Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
todd's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Basement
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,373
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I would also recommend putting ISO Sensitivity Settings in your "My Menu" for easy and fast access to your minimum shutter speed in auto ISO. That way you can shoot in aperture priority mode and not have to worry about getting too slow of a shutter speed for moving people. The camera will only go under that shutter speed when you exceed the upper ISO limit you set for auto ISO. What is not to like about that once you get use to knowing how it operates.
tease :-)

09-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #92
Veteran Member
Wired's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,519
Original Poster
continuing on with the D800 experience...

I haven't had any gigs this month, mostly because I haven't been looking (too busy with a newborn), but I have been playing around.

a) I still can't get over how easy and beautiful the Nikon CLS system is. The wireless mode is bloody fantastic, and TTL with the CLS is just bloody fantastic. ie: baby just came out of the bath, wifey wanted nude baby shots. Setup a single SB700 in TTL, swapped the D800 over to commander, and started shooting... got great shots perfectly exposed with beautiful lighting. This alone is worth the price of Nikon admission.

b) I'm planning on selling the 80-200 f2.8 and getting a 70-200 f2.8 VRII. I will probably do this after Christmas...but its something that needs to happen....NEEDS to. I decided just to pop into the store today to feel the D800 grip as I haven't done so yet, but decided to check out the 70-200 too. I got it down to 1/10" without using any breathing techniques and free standing and had no shake.

c) the D800 grip is too big for me. The part that rests in the palm is just too thick for my hands. So I can't see myself buying it. But it feels fantastic in terms of build quality.

d) I still need to get rid of the D800 neck strap. Had someone following me through the mall, so I bought a bag in the shop just so I wasn't walking around advertising a $3000 camera. I wish they had generic straps there...
09-26-2013, 06:07 PM   #93
Veteran Member
bossa's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 4,546
That's the bit I don't like about using expensive gear, the fact that you're an easy target, especially with two because it'd be difficult to chase the snatcher.

I have two D800E's with grips and walk around with one on a neck strap (14-24 or 35mm) and the other (70-200 VRII) on a Black Rapid strap. Anyone trying to rip off my gear will have almost no chance of getting away from me though as I was a state 100m sprint champ... they'll be getting their ass whipped bigtime on the run.

I still need to get into the flash system though

PS> I've also started using a bag just for the two items for the same reasons you state.
09-26-2013, 06:17 PM   #94
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,082
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
continuing on with the D800 experience...

I haven't had any gigs this month, mostly because I haven't been looking (too busy with a newborn), but I have been playing around.

a) I still can't get over how easy and beautiful the Nikon CLS system is. The wireless mode is bloody fantastic, and TTL with the CLS is just bloody fantastic. ie: baby just came out of the bath, wifey wanted nude baby shots. Setup a single SB700 in TTL, swapped the D800 over to commander, and started shooting... got great shots perfectly exposed with beautiful lighting. This alone is worth the price of Nikon admission.

b) I'm planning on selling the 80-200 f2.8 and getting a 70-200 f2.8 VRII. I will probably do this after Christmas...but its something that needs to happen....NEEDS to. I decided just to pop into the store today to feel the D800 grip as I haven't done so yet, but decided to check out the 70-200 too. I got it down to 1/10" without using any breathing techniques and free standing and had no shake.

c) the D800 grip is too big for me. The part that rests in the palm is just too thick for my hands. So I can't see myself buying it. But it feels fantastic in terms of build quality.

d) I still need to get rid of the D800 neck strap. Had someone following me through the mall, so I bought a bag in the shop just so I wasn't walking around advertising a $3000 camera. I wish they had generic straps there...
Do you only use the built in flash for the commander? Have you bought a commander? If so, see any benefit for your applications? I've read that the Debao SU-800 is even better than the Nikon branded commander. For now I'm just going to use the built in. I only have 1 TTL flash, at the moment, with plans to add 2 more.

Debao SU-800 Nikon Wireless Speedlight Commander / Flash Trigger | Eachshot.com


Last edited by kenafein; 09-26-2013 at 06:23 PM.
09-26-2013, 09:56 PM   #95
Veteran Member
Wired's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,519
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Do you only use the built in flash for the commander? Have you bought a commander? If so, see any benefit for your applications? I've read that the Debao SU-800 is even better than the Nikon branded commander. For now I'm just going to use the built in. I only have 1 TTL flash, at the moment, with plans to add 2 more.

Debao SU-800 Nikon Wireless Speedlight Commander / Flash Trigger | Eachshot.com
I have only used it as a commander yes. Granted I have not really used the feature a whole lot until very recently as I usually use universal elinchrom receivers to control my flashes. But I decided to give then a whirl and I'm happy with my decision to do so.

I don't know what advantages a dedicated commander would give me. Granted I haven't research it either.



09-28-2013, 02:45 AM   #96
Veteran Member
Frogfish's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 4,490
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
continuing on with the D800 experience...

I haven't had any gigs this month, mostly because I haven't been looking (too busy with a newborn), but I have been playing around.

d) I still need to get rid of the D800 neck strap. Had someone following me through the mall, so I bought a bag in the shop just so I wasn't walking around advertising a $3000 camera. I wish they had generic straps there...
Congratulations ! Guess we're going to be having a lot of newborn shots in the FF thread from now on

When I'm carrying two cameras I have one on a BR and the other on a Cotton Carrier (either on my chest or hip) - beither would be easy to snatch without rips my trousers off or taking me with it.
09-28-2013, 11:50 PM   #97
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 574
for camera thieves



11-10-2013, 10:10 PM - 1 Like   #98
Veteran Member
Wired's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,519
Original Poster
been a while... Got the K3 this month, and I've been dual wielding both cameras this month so far for the Singles in Challenge on both the nikonforums and here, the Nikon with the Zeiss 50mm f1.4 and the Pentax with the FA Limtied 43mm f1.9. The field of views are kind of similar between the two cameras, with the Pentax requiring you to take a step and a half back to get a similar field of view, which wasn't done by design... but for fun.

The interesting thing here is that both lenses are actually quite similar.. both are tack sharp dead center, both get incredibly sharp around f4 throughout the frame, and by f11 start showing diffraction. They also make beautiful starbursts and render color and contrast extremely well. So its' actually quite fun to use them together and make the camera body do the work.

One thing that is quite evident in the first two photos of this post is the white balance and color rendering differences between the two cameras. As you can see both images are very sharp and have tons of detail, but the Pentax image just doesn't have the life in terms of colors. Granted before I set the "vivid" camera profile in Lightroom for the D800 these images were incredibly similar in terms of color saturation and contrast. Now both cameras were set to auto for WB here, and I got to say, the Nikon presented a much nicer color temperature...but the Pentax was way more accurate to what I actually saw.







Here is another example of how the white balance plays tricks. Now the exposure settings for these two images are very different, but as you can see the D800 has a more muted tone. Actually come to think of it, I think I set the Pentax up for "shade" which may explain a lot... but the rendering again is very similar in terms of sharpness. But I prefer the D800 image myself.

It's an interesting thing here, the D800 takes photos to the next level, I already know this. The Pentax though..







Well the Pentax is just more enjoyable to use. It's faster, which has a lot to do with it. Granted it's not processing massive RAW data files, but the 24mp files the K3 puts out aren't tiny when compared to the 16mp files the K5 or OMD EM1 output, and are very large compared to my little sidekick the Pentax Q/Q7. Then again, I'm used to the Pentax way of doing things, and while Nikon has some nice advantages, the Pentax has it's own too.

I've used live view a lot on both cameras this past week or so, and a large reason for that is the tripod use. I can say I prefer the K3 in this role, only because it's faster with the processing time. The monitor is also not as noisy as the D800, even though the D800 live view shows a more accurate preview of the final image. Doesn't matter though since I can take 3 shots and chimp them before the D800 even lets loose with one when you consider how slow it is between shots. This is because the K3 seems to do less between shots. In fact, it seems to operate like a mirror-less camera just letting the shutter go and returning to ready status, unlike the D800 or K5 which I assume let the mirror down and then lock it back up to return back to live view.. which in hindsight just doesn't make sense.


Nikon D800


Pentax K3
The other thing I love about the Pentax K3 is glove ergonomics. This may not be that important in some other places on this planet, but here in Edmonton, Alberta Canada...it's very important as we start getting closer and closer to -30 degree Celsius temperatures without windchill. The ability to navigate all exposure parameters of your camera, and even drive mode with gloves on is very important. Heck, even your tripod should have this ability.. all pieces of gear used in this cold should be able to be used with gloves.

it's also important to have the right gloves. I love these Thinsulate work gloves I found for construction workers who are out in the cold and still need maximum finger dexterity. They are super grippy and water resistant which is important out here.

Now, how does this affect the D800 vs K3 situation? Well because the D800 ergonomics were already in question, but now even more so with gloves. Don't get me wrong, the D800 is a very great camera and very comfortable to use with or without gloves, and if you use Auto-ISO and don't change your drive mode this won't matter to you, but both options are a pain to get too with gloves. The switch to unlock the drive dial is a pain to use with gloves and I find myself accidentally actuating one of the buttons up top...like white balance or iso...or accidentally setting the Quality... While with the K3 I can pretty much use the whole camera (aside from live view..that button is a little irritating with gloves) while gloved up for winter.








At the end of the day, it's impossible to compare these two cameras as if they are on the same playing field. The Nikon is an NHL level camera while the K3 is an AHL level camera. Every once in a while the AHL player gets called up to the best hockey league in the world to show their stuff, and sometime makes a dynamite impact for a bargain price to club. That is exactly what the K3 does... deliver professional results, just with a sub-professional price tag. There is a nearly $2600 price gap between these two kits.... can anyone honestly say there is a $2600 gap in quality? No.

The next test for the K3? Live bands next weekend! Q7 one night, K3 the other night. D800 will stay home.


11-10-2013, 11:19 PM   #99
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 288
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote

Well the Pentax is just more enjoyable to use. It's faster, which has a lot to do with it. Granted it's not processing massive RAW data files, but the 24mp files the K3 puts out aren't tiny when compared to the 16mp files the K5 or OMD EM1 output, and are very large compared to my little sidekick the Pentax Q/Q7. Then again, I'm used to the Pentax way of doing things, and while Nikon has some nice advantages, the Pentax has it's own too.

I've used live view a lot on both cameras this past week or so, and a large reason for that is the tripod use. I can say I prefer the K3 in this role, only because it's faster with the processing time. The monitor is also not as noisy as the D800, even though the D800 live view shows a more accurate preview of the final image. Doesn't matter though since I can take 3 shots and chimp them before the D800 even lets loose with one when you consider how slow it is between shots. This is because the K3 seems to do less between shots. In fact, it seems to operate like a mirror-less camera just letting the shutter go and returning to ready status, unlike the D800 or K5 which I assume let the mirror down and then lock it back up to return back to live view.. which in hindsight just doesn't make sense.

Pentax K3
The other thing I love about the Pentax K3 is glove ergonomics. This may not be that important in some other places on this planet, but here in Edmonton, Alberta Canada...it's very important as we start getting closer and closer to -30 degree Celsius temperatures without windchill. The ability to navigate all exposure parameters of your camera, and even drive mode with gloves on is very important. Heck, even your tripod should have this ability.. all pieces of gear used in this cold should be able to be used with gloves.

it's also important to have the right gloves. I love these Thinsulate work gloves I found for construction workers who are out in the cold and still need maximum finger dexterity. They are super grippy and water resistant which is important out here.

Now, how does this affect the D800 vs K3 situation? Well because the D800 ergonomics were already in question, but now even more so with gloves. Don't get me wrong, the D800 is a very great camera and very comfortable to use with or without gloves, and if you use Auto-ISO and don't change your drive mode this won't matter to you, but both options are a pain to get too with gloves. The switch to unlock the drive dial is a pain to use with gloves and I find myself accidentally actuating one of the buttons up top...like white balance or iso...or accidentally setting the Quality... While with the K3 I can pretty much use the whole camera (aside from live view..that button is a little irritating with gloves) while gloved up for winter.
The D800 is not a very speedy camera compared to many others out there but I'm curious to know what RAW settings you're shooting with? Depending on what settings you're at, the file sizes could be anywhere from 40-75mb. If you compare that to the K3 putting out file sizes of what.. 24-30mb (just a guestimate.. I'm not sure about the K3's raw size), that could be ~1.5-3x the amount of data the D800 has to record, not to mention if you're also recording jpgs at the same time. I find that the speed of it is influenced quite a bit by what cards are in the D800.. if it's just a CF card, the camera feels ok for speed.. stick an SD with the CF, it gets bogged down since it'll only be as quick as the slowest link.

I can see what you mean by the ergos of the D800 being more tough to use with gloves but I thought the buttons on the top left require a turn of a dial as well in order to actually change a setting? So even if you accidentally press the ISO or QUAL button, you still have to turn a dial to affect the setting?
11-10-2013, 11:40 PM   #100
Veteran Member
Wired's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,519
Original Poster
Oh highest quality of course. I don't expect the D800 to perform at the same speed as others. It's not built for that. The one place where Pentax kills it if you take processing time out of the equation is the live view mode though. And yes, I never out a SD in to keep the performance maxed out.

Yea, you do need to give them a twist. I don't know how I accendtskly changed quality but I did none the less. The bigger term there is missing the button and turning to change one thing and getting another.

11-15-2013, 03:24 AM   #101
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Berlin
Posts: 1,028
Thanks for your impressions, looking forward to the concert shots
11-19-2013, 09:14 AM   #102
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 9,465
I guess when people say a speedy camera they mean FPS? Because you can pick up a D800, aim, shoot and it will focus faster than a vast majority of cameras out there. Plenty fast for action if you don't need to capture a 6-11 FPS.
11-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #103
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 37,389
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
That's the bit I don't like about using expensive gear, the fact that you're an easy target, especially with two because it'd be difficult to chase the snatcher.

I have two D800E's with grips and walk around with one on a neck strap (14-24 or 35mm) and the other (70-200 VRII) on a Black Rapid strap. Anyone trying to rip off my gear will have almost no chance of getting away from me though as I was a state 100m sprint champ... they'll be getting their ass whipped bigtime on the run.

I still need to get into the flash system though

PS> I've also started using a bag just for the two items for the same reasons you state.
Ya, well I used to run the 100 (yards not meters) under 11, but last time I took a rough estimate I was about 17, today it would be ore like 25. and i'd be sore for a week afterwards.. Getting older makes you average… maybe not for old guys, but compared to young guys.
11-19-2013, 08:34 PM   #104
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 9
Hey, I just started reading this thread because I had similar thoughts, in that the d600 was somewhat of a disappointment compared to my k-5. I use a d600 at work so luckily I didn't throw any of my own cash at it, but was wondering if the d800 was worth a go, not from an image quality standpoint, but from features (fast af, CLS, etc). I've been using the lovely om-d em-5 for the past year much more than the k-5 simply because of the quick AF speed, and the wysiwyg features of the EVF. I was wondering since you mentioned that the k-3 was faster than the d800, if it was also much quicker/more accurate in it's autofocus abilities?
BTW, the color difference between your d800 and k-3 can be easily remedied, I was doing it with the d600/k-5. You are already choosing the vivid profile with your d800 in lightroom, all you have to do is the same for your k-3 by setting up a camera calibration preset and changing the hues/saturation a bit. Unfortunately, adobe only bundles presets for canon/nikon, so if you have anything else, you have to do it manually. I do the same with my om-d and the results are much better than what the camera can give me.
11-20-2013, 02:43 AM - 1 Like   #105
Veteran Member
Frogfish's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 4,490
BBien - the K3 is less than half the price of a D800(E) - which is the model I'd personally buy rather than the D800. If you like the Pentaxes I'd give that a go first, great reviews and reports back so far (esp. re. much improved AF over the K5II). The D800 (or E) is an amazing camera though if you didn't like the D600 (which I also used to have) however even though the D800(E) is a big step up it may still not suit you personally.

EDIT. A lot depends on what you are shooting. If you need fps, super fast AF acquisition, low noise and high DR from ISO 800 upwards, and won't be cropping too much, then a used D3s is your camera since it is stil King amongst the Nikons for noise and DR (edges the D4 above ISO800 onwards, where the D800 lags behind both).
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
d600, d800, day, f2.8, grip, k5, lenses, love, nikon, time
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
first day with the D600 Wired Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 224 06-14-2013 11:33 PM
My first day out with the Q TcKay Pentax Q 3 05-05-2013 01:59 PM
A few test photos from the first day with the k-01 robert Pentax K-01 4 11-10-2012 04:10 PM
First day out with the Pentax K-5 Eberbachl Pentax K-5 & K-5 II 5 04-21-2012 03:55 AM
First day with the Q Wired Pentax Q 10 03-19-2012 08:56 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:29 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top