Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2013, 04:32 AM   #1

Canon 100-400 with Teleconverter

Well, before the mods delete this as being off topic, have a look at the review of this new lens with internal 1.4X teleconverter to give it an effective 100-560mm range. See Andy Rouse's review Andy Rouse - Wildlife Photographer| Canon200400 . My colleague (who other than shooting Canon is very nice!) was salivating over this lens till he saw the price. What fascinates me is the internal teleconverter as well as all the focus limiting functions and its lightning quick focus ability...

05-17-2013, 04:46 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Do you mean the 200-400 f4 that already has a thread in the Non-Pentax forum?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/224818...-extender.html
05-20-2013, 04:30 AM   #3

Original Poster
That is the same lens. I posted it here more for the Pentax shooters to indicate how advanced other systems are. Our own 560mm lens is quite pathetic in comparison. However, perhaps offset by the difference in price between the two. I suppose both the Pentax 560 and this Canon are out of my reach!
05-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #4

The cost to replace the case for this lens is $699. I can't afford the lens ($11,799!) but I could get the case for it

05-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Timd Quote
That is the same lens. I posted it here more for the Pentax shooters to indicate how advanced other systems are. Our own 560mm lens is quite pathetic in comparison. However, perhaps offset by the difference in price between the two. I suppose both the Pentax 560 and this Canon are out of my reach!
So, basically you are admitting to being a troll? You intentionally post in the wrong forum area merely to draw attention to your 'cause', and compare two lenses that are more than $5,000 different in price. On top of that, you acknowledge your post is off topic and throw a dig at the mods.

Is this an effort on your part to get banned, because if so, you are certainly headed in the right direction.

Last edited by Tom S.; 05-21-2013 at 03:09 PM.
05-21-2013, 03:03 PM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
So, basically you are admitting to being a troll?
Looks that way to me, too.
05-22-2013, 04:11 AM   #7

Original Poster
I am not a troll! Perhaps I should have been more careful with my post. I am a staunch supporter of Pentax and have defended the brand many a time. However, I am very interested in technology and developments in technology. My posting was to point out what is being done. It is a known fact that for long lenses, autofocus and flash system, Pentax is far behind. While the advantages of Pentax (for my needs and attainable wants) compensate for these deficiencies, we will be ostriches if we did not acknowledge the deficiencies. My purpose to post it in this forum was not to excite the Canon users (I would have posted it in the non-Pentax section), but to point out what can be done in lens development. A few key issues that struck me: the 1.4 x extender built in; the multitude of focus limiters, the prefocus limiter apart from the exceedingly fast autofocus.

My sincere apologies if I have offended anyone. It was not my aim to offend.

05-22-2013, 05:29 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Timd Quote
I am not a troll! Perhaps I should have been more careful with my post. I am a staunch supporter of Pentax and have defended the brand many a time. However, I am very interested in technology and developments in technology. My posting was to point out what is being done. It is a known fact that for long lenses, autofocus and flash system, Pentax is far behind. While the advantages of Pentax (for my needs and attainable wants) compensate for these deficiencies, we will be ostriches if we did not acknowledge the deficiencies. My purpose to post it in this forum was not to excite the Canon users (I would have posted it in the non-Pentax section), but to point out what can be done in lens development. A few key issues that struck me: the 1.4 x extender built in; the multitude of focus limiters, the prefocus limiter apart from the exceedingly fast autofocus.

My sincere apologies if I have offended anyone. It was not my aim to offend.
It may surprise you, but Pentax (Asahi Optical) were designing slr lenses before Canon or Nikon who were copycatting rangefinders of Leica and Contax. Their issue with lenses had more to do with being in the holding pattern by the Hoya boys for 4 years not to mention the disruption of Pentax trying to fend of a hostile taceover.