Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2013, 09:06 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is Canon's run as the king of AF over?

One of those links you find while casually surfing the net....

CANON GETS ME AGAIN!! - Piper Mackay Photography

06-22-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I can sympathize with his concern and his bad break, but if he thinks switching brands will eliminate this from happening in the future, he's not nearly as smart as he thinks he is by switching.
If it is made by man, it can fail...and we have a world of catastrophic examples to prove it. If we reacted that way as Pentax shooters, we wouldn't be Pentax shooters, would we?

Regards!
06-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I don't know Rupert, this issue affects 70% of 1Dx users... that is a lot of high end users.... usually if one guy posts on line, there are a lot of other users making the same decision that don't happen to run a blog.... the Pentax stain issue and SDM failure rates never approached 25% of high end Pentax users, forget about 70%. Hey, maybe it will be nothing, but, if you're a high end Canon user looking for a new body, where do you look right now? Probably just a blip on the radar, but something to watch....
06-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Yeah Norm, it could have some negative results for certain shooters in future planning. . In particular with high end pro shooters that would be the most frustrated.

However this little phrase has provided a lifetime of good results for me, and when I break away from it, I am almost always in regret.
"The devil I know is better than the devil I don't know."

It works in all types of situations, and it works well in most of them. I'm still with Pentax, it's a devil at times, but one I can live with.

Regards!

06-22-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
Pentaxian

When I was in the publishing business back in the 1960's the favourite cameras of photojournalists (in my region) were Leica Rangefinders, Rollei TLR, Nikon SLR . Some used Pentax Spotmatics....some used Mamiya Press or TLR. Never saw many use Canon equipment back then.

Nikon of course dominated the 35mm professional camera market for decades after.

Then Canon came out with the F1 SLR and made a serious attempt...successful...to get a large part of the pro market. Canon's success in the pro market, continues to this day.

Their efforts and strategies over the years to gain a significant part of the pro market, impressed me. I think that Canon is still the most savvy of all the camera brands when it comes to chasing and gaining market share...whether it be consumer, advanced amateur or pro.

I'm surprised at this situation with their top camera, especially given that a pro needs his equipment to work tirelessly and faultlessly.

It will be interesting to see what Canon does to address this situation, aside from this first step indicated in the OP's thread.

Word does get around fast about equipment and I wouldn't be surprised to see Canon get a fast fix for this issue. There's a lot to lose.
06-22-2013, 03:26 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ya, I'm with you there Rupert, and unfortunately it's true about 99% of the time.. at least with what you know, you've learned to work around it's limitations... with what you don't know, you have to figure out what you don't like and then figure out how to work around it... always an extra step... I think a lot of these types of reactions you get people switching in "protest". Personally I don't think protesting by changing brands really affects camera companies all that much, some protesters go one way, some go the other, it probably doesn't affect your bottom line a whole lot. At least as long as you maintain your competitive position.
06-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
One of those links you find while casually surfing the net....

CANON GETS ME AGAIN!! - Piper Mackay Photography
Apparently poor Piper didn't realize he had a focus problem until the service advisory came out -- after he'd owned the camera for three months. So was the camera missing focus or not? He doesn't say. Me, I'd say kudos to Canon for stepping up and fixing an issue, for free, instead of hiding behind a wall of silence like some other manufacturers do.

06-22-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bkpix Quote
Apparently poor Piper didn't realize he had a focus problem until the service advisory came out -- after he'd owned the camera for three months. So was the camera missing focus or not? He doesn't say. Me, I'd say kudos to Canon for stepping up and fixing an issue, for free, instead of hiding behind a wall of silence like some other manufacturers do.
He didn't buy for months hoping to avoid first run glitches.... so he didn't actually have a camera to have focus problems with...

ANyway here is the main thing...
QuoteQuote:
This is a tremendous expense for me, but I am too physiologically damaged to shoot with Canon ever again.
What? DId his arm fall off from trying to focus manually? I think he meant "psychologically." So for me, the exact accuracy of the case is moot, I just wonder how many canon users are affected, and how many will have the reaction he has.

QuoteQuote:
What really gets me is that my camera was at the Canon service center on Wed, and they did not say a word!!!!
And you think Canon was forthcoming with the problem?

You seem to be playing a game of blame the victim here, and I'm not sure why. The same as I see you playing blame Pentax, and likewise, I'm not sure why. I guess the biggest thing for me here is, it seems other camera companies also have their problems.

QuoteQuote:
Canon say potentially affected cameras will be inspected and repaired free of charge. More information can be found on the Canon Product Advisories website.
That means you have to send them the camera and wait for it to come back. Sounds about the same as the Pentax response to the stain issue. To me the thing to do in both cases would be an exchange for a camera that never had the problem in the first place. I don't see Canon's response as better than Pentax's. You still get a repaired camera that's had a problem as opposed to a camera that was good to go from the day you bought it, which is what you thought you were paying for. I guess in the minds of some, only Pentax can have problems. There's always some reason other companies are not held to the same standard.
06-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Er, no, not blaming the victim here Norm, except that her reaction (oops, yes, she's a woman, my mistake earlier) seems a bit over the top. According to her blog she got the camera in March and seems to have been thrilled with it until the service advisory came out. She's apparently an experienced professional wildlife shooter, which to my way of thinking makes her reaction even more bizarre.

I have no idea what I'm supposed to be blaming Pentax about. My reference to "other manufacturers" was in regard to Nikon and their D800 autofocus issues, which took the company some time to acknowledge.
06-22-2013, 04:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just got mine couple weeks ago (only 10 shots from me) and it's on that "might be affected, I've got a *6*" list as per the service advisory but I have 4 years warranty (CC doubled the time)...I could just go to the store and get a new one with none of those numbers...I've been a customer since HS...Vistek for you Canucks as per sales they would have to check all the boxes serials .

I was a little miffed until I heard about D4s having their own minor issues, but on reading her article, I guess she doesn't/haven't heard about the lube on sensor with some 1Dxs because of the high fps...someone wants to tell her? *lol*
06-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
I just got mine couple weeks ago (only 10 shots from me) and it's on that "might be affected, I've got a *6*" list as per the service advisory but I have 4 years warranty (CC doubled the time)...I could just go to the store and get a new one with none of those numbers...I've been a customer since HS...Vistek for you Canucks as per sales they would have to check all the boxes serials .

I was a little miffed until I heard about D4s having their own minor issues, but on reading her article, I guess she doesn't/haven't heard about the lube on sensor with some 1Dxs because of the high fps...someone wants to tell her? *lol*
Vistek is probably the most revered camera store I've never bought anything from. Something about the way they do things just pushes all my buttons.

I do find it odd that you could pay that kind of money and still get your Pentax sensor stain kinds of issues with Nikon and Canon product. I guess because I read mostly this site, I was shocked when I found out how bad Pentax is. Now I'm just as shocked at how bad everyone else is. I guess with the modern philosophy of "rush things to market" and "just in time production" testing a product for a year before releasing it to the general public would be considered bad business practice. It's an odd world we live in. Testing a new product to make sure it's free of design flaws over a year of use is bad for business. Constantly angering your own customers isn't? What a way to think. But then when you see all the posts from people who are going to switch brands if they don't get 24 MP, an FF , faster AF, better flash sync, pick your needed improvement, maybe Camera execs get caught up in that kind of thing. Who knows why it's happening?
06-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think that, in general, digital technology is so new that the kind of standard engineering practice that means we have reliable cars and airplanes (no,I don't want to hear anyone's story of their Yugo) hasn't yet evolved. Add in the fact that the technology is moving forward all the time, and there are bound to be issues with new digital equipment. I'm probably too cheerful an optimist about all this, but I'm actually kind of amazed that digital cameras work at all.
06-22-2013, 05:09 PM   #13
Veteran Member

No one likes a defective product...look at what has happened with the Boeing Dreamliner. A very costly mistake that should have and could have been prevented, and even now they are not sure what the base of the problem is or if it is remedied?

Things happen in high tech devices, we all know that. We blame the Mfg, but wouldn't it be interesting if the Mfg could go online and pick apart our shots and criticize the "defects" in our shooting with their top notch cameras! Guys like me would be afraid to ever post another shot!

Regards!
06-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Vistek is probably the most revered camera store I've never bought anything from. Something about the way they do things just pushes all my buttons.

I do find it odd that you could pay that kind of money and still get your Pentax sensor stain kinds of issues with Nikon and Canon product. I guess because I read mostly this site, I was shocked when I found out how bad Pentax is. Now I'm just as shocked at how bad everyone else is. I guess with the modern philosophy of "rush things to market" and "just in time production" testing a product for a year before releasing it to the general public would be considered bad business practice. It's an odd world we live in. Testing a new product to make sure it's free of design flaws over a year of use is bad for business. Constantly angering your own customers isn't? What a way to think. But then when you see all the posts from people who are going to switch brands if they don't get 24 MP, an FF , faster AF, better flash sync, pick your needed improvement, maybe Camera execs get caught up in that kind of thing. Who knows why it's happening?
I understand your feelings with Vistek's "ambience" and leave it at that *lol*
If I didn't feel the need to shoot indoor racket sports when I came back to Pentax at the K200D ( I really miss that CCD sensor) mark I honestly would have all Pentax gear to date and shooting on GREEN

QuoteOriginally posted by bkpix Quote
I think that, in general, digital technology is so new that the kind of standard engineering practice that means we have reliable cars and airplanes (no,I don't want to hear anyone's story of their Yugo) hasn't yet evolved. Add in the fact that the technology is moving forward all the time, and there are bound to be issues with new digital equipment. I'm probably too cheerful an optimist about all this, but I'm actually kind of amazed that digital cameras work at all.
I feel the marketing department has the main say and forces the engineers to work to a date regardless of nuclear meltdowns and typhoons because prior to that Canon for example had that 1Ds? Also us the consumers do add a little to these "rushed" products...1Dx and D4 are slated for replacement announcements mid/late 2014 apparently *rumours*.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
No one likes a defective product...look at what has happened with the Boeing Dreamliner. A very costly mistake that should have and could have been prevented, and even now they are not sure what the base of the problem is or if it is remedied?

Things happen in high tech devices, we all know that. We blame the Mfg, but wouldn't it be interesting if the Mfg could go online and pick apart our shots and criticize the "defects" in our shooting with their top notch cameras! Guys like me would be afraid to ever post another shot!

Regards!
This is why I love my P&Ss, they work well in auto and if you feel you need some control there's M,A,T and the off button
06-22-2013, 10:34 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Nikon's had the edge on Canon in AF for a while now.

I think Olympus has the fastest AF on the planet, though.