Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2013, 07:34 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nex 7

I'm curious to know if anyone has switched either from Nex > Pentax or the other way around? I know the Nex 7 has been around a while, and due for an upgrade, but I've sort of recently discovered it and am quite intrigued. One of the reasons I'm looking at it is the ability to use rangefinder (particularly, Voigtlander) lenses.

Is this a good companion camera, or would a DSLR and something like the Nex 7 try to fill the same niche? What about size/weight considerations, presuming the both systems would be largely limited to primes?

07-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I spent 2 months wavering over the NEX 6, and in the end, I decided it's really no more portable than a DSLR, so I bought a K-30. Most of my MF addiction is met with Takumars.
07-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

CV lenses on the NEX bodies are a treat image quality wise, th eonly on ebetween 12mm and 50mm I don't have is the 25 (all screw mount). Be aware that if you shoot UWA on a NEX 7 you're going to get vignette and color shift. Some of us get that even on the 5N. But it can be dealt with, it just adds a couple of steps to the workflow.

I guess it depends on what you shoot. I find that on the 5N the CV lenses are hard to handle even with the EVF attached. Because they are so small, and the body is so small it's really hard (for me) to physically manipulate the pair to focus quickly. The NEX 6 or 7 bodies will be better because they are bigger than the 5 series. If you zone focus for most things that issue is pretty much moot. I use the CV lenses off a tripod mostly so the relatively slow lenses don't bother me. Might be an issue if you hand hold them, especially at night. Unless you spring big bucks for the fast ones. Which aren't all that much smaller/lighter than their SLR counterparts.

I now shoot solely with the 5N, sold my K20 after a year of it sitting in the bag unused. Do I miss the SLR? Sometimes, but not often enough that I'm plotting which SLR to get to replace the K20, YMMV depending on your needs.
07-02-2013, 11:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The NEX-7 won't work well with VL RF lenses. NEX-5n, NEX-5r, NEX-6 all are better match for this task.

07-03-2013, 12:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't shoot wide a lot, so the extra resolution of the 7 is tempting. You can't shoot RF glass wider than 28 on the 7 without the color cast issue. Even 28 can be a problem for some lenses. I have to think the price will finally drop, substantially, on this camera after the next model comes out. For wider shots, pick up the Sigma 19mm, or use an slr lens. All that said, I have a nex 6. I bought it for the pdaf and for the value.

Like Bimjo, I found myself using my slr less and less. The NEX is more compact and more fun, even with the terrible ergonomics(7 is better here). I do miss my K5 sometimes, but the NEX is a better camera for me and I couldn't support two systems.
07-03-2013, 05:40 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for all the info, everyone. Maybe when the new iteration of Nex 7 comes out, it'll be worth a look. I think what I'd really like to see is a Pentax mirrorless that can use rangefinder lenses with a K-mount adapter enabling full functionality of the lenses I already have. But you know what they say... if wishes were horses...

Cheers!
07-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I don't have NEX 7 but do have 5n and now I don't feel like using DSLR - my both kx are just sitting idle.

07-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #8
MJL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use NEX7 mainly for getting large images from legacy SLR lenses because Pentax doesn't have any 24M camera yet. This is also the lowest price 24M camera on the market as far as I know. However, you should consider the following drawbacks first:

SEL lenses are very expensive.
No optical viewfinder.
Almost impossible to use off camera flash even with the $100 hotshoe adapter.
Slow shooting speed compare to most dSLRs.
No interval / time lapse function.
Cannot accept any external control or communication such as WiFi, mobile phone Apps etc.
The manual/control arrangement is for geeks.
07-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJL Quote
I use NEX7 mainly for getting large images from legacy SLR lenses because Pentax doesn't have any 24M camera yet. This is also the lowest price 24M camera on the market as far as I know. However, you should consider the following drawbacks first:

SEL lenses are very expensive.
No optical viewfinder.
Almost impossible to use off camera flash even with the $100 hotshoe adapter.
Slow shooting speed compare to most dSLRs.
No interval / time lapse function.
Cannot accept any external control or communication such as WiFi, mobile phone Apps etc.
The manual/control arrangement is for geeks.
The hotshoe adapter is $25, if you want to go to a standard hotshoe. I have the Sony hvl-f43am(old style minolta), for my NEX 6 w/ the other version of the adapter, and it works as well as it does on other Sony bodies(Including HSS). I was also able to trigger my Yongnuo yn-560 ii from my NEX-5n, with a cheap trigger. I haven't tested my Cactus 5s yet. The lenses are pricey, but they do include motors and OIS, at least; and the build quality is high.
07-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #10
Banned

Trey Ratcliff dumps his D800 for the NEX-7 !

QuoteQuote:
Is the Sony NEX-7 WAY better than the my previous camera, the Nikon D800? No. Is it better enough to switch? Definitely.
Hello Sony. Goodbye Nikon. The Story of why I am Switching from Nikon to Sony.

QuoteQuote:
Sergey Brin from Google, Kai Wong from Digital Rev, Gordon Laing from CameraLabs.com, Keith Barrett from Vidcast Network, and I (Trey Ratcliff from StuckInCustoms.com) talk about the Sony NEX-7 camera

07-05-2013, 05:22 AM   #11
MJL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
The hotshoe adapter is $25, if you want to go to a standard hotshoe. I have the Sony hvl-f43am(old style minolta), for my NEX 6 w/ the other version of the adapter, and it works as well as it does on other Sony bodies(Including HSS). I was also able to trigger my Yongnuo yn-560 ii from my NEX-5n, with a cheap trigger. I haven't tested my Cactus 5s yet. The lenses are pricey, but they do include motors and OIS, at least; and the build quality is high.
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
The hotshoe adapter is $25,
Not sure how can you get the NEX7 adapter that cheap? I paid $99 + shipping + tax from B&H:

Sony FA-HS1AM Hot Shoe Adapter FA-HS1AM B&H Photo Video
07-05-2013, 05:49 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I'm using the NEX7 in addition to my Pentax gear. Actually, I use the NEX7 professionally. It's ideal for studio product photografy. The viewfinder is vastly superior to the K-5 viewfinder. Bigger, brighter, sharper and it has peaking/zooming/etc. Moreover, a problem with DSLRs in macro-work is mirror slap. I always needed to work around that with the K-5. But this is not present in the NEX. The ideal tool for many of my jobs. It just needs to be bigger: SLR sized!

I wouldn't buy it for compactness. I wouldn't know what lens would make the NEX pocketable. So, it's just as cumbersome as any DSLR, imo.
07-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I'm using the NEX7 in addition to my Pentax gear. Actually, I use the NEX7 professionally. It's ideal for studio product photografy. The viewfinder is vastly superior to the K-5 viewfinder. Bigger, brighter, sharper and it has peaking/zooming/etc. Moreover, a problem with DSLRs in macro-work is mirror slap. I always needed to work around that with the K-5. But this is not present in the NEX. The ideal tool for many of my jobs. It just needs to be bigger: SLR sized!

I wouldn't buy it for compactness. I wouldn't know what lens would make the NEX pocketable. So, it's just as cumbersome as any DSLR, imo.
Do you have a K-01? Or did you require a viewfinder? You might be interested in the new mirror-less Alpha cameras or the E/A hybrid(rumor) cameras coming out. They will be more DSLR sized. Personally, I find the camera is very compact and lightweight, especially with the pancakes(16mm, 20mm, 16-50mm). With the pancakes the camera will easily fit in a jacket pocket. Still, some of their lenses are way too large. Samsung makes much more compact lenses, and the SEL5018 dwarfs the FA50/1.4.
07-05-2013, 08:11 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJL Quote
Not sure how can you get the NEX7 adapter that cheap? I paid $99 + shipping + tax from B&H:

Sony FA-HS1AM Hot Shoe Adapter FA-HS1AM B&H Photo Video

For NEX 7 -> Standard Hot Shoe
Sony Auto-Lock Shoe Adapter ADPAMA B&H Photo Video

For NEX 6 -> Minolta/Sony Hot Shoe
Sony Multi-Interface Shoe Adapter ADPMAA B&H Photo Video

I bought the second one, because they are in a state of transition right now. All their flash units are for the old style hot shoe.
07-06-2013, 01:42 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote

I went to the local Best Buy today and handled a NEX6*, which was the closest they had to a NEX7. Even with the security anchor attached, it felt quite good in the hand, light, and seemed easy to control. It's hard to know for sure with the anchor in place, but I was fairly impressed. I was also impressed with the viewfinder... big and fairly responsive. I also like having it on the left edge of the camera, so my gigantic nose has somewhere to go.

Are any of you guys using a NEX variant with K, M, or A lenses? Also, what's the deal with RF lenses on the NEX7 that makes them undesirable, or more specifically, why isn't this a problem with other NEXes?

* Note that this cannot be done with any Pentax camera.