Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2013, 10:20 PM   #1
Unregistered User

Your thought on Lumix G3

Lumix G3 is available at a reasonable price and given the crop factor of 2x it offers an interesting option for my K-mount lenses. My 90mm macro will become a 180mm macro on the Lumix. But there are things about the Lumix that worry me:

* The body is too lightweight; my 90mm macro will weigh more than the body. Will this make it difficult to handle the camera?

* Given the tiny size of the G3 body, it is allegedly very easy to unintentionally press the buttons on the backside with the palm of your hand. Is this true?

* I briefly held the camera a long time ago; it struck me as being somewhat fragile and plasticky.

* Are there any other cons that i should be worrying about?

Last edited by Unregistered User; 06-15-2013 at 10:31 PM.
06-15-2013, 11:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Speaking as a NEX owner, if the lenses weigh much more than the body, you hold the lens. I don't find it to be uncomfortable with my NEX or my Q. If you are looking for a m4/3 body, I would recommend Olympus for the Image Stabilization.
06-16-2013, 12:31 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
Lumix G3 is available at a reasonable price and given the crop factor of 2x it offers an interesting option for my K-mount lenses. My 90mm macro will become a 180mm macro on the Lumix. But there are things about the Lumix that worry me:

* The body is too lightweight; my 90mm macro will weigh more than the body. Will this make it difficult to handle the camera?

* Given the tiny size of the G3 body, it is allegedly very easy to unintentionally press the buttons on the backside with the palm of your hand. Is this true?

* I briefly held the camera a long time ago; it struck me as being somewhat fragile and plasticky.

* Are there any other cons that i should be worrying about?
I have a G3, seldom use it, but its a nice camera.
IMO, the strength of the m4/3 system is the native lenses.
Fast, small and light, very center sharp from wide open and AF.
I don't not even use the G3 with my Pentax lenses.
Most of them are just too long on 2x crop imo.

Heavier lens than body - not an issue. I use the Q with lens much bigger,

Plasticky - Pentax build quality is hard to beat vs any brand. I'd say, its pretty decent for the G3.

Easy to accidentally touch the buttons - I've not encountered this issue.

Some ppl hate the lack of a EVF/LCD button, but imo, it just needs getting used to.
Overall, I feel that its a nice camera esp at the price now.
A OMD before OMD at a fantastic price, just too bad ppl went for looks and OIS (despite the native lenses being small and short FL to matter that much)
06-16-2013, 03:11 AM   #4
Unregistered User

Thank you both for your input. After weighing the pros and cons, I have decided skip the G3.

11-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
hai Friends ...iam sathya from india...just check it up my photos -camera panasonic Lumix G3 ..mirrorless camera...and iam using manual lens too ...zenit helios 44k-4

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/29-welcomes-introductions/242997-panasoni...ml#post2585105