Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
low key in broad daylight

So tried some really low key photos last night with some music friends. They like dark, mysteryious, anoymous style photos, which can be tricky to do in broad daylight....unless you got a few flashguns.

07-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Very innovative, and very well executed, too!
07-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
very nice!
07-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
very nice!
QuoteOriginally posted by tlong423 Quote
Very innovative, and very well executed, too!
thanks guys! It was a lot of fun to do, and it was really just a trial run for an onlocation shoot that will be mixed with some light painting techniques. This was done with two 400w Elinchrom strobes and two SB700 flashguns. The person stood directly in front of the strobe and the other strobe was used to give some highlights, the flashguns to wrap the light around the body a bit. Got way too much of the background (a crummy chainlink fence) so had to darken the images a lot more than I wanted too... but lessons learned.

We will be trying this again in a remote location in a few weeks, but will not be able to power the elinchrom strobes, so it should be interesting!

07-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Are you using HSS?
07-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
Are you using HSS?
yes, I found favourable results upto 1/320, but changed my plan during post processing. Originally I was going to keep the bursts of light from the Elinchroms in the photos, it was a neat effect. But while editing I decided it looked much better to black out the backdrop. So because of my original vision I dropped the shutter speed and opened up a bit to get more highlight detail. It worked in the end for everything but when the starbursts from the strobes crossed over on the person (visible in the first photo if you look at her back)