Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2013, 09:16 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Can someone show how the Canon guy comes up with "70% of the cameras have this defect" number?

Glad that Canon actually admits there is a problem and offers fix it. They could have been like Pentax with SDM and ignore the problem and pretend it never existed.

06-23-2013, 09:59 AM   #17
Banned

Canon at the 2012 Olympics :

I am sure if there was an AF problem you would know about it.
06-23-2013, 04:00 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Very scientific, jogiba.
06-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Can someone show how the Canon guy comes up with "70% of the cameras have this defect" number?
When the 6th digit is 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, or 7 = 70% right?

Sounds scientific to me.

06-23-2013, 08:05 PM   #20
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
They could have been like Pentax with SDM and ignore the problem and pretend it never existed.
There is an SDM problem? Good lordy, does Pentax know about this? Shocking!
06-24-2013, 05:52 AM   #21
Banned

The thread title " Is Canon's run as the king of AF over? " a troll post since Canon 1D X and 1D C users around here with the recalled bodies get them fixed in 24 hours at the local Jamesburg NJ Canon service center. How about the same thread title for the Nikon D800 left side focus issues or Nikon D600 oil/dust spots on sensor problems .
06-24-2013, 06:44 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Not a troll, just a flashy title to point out that it's not just Pentax that has these kinds of issues. And that it's not just Pentax users who lose perspective and trade in perfectly functional systems out of frustration....

We see lot's of those here. It's good to know it's not just us.

But if I owned a Canon system right now would I be looking to switch? Not a chance. I really do think you have to make decisions based on the big picture not the small stuff. The author of this article talked about a few Canon lenses she really liked. From my perspective, if you've found a lens you really like you use the camera that uses that lens. From my perspective she's making a mistake. I will probably always have a Pentax body to make use of my DA*60-250 and my 21 ltd.. It's just personal preference, but those two lenses make me happy. And I know I'd miss them if I sold them.

I'd love to try a Nikon 14-24 on a D800, but even if I really liked it, would that mean I didn't like my DA* 60-50, hardly, it's not a marriage, you're allowed to have more than one.

I think the author isn't thinking this through rationally. Just as I feel the Pentax bashers who go on and one for month aren't being rational either. But it's nice to know that those with the predisposition to freak out aren't just Pentax users.

06-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
How about the same thread title for the Nikon D800 left side focus issues or Nikon D600 oil/dust spots on sensor problems .
I recall a Roger Cicala article about him picking a new camera in it he wrote this about Nikon's service

"I mentioned in the first post that I’m a fanatic about customer service and repairs. That’s a big edge to Canon USA compare to Nikon USA right now (it’s different in different countries), and right now is when I’m making my decision. Fanboys can go off as much as they want, but I handled several thousand repairs last year. Nikon takes, on average, three times as long at double the cost. (Lensrentals insider joke: What do you call a D800 with a scratched sensor? Parts. Because at $1,800 for a sensor replacement . . . )"

"I haven’t had many Pentax repairs so I looked into their service and got good news and bad. The good was a really nice customer support system with live chat and quick, knowledgeable phone support. The bad news was when I asked how long repair turnaround time would be the answer was 20 to 30 days. So I ranked them between Canon and Nikon."

LensRentals.com - Roger Buys a Camera System: Finally

Last edited by RyanW; 06-24-2013 at 01:05 PM.