Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
PK to EOS Adapter

Hello to everyone.

I recently acquired a Canon 40D body just to have a nice, second DSLR. So far, I do not have any Canon EF or EFS lenses. A bit unsure of what to buy in a basic lens, I ordered two adapters to try the body out with the PK and M42 lenses that I do have.

Can anyone advise me on how to put my PK-EOS adapter Amazon.com: Pentax PK Lens to Canon EOS EF Mount Adapter: Camera & Photo onto my Canon 40D? Is there a video or a Web link? I'm afraid I'll ruin the camera body. I do not have any Canon lenses in order to try out this used Canon. Thanks.

PS I also ordered an M42 to Canon EOS adapter from Fotodiox so I can use my Takumar lenses on the 40D.

I realize that this is a compromise, but if anyone would reply to point me in the right direction, I would appreciate the help.

05-21-2013, 12:31 PM   #2

It's always kind of hit and miss with these adapters. Sometimes the work great, sometimes not so great. And even buying them from the same vendor can be daunting because they often get them from different sources so one batch may work great while another may not. You can buy them with focus confirmation chips too.

There are dozens of them available on eBay. I've heard good things about the adapters from the sellers Roxsen and Big-Is on eBay, but there was a thread on here with someone having problems with an adapter from Big-Is. Like I said, it is hit and miss. The main problem being if they are manufactured with enough precision that you will actually get infinity focus with most of your lenses.

Otherwise it should work ok as the 40D has a aps-c sensor so the mirror should clear the levers on the lens.
05-21-2013, 04:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have owned probably 10 PK-EOS adapters, all of which I purchased on E-bay. I have found no rhyme or reason as to which have stood the test of time. I have had 2 of them break on me, but I have purchased others that have lasted from the same dealers. All of the adapters have enabled me to focus to infinity. I bought one with the AF confirm chip, but it broke off almost immediately.

My recommendation would be to just buy a few more than you think you will need. It is a pain switch them every time you change lenses, so you may want to have one adapter mounted to each lens for the duration of a shoot, and add rear Canon-mount caps.

I'm not sure of any possible way for these adapters to damage your camera. If it happens, I would say that would be somewhat of a freak occurrence.

Enjoy!
07-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #4

The 40D is what I had before the K5. It depends on what types of pictures that you want to take, but a Tamron 17-50 2.8 non VC (no stabilization) worked great for me, and even though it's not a true macro, I've used it to take close up pictures.

07-15-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been using the Fotodiox PK-EOS adapter as well as their M42 adapter. Both work well and get on and off my 7D body fairly easily. There is a slight wiggle room in the PK adapter, but my focus has been accurate.

To put the PK on your Canon body, there should be some kind of EOS registration dot or indicator on the adapter that is about a quarter of the way from the red PK dot. That should be attached on the camera body a little past the "High Noon" red registration dot that is on the body. My 7D has a white dot that lines up with the adapter. Stick the adapter on, turn gently until it locks. Then your K-mount lens is inserted at the red dot on the adapter and turned to lock, just as on a Pentax body.

You'll have to remove the adapter while it is attached to the lens, so remove both components from the body by pressing the standard Canon release button and twisting as typical. Once apart from the body, a small lever inside the adapter has to be pressed to remove it from the lens. You can also attach another lens this way and insert the whole thing on the body instead of my body first instructions above.

Everything is manual when using a PK lens and you will have to learn to estimate the exposure compensation necessary (I bracket a lot) but it is doable. I have found that the older "M" and "K" Pentax lenses work the best. I haven't used the PK adapter as much as I thought, and have preferred the M42 lenses.

M
02-23-2014, 12:47 AM   #6

Looking to buy a Pk to EOS adapter as well.

So far I've only used Takumars with adapter on a Canon 1000D, with success.

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Everything is manual when using a PK lens and you will have to learn to estimate the exposure compensation necessary
..well (with M42 to EOS) focus confirmation works, and metering works as well, so no need to 'estimate' anything.
Thing is that the finder goes dark if you close aperture of course, but besides that..
02-23-2014, 05:28 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tina Kino Quote
well (with M42 to EOS) focus confirmation works, and metering works as well, so no need to 'estimate' anything.
Please read the context of my answer: a PK lens is not a M42 lens. My comments based on my experience are correct.

M

02-23-2014, 11:18 AM   #8

I thought if focus confirmation works with M42 to EOS, it would work likewise with PK (or any other lens with an adapter) to EOS as well...
02-23-2014, 01:08 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tina Kino Quote
I thought if focus confirmation works with M42 to EOS, it would work likewise with PK (or any other lens with an adapter) to EOS as well...
M42-EOS adapters are different from K-mount-EOS adapters. Focus confirmation is wholly adapter-dependent. They stick on a chip that mimics EOS AF to some extent. Some adapters have it; others don't. Even on the ones that do, the accuracy of the AF is suspect. I use magnified Live-view to ensure accurate AF.

M
02-24-2014, 01:02 AM   #10

Thank you for the info.
I think I have to read a bit more about these adapters to understand how they work, especially these chips.
My M42 to EOS has such a chip, too. So I'm still asking myself if there are PK to EOS adapters, with chips, that work just as well, indicating when focus is achieved.
And surely I'm not talking about AF, since this is all about manual focus lenses.
02-24-2014, 01:09 AM   #11

Just search on eBay for "PK EOS Confirm". Note the sellers I recommended above.
02-24-2014, 01:22 AM   #12

Cheers.