Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
07-12-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nikon J1 with kit 10-30mm

Newly acquired and already a favourite of mine..

And an attempt at a closeup on a dandelion... a bit less sharp than I would have wanted, but there arent any close focus CX lenses. I do hope that changes. Think I might have to acquire the 30-110 for this kind of thing.

07-12-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Some nice shots.

They sell Refurbished 30-110 lenses, at cameta, for $99.95. Enjoy the 1 system. My only experience has been with the V1, which is a really nice camera, but it's a bit too big, considering the sensor size. The J1 is much more compact. The 18mm lens is a real winner by the way.
07-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

nice. How about low light photos?
07-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
nice. How about low light photos?
Not so crash hot. Well, I was shooting my cat in the loungeroom on the first night after the battery charged, only some lamplight and it was pretty muddy. However, I was not used to the camera and have a ways to go. I suspect that the 18 and 32mm will be much better in low light, they are much faster lenses. The 10-30 is not much chop, but I will be trying again I do a lot of low light.

07-12-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Some nice shots.
Thanks you!

QuoteQuote:

They sell Refurbished 30-110 lenses, at cameta, for $99.95. Enjoy the 1 system. My only experience has been with the V1, which is a really nice camera, but it's a bit too big, considering the sensor size. The J1 is much more compact. The 18mm lens is a real winner by the way.
OH! Must look into the refurbs. Just didnt occur to me, because in Oz, we dont get that kind of thing (like we dont often get the chance to buy second hand from dealers, and do tradeins... the dealers just arent interested in that part of the market)

Yes, looking forward to buying the 18... and the 32 *groan* (maybe when it comes down in price somewhat... still new)
07-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
Thanks you!

OH! Must look into the refurbs. Just didnt occur to me, because in Oz, we dont get that kind of thing (like we dont often get the chance to buy second hand from dealers, and do tradeins... the dealers just arent interested in that part of the market)

Yes, looking forward to buying the 18... and the 32 *groan* (maybe when it comes down in price somewhat... still new)
Didn't notice you were in Australia. You must be really committed to the system to buy the 32. The price on that thing is outrageous; and it would be difficult to stomach at half off.
07-13-2013, 01:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Didn't notice you were in Australia. You must be really committed to the system to buy the 32. The price on that thing is outrageous; and it would be difficult to stomach at half off.
LOL. Not so much committed but perhaps inured to the expense somewhat from having bought several Pentax primes over the years. I'll wait. The price will come down. But, I am going to get that 18... I like that focal length. I'm also going to get the adapter to use with my DA15 and DA 35. I think my other lenses are going to be WAY too big... I'd need a collar and tripod and I dont have a collar.

08-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
LOL. Not so much committed but perhaps inured to the expense somewhat from having bought several Pentax primes over the years. I'll wait. The price will come down. But, I am going to get that 18... I like that focal length. I'm also going to get the adapter to use with my DA15 and DA 35. I think my other lenses are going to be WAY too big... I'd need a collar and tripod and I dont have a collar.
Sadly the end result here was that I cannot use the DA lenses because the adapter does not have any focus confirmation... and the DA lenses (of course) don't have aperture rings. I can use the k55 and horusbennu 50 and they work OK but nothing startling. I think maybe for this, just the native lenses. Perhaps in time an FT adapter and an inexpensive Nikon lens or two. The native FT adapter has all the connections you need to make good use of Nikon lenses.
08-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some very nice shots, looks like you have a winner there! Neat little cameras, and I love small Toy Cameras more than most, I do believe! Lots of fun and bang in a small package, enjoy!

Regards!
08-05-2013, 03:05 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Some very nice shots, looks like you have a winner there! Neat little cameras, and I love small Toy Cameras more than most, I do believe! Lots of fun and bang in a small package, enjoy!

Regards!
Thanks, Rupert, kind of you to say so I've kinda left everything else I own alone since buying the J1.

Can't buy from Cameta (well I can, but the hoops I have to jump through before they will approve a credit card purchase... just ridiculous... opted not to bother) so no V1 yet. Maybe second hand in time, as people move up to the more chunky V2.

Today, though, I finally bought a viewfinder to plug into the Olympus XZ-1 so will be playing with that alongside the J1 over the next few days (weeks?). Poor K5, X100 and GRD are being ignored Divorce is in the wind.
08-05-2013, 03:09 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
And here's more

The following was fairly low light, but it has been processed a lot as well. 10mm lens at f/2.8

In fact, you can assume I process everything

08-05-2013, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Some nice shots, especially 1 and 3. Thanks for reminding me that cats can be cute. I've had trouble with feral cats in my neighborhood.
08-06-2013, 09:27 PM - 1 Like   #13

I must also confess, I've cheated, and just ordered my wife a Nikon J1 with kit 10-30mm in white. At a party, my friend had a J1 (or something in the 1 series) that my wife loved the size of. I sent in my K-30 along w/ DA* 60-250 to get calibrated @ CRIS, but forgot our son's baptism was this coming weekend...oops! I tried showing her the Pentax mirrorless cameras and some other ones, but she was having none of it - eew not that one, it's too big/ugly!!

With the current sale at B&H ($299), I couldn't find a better value and am having it express mailed in time for the weekend. Seeing these pics brought a smile to my face - I was hoping I wouldn't end up with flat P&S looking pictures and it looks like the J1 can do just that! I will also have to look into getting the 18.5mm lens for low-light/portraits...maybe this x-mas?!

Glad another I can commiserate with another Pentaxian over my foibles At least I will now have some major brownie points banked for a couple of days
08-11-2013, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #14

Well we've had the J1 for a few days/events - everyone seems to love the camera and how simple it is to get near-SLR like images from it - it has a "smile detector" that takes advantage of its mirror-less design where it takes a 1 or 2 second series of full-resolution pictures at something like 60 fps and then picks the one with the best smile and saves it. Pretty accurate, to my surprise! If you look up close at the pictures the limitations of the 10MP sensor and kit lens (not sure which is the culprit yet) can be seen, but I have seen no CA (even when shooting into the light), and sharpness/rendering/color is decent for what it is. Can't keep up with the K-30/FA Limiteds, but definitely printable at decent sizes.
09-07-2013, 10:28 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slipdm16 Quote
Well we've had the J1 for a few days/events - everyone seems to love the camera and how simple it is to get near-SLR like images from it - it has a "smile detector" that takes advantage of its mirror-less design where it takes a 1 or 2 second series of full-resolution pictures at something like 60 fps and then picks the one with the best smile and saves it. Pretty accurate, to my surprise! If you look up close at the pictures the limitations of the 10MP sensor and kit lens (not sure which is the culprit yet) can be seen, but I have seen no CA (even when shooting into the light), and sharpness/rendering/color is decent for what it is. Can't keep up with the K-30/FA Limiteds, but definitely printable at decent sizes.
Indeed it can't but for most purposes its actually really good. I liked mine so much I also bought the V1. I could only get that in a twin kit but it was at half retail so I didn't mind too much. Now, I carry both cameras, the J1 with the 10-30, the V1 with the 30-110 and the 10mm floating loose in the bag. I didnt even unwrap the 10-30 that came with the V1 so if at any time I decide to sell the J1 with 10-30, I'll sell the pristine one.

Might make a V1 thread, or rather, a Nikon1 thread so it wont matter which flavour one has, for posting Later.