the day.

01-02-2014, 08:29 AM   #53
Pentaxian

This is the first I've heard that an address to #1 exists, thanks.

I haven't seen an AF test that I've felt is valid for AF-C. Do you feel that popphoto's test are valid for AF-C type testing? What's their protocol?
Honestly, I find it hard to evaluate anyone's tests... the only thing I hope for is that they've come up with some way of evaluating these things and that they apply their criteria, whether I'd think they are acceptable or not, to every camera system and without bias. So all I can really say is "one guy said this". But from my perspective, what any of these tests actually mean is always questionable. I'm just pointing out that it's possible Pentax may have closed the gap on this one. The fact that this test concluded Pentax may now have faster AF than a D7100, doesn't mean someone else isn't going to come out with a test that "proves" the opposite.

But those of us using K-3s will tell you, a K-3 is worth it as an upgrade just for the AF. Especially if you're a wildlife shooter. When I shot my snowy owls recently, I tracked the owl and got out of there, while the guys using older and much more expensive Canon and Nikon gear were still struggling to get in focus images. It took me exactly one pass of the bird to get the images I wanted. And much of what I discarded was because of framing, not because of missed focus.

The K-3 is not your grandmother's Pentax.
01-02-2014, 08:36 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Our K-5II cams are extremely accurate in terms of focusing. I especially like how well the center point works in dim ambient light.
01-02-2014, 08:50 AM   #55
Veteran Member

much of what I discarded was because of framing
So, what you're saying is you want a full-frame camera?
01-02-2014, 08:55 AM   #56
Pentaxian

So, what you're saying is you want a full-frame camera?
OK, you got me that time...
But to get the same resolution I get with my K-3 it would have to be a 56 Mp FF.
01-04-2014, 08:45 AM   #57
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

You're reciting out of date information.
Look at Norm's K3 shots.......if you still want to argue with him about the K3 abilities, then I suggest some good mental counseling or a visit to the Optometrist?
Regards!