Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2013, 04:33 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Finally got my hands on a FF Pentax...

Well not quite. What I did was buy a Sony A99 to use with all of my Pentax(taks etc) screwmount lenses.
On the plus side, the EVF + focus peaking really does work a treat though. - fun fun fun.

PS. I've kept all of my primary glass in the event that Pentax comes out with something with similar capabilities
in the near future. Though this should satisfy my MF fetish for the time being

1:1 CROP

Taken with TAIR-3A, developed in RAW Therapee 4.0.11.8

06-26-2013, 04:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can only agree, the Sony A99 is something Pentax could/should have done. And while we know they would have done a better job, fact remains that they didn't do it at all. The A99 is a pleasure to use.
06-26-2013, 05:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

How do the Taks perform on the Sony FF?
06-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #4
Banned

I prefer the full frame mirrorless Sony NEX-VG900 with adjustable 2.4M dot OLED EVF and LCD to use with my FF and APS-C Pentax lenses.

06-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I can only agree, the Sony A99 is something Pentax could/should have done. And while we know they would have done a better job, fact remains that they didn't do it at all. The A99 is a pleasure to use.
Hi Clavious,
I must admit that I'm really enjoying what Sony has done with the A99 as well.
Which isn't to say that it's the ultimate camera(far from it), though it really looks like it may actually be the ultimate MF camera out there in terms of system support etc. Though I get the feeling this will all change just as soon as Sony moves the mirror out of the way.

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
How do the Taks perform on the Sony FF?
For the most part, they seem to do okay though I haven't tested to see if the lenses are outresolved by the sensor. Having said that, I've limited my experience to that of the wide to normal lenses. No clue on how the tele's hold up as of yet.
06-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I thought you were going to say you got an LX, or some other film camera. Those are all full-frame!
06-26-2013, 07:39 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Interesting choice.
But why the A99 for manual lenses.
That wastes a lot of the modern features of that camera and its not cheap.
Not to mention the possibility of Sony dropping the SLT series for MILC FF and perhaps dragging down resale price of the A99 (when you want to be rid of it) and perhaps A mount lenses too.
Wouldn't a Canon 5DII work for the M42 lenses and stay cheap, while providing 24mp (if that was what you needed).
With a EE-S focusing screen, its WYSIWYG in terms of focus accuracy.
You can even get focus peaking if you install the Magic Lantern firmware.

Not trying to put your choice down, just curious on the pros on the A99 as a choice for manual lenses.
Does it take K-mounts w/o a need for conversion?

A99 is a pretty nice camera for what it is though.
I've tried it a few times.
Just that I felt that the price and advanced electronics would be wasted for manual lens use.

I have a 5D for the purpose of M42 lens use too.

Congrats on the purchase and enjoy the camera.
I'm sure you will find that most lenses still work well on FF.

06-27-2013, 08:45 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Not trying to put your choice down, just curious on the pros on the A99 as a choice for manual lenses.
The wife and I effectively changed mounts this year. I had my heart set on a MF but the cost of ownership was just to far out of there to make it happen and so I agreed on a compromise for yet another round. That being said, we were looking at the D800 but I just couldn't get passed the limited MF support that came with in terms of my favourite lenses and so we settled on a pair of A99's under the free grip and flash promotion.

As far as the camera goes, I'd say it has it's fair share of advantages insofar as MF goes. ie. the EVF really stands out outdoors and turned out to be a real boon for an eyeglass wearer like myself as I can now drop down my glasses and look through the viewfinder in complete sharpness(no need diopter adjustments etc. Likewise, the ability for focus magnification and peeking in the viewfinder puts and end to the addition of focusing screens and the likes. As for my wife, she's chosen to go the AF route by covering the 16-200 range with zooms and some key primes(35/50/85/135). Though she doesn't really seem interested in using primes given that the zooms seem to satisfy her needs quite nicely.

Aside from that, the A99 feels pretty standard within my main shooting area(M Mode). The metering seems adequate enough, though I do miss having SR with my MF lenses though. Other than that, the camera seems to be doing okay so far.

On the AF side of things, I wouldn't bother trying to convert PK lenses for the A99 myself given the assortment of HQ Minolta/Sony lenses to choose from. Though I have chosen to hold on to my Pentax primes for the time being just in case.

Hope this helps answer your questions.

PS. I almost forgot to address the future of the A-mount. As it turns out I was never one to really worry about things like that. From where I stand, we've got all the glass we'll ever need and the camera's work pretty well. And so I don't think we'd be very affected if Sony were to discontinue the A-mount anytime in the near future. My guess is that we'll likely keep these bodies for 2 years and see where things go from there. We don't shoot for money anymore and so I'm thinking the wear and tear won't be enough to warrant an aggressive maintenance schedule.
06-27-2013, 10:01 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
The wife and I effectively changed mounts this year. I had my heart set on a MF but the cost of ownership was just to far out of there to make it happen and so I agreed on a compromise for yet another round. That being said, we were looking at the D800 but I just couldn't get passed the limited MF support that came with in terms of my favourite lenses and so we settled on a pair of A99's under the free grip and flash promotion.
Thanks for sharing your views on getting the A99.
Yes, the EVF is certainly the best one out there and I have no complaints about it outdoors.

I thought of MF too earlier in the year (specifically the 645D) but thought I'd wait one more year to see if the Pentax FF would finally materialize since it would be cheaper and I don't always need 40mp files for shots after shots of my children running about.
645D prices are good too if you know where to look.
I also think those small, nice Pentax primes would be the most charming aspect of a Pentax FF. (esp. so since I've sort of experienced this on the 5D w/ Pentax lenses)
07-08-2013, 11:14 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Thanks for sharing your views on getting the A99.
Yes, the EVF is certainly the best one out there and I have no complaints about it outdoors.

I thought of MF too earlier in the year (specifically the 645D) but thought I'd wait one more year to see if the Pentax FF would finally materialize since it would be cheaper and I don't always need 40mp files for shots after shots of my children running about.
645D prices are good too if you know where to look.
I also think those small, nice Pentax primes would be the most charming aspect of a Pentax FF. (esp. so since I've sort of experienced this on the 5D w/ Pentax lenses)
Yeah, Pentax primes are on the whole impressive (made to last for ever), if not quite as sharp as some of those available for my Nikon ;-)!

Have heard a lot of good 'noise' about the A99, not least from bird photographers, as the AF seems to be second to none! Bar the Nikon 1 system maybe, when used with native lenses.

I accidentally got a Nikon V1 in my hand (began as a gift to my wife), and from that I got into F Mount lenses, and eventually a D600. With the V1 attached to my AF-S VR 80-400 + Kenko 1.4x I get perfect shots, at a focal length, in 35mm terms, that's over a meter and a half! With the D600 attached it is just 560mm :-)!

Had Pentax come up with the FF version earlier, I still be a Pentax man; had not the V1 ended up in my lap I probably be an A99 guy by now (I just love my NEX-5N)!

Congratulations to a very good camera, but I am glad I ended up with a D600. as the longer Sony lenses you can buy for your A99 are a trifle expensive, compared to Nikon's (darn expensive, too, but not quite as expensive).
07-08-2013, 11:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote

As far as the camera goes, I'd say it has it's fair share of advantages insofar as MF goes. ie. the EVF really stands out outdoors and turned out to be a real boon for an eyeglass wearer like myself as I can now drop down my glasses and look through the viewfinder in complete sharpness(no need diopter adjustments etc. Likewise, the ability for focus magnification and peeking in the viewfinder puts and end to the addition of focusing screens and the likes. As for my wife, she's chosen to go the AF route by covering the 16-200 range with zooms and some key primes(35/50/85/135). Though she doesn't really seem interested in using primes given that the zooms seem to satisfy her needs quite nicely.

Aside from that, the A99 feels pretty standard within my main shooting area(M Mode). The metering seems adequate enough, though I do miss having SR with my MF lenses though. Other than that, the camera seems to be doing okay so far.

On the AF side of things, I wouldn't bother trying to convert PK lenses for the A99 myself given the assortment of HQ Minolta/Sony lenses to choose from. Though I have chosen to hold on to my Pentax primes for the time being just in case.

Hope this helps answer your questions.

PS. I almost forgot to address the future of the A-mount. As it turns out I was never one to really worry about things like that. From where I stand, we've got all the glass we'll ever need and the camera's work pretty well. And so I don't think we'd be very affected if Sony were to discontinue the A-mount anytime in the near future. My guess is that we'll likely keep these bodies for 2 years and see where things go from there. We don't shoot for money anymore and so I'm thinking the wear and tear won't be enough to warrant an aggressive maintenance schedule.
The A99 is a great camera. What a treat to be able to enjoy a twin setup. The Sony 135 is supposed to be amazing, and the Sigma 35/1.4 would also be a great addition to your wife's kit. I am curious though, Sony's in body SR does not work with manual focus lenses? Sony is supposedly making a big commitment to the A mount this coming year, so i wouldn't worry too much about that. Also, I have to adjust the diopter on my NEX cameras, was it just set perfectly to your eye?

Last edited by kenafein; 07-08-2013 at 11:55 PM.