Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2013, 05:51 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yashica 35 Electro GSN

Hi guys!

Just a fast question.
Got a Yashica 35 Electro GSN from a friend with a stuck battery compartment. Guess the battery has leaked... He picked it up for a 5 bucks in a yard sale a few years ago and been in his closet ever since.

My question is: Is it worth to take to a repair store and see if they can fix it. And if they can fix it, what would be a decent amount of money to invest to make it functional again? The camera is looking great, so I don't know if there is more stuff that need to be done.
Should I just hand it in and see how much it will cost for a repair?

Cheers

Yos

06-07-2013, 06:18 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Use some common white vinegar to unstick the battery cover. Use tinfoil and either a 4lr44 or 4 stacked lr44 batteries and start shooting.

How-To: Replace A Yashica Electro 35 Battery | The Learning Lensman
06-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #3
Yos
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Will give it a try. Thanks for the link Aegon!
Btw, you think rice vinegar work? Or does it have to be white (wine) vinegar?

Cheers
Yos
06-07-2013, 06:28 PM   #4
Site Supporter

The acid is what matters. I think rice vinegar will be fine, though maybe somewhat weaker, but probably fine.

Marinate the batteries in a mixture of soy sauce, brown sugar, and ginger for best flavor.

06-09-2013, 07:32 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another consideration with the Yashica GSN is the condition of the POD or so-called "Pad of Death".
The deterioration over time of this part often renders the shutter inoperable.

Chris
06-09-2013, 07:42 AM   #6
Yos
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@Aegon: Thanks again

@Thanks Chris. Any idea what a POD repair might cost if you hand it in to a professional? (If that is the case with the camera)

Haven't had time to diy repair yet. Will give an update about the process as soon as I have tried it.
06-24-2013, 03:30 PM   #7

Yos, I have an Electro GS that had POD develop not long after getting it. It cost me about $60 US for the repair (which included return US postage).

07-02-2013, 06:18 AM   #8

Try contacting Russ Sisco at this site: Yashica Electro 35 Restoration and Releathering Services. He does great work at a very reasonable price. I sent him my Electro 35 GT, and he did a full CLA, and even replaced a stripped film advance gear at no extra cost. That camera is like new again. Highly recommended.Of course, shipping may be more than you would want to pay.

Last edited by MBrannon; 07-02-2013 at 06:27 AM.