Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2013, 03:53 AM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blind-bat Quote
Extremely poor behavior when you think of it,...asking a manufacturer to be a sponsor so that you can push their product to increase sales while taking a public stance that the same product is not worth buying.
I think that most of us buy our gear because we believe in it, i know i do, so I find it distasteful that a person making a decent living out of photography could just use whatever was dished up for free.

07-29-2013, 03:59 AM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by blind-bat Quote
Extremely poor behavior when you think of it,...asking a manufacturer to be a sponsor so that you can push their product to increase sales while taking a public stance that the same product is not worth buying.
Pentaxians need not be sad. Ben did not have nice words for Canon when he left in 2007 either:
"Just an opinion. I think Canon has gone off track recently and are in the process of loosing clients due to their recent complacency."
And Pentaxians will always be the best photographers in his eyes:
"Thanks to all of you at Pentax DPreviews and Pentax Forums. A more talented group of shooters I have never met."
Poor Nikonians...

Last edited by Class A; 07-29-2013 at 09:04 AM.
07-29-2013, 04:11 AM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

A lot of this seems to be driven by our need as users of a particular brand of camera to have someone "represent" us in a professional capacity in order to prove to others potentially criticizing us on our choice of camera-brand or suggesting we might not be serious in our photography. If we didn't need that validation by a professional, this guy wouldn't have been able to whip up the storm he did or waste the forumspace in this manner.

I, for one, have no issue with anyone choosing a different camera-brand for any reason at any time. I do not feel the need to point to someone else using Pentax in a professional capacity to justify my own choices.

The times that any "serious" taxi driver would be forced to drive a Mercedes in order to be taken seriously are long gone as well. I'd suggest letting it go - I'd expect anyone trying to make a living off photography in these times do whatever the heck he feels is right. If the guy felt that his Pentax was cramping his style or negatively impacting his products, he has acted sensibly. If he was just influenced by hearsay or by being made fun of the professionals he bumps into, same thing applies. If he was just throwing a tantrum for not getting any freebies from Pentax: fine as well.

Let's put it like this: I have really, really enjoyed and respected (in order of appearance on my personal stage) my K100D, K20D and K-5, as well as the glass I purchased but have no feelings whatsoever for the respective companies that have owned the brand-name over the years. If you'd tell me tomorrow I'd be using a Nikon, Canon or Olympus, I'd have no issue with that at all. I judge the camera and how it fits my needs, rather than either the brand shown by the nameplate or the company that owns the brand to begin with.

The fact that one fashion photographer has chosen to start using a different brand from the one I am using seems far from having any impact on me whatsoever.
07-29-2013, 06:10 AM - 2 Likes   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
The fact that one fashion photographer has chosen to start using a different brand from the one I am using seems far from having any impact on me whatsoever.

I fail to see how anyone can perceive what motivated him to change systems outside of what he stated. Wave good-bye as he drives off down the road and go out and enjoy your gear.

Tim

07-29-2013, 07:05 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Where I come from there's a thing called 'depreciation for tax purposes' and as such you don't really pay for it in the end anyway.
This statement is so wrong
07-29-2013, 07:10 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nothing negative to say about Ben, but he has sort of had a hate-hate relationship with Pentax. They dropped him back in 2008 and since then, things are either great or terrible, depending on his day. I don't buy the 40 percent auto focus miss rate in studio setting. It just doesn't make any sense to me. It's not like it's sports photography, but I guess life is too short to shoot with something that is so frustrating...
07-29-2013, 07:55 AM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

Benjamin, my daughter is at the other end of photography -- she's takend college courses and now is a photo major at Pace University. Her two complaints about the Pentax K-x were the unreliable focus, and the difficulty she had in exposing with studio lights (even her teacher couldn't figure that one out)... She has been agitating for a Nikon for a while now. Perhaps I was overly brand-loyal, or perhaps I just wasted some dollars, but I bought a K-30 to swap with her -- I use the K-x - to see if that helps.

Unfortunately your experience seems to point the way to Nikon for us as well. My main problem is that if it were just for her a D7000 would be fine (for me, really, also); but as this may be my one opportunity for some years to go full frame, and as I have manual focus (plus film era AF) Nikkors, I'm really tempted to reach for a D600.

If you're not going to be posting here any longer, please let us know your new hang out, as I've always enjoyed your posts and articles.
thanks

07-29-2013, 08:03 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
ironically, Ben is the one whom, I think, for me, show why equipment is not important, but photographer is.
Well, will see how Nikon D600 works for him...
You said it. It's not the gear but the photographer. So, rationally, the D600 will work out fine as with any other camera he would purchase.
07-29-2013, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
I fail to see how anyone can perceive what motivated him to change systems outside of what he stated.
What he states just isn't plausible.

What's all this talk about "going Medium format..." that he does not care to clarify?

Why put up with terrible AF for so long and then suddenly change your whole gear based on a comment of a retoucher?

He dodges the questions whether the K20D has created the same problems and why he hasn't tried the K-5 II before switching systems.

EDIT: He now says that he had similar problems with the K20D and the K10D. That means five years of putting up with AF problems. Why?

Only he knows what the real reasons are, but his story just doesn't make much sense.

Last edited by Class A; 07-30-2013 at 03:39 AM.
07-29-2013, 08:43 AM   #40
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
What he states just isn't plausible.

What's all this talk about "going Medium format..." that he does not care to clarify?

Why put up with terrible AF for so long and then suddenly change your whole gear based on a comment of a retoucher?

He dodges the questions whether the K20D has created the same problems and why he hasn't tried the K-5 II before switching systems.

Only he knows what the real reasons are, but his story just doesn't make much sense.
The realilty is that most of us non-pros do exactly that and the camera companies know that we get married to them- the lenses. The actual investment. The expensive part. Most of you are acting like he just bought a body, but he had to buy a system and we know that they won't be cheap. Who knows if he had to save to get what he would work with daily. Unfortunately, I read a lot of jealousy in some of these posts, which is really unfortunate.
07-29-2013, 08:49 AM   #41
Veteran Member

To say Pentax has never had AF issues would be na´ve (I went round n round with them over a bad lens to no avail myself ) but 40% failure sounds a bit over the top.
Ben is out.
I still shoot Pentax but primarily with MF lenses and older bodies.
That said ... Pentax if you read this and want to sponsor an art photographer with an impressive resume and portfolio look me up and lets talk!
07-29-2013, 09:40 AM - 6 Likes   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
To say Pentax has never had AF issues would be na´ve (I went round n round with them over a bad lens to no avail myself ) but 40% failure sounds a bit over the top.
Ben is out.
I still shoot Pentax but primarily with MF lenses and older bodies.
That said ... Pentax if you read this and want to sponsor an art photographer with an impressive resume and portfolio look me up and lets talk!
As I said...I don't like having 30-40 percent of my images not able to focus where I point my camera. I had enough! I was literally suffering from Pre-Production Blur Neurosis, where before every shoot I wasn't sure which images that I really would have loved to present to the magazine would be out of focus and my retoucher would have to comp another head on to the body because, when I focussed on the eye of the model the feet would be sharper than the face. I would literally go in to a minor depression before each shoot, not feeling secure that I would get the kind of results I wanted.

When I say blurry, I mean less sharp on the area I focus on than the area I am not focussed on. Now, if you don't believe me, you are at liberty to speak with some of the retouch artists I have worked with. The results were really haphazard. One day I would get 10-20 percent just okay where I expect to be in focus and other days 30-40 percent. I twas never consistent. Even after calibration, my system would not focus as set under different lighting conditions. When I used Canon, the thought of being out of focus was never even a consideration as so few images were out of focus, I would chock it up to pilot error.

No, my new reality is that I showed up to my shoot for ELLE magazine with my Nikon D600, having never used it professionally, set my focus point and shot over 700 images for a 10 page editorial and none of the images were out of focus. I mean "Zero"...

That is all expect of my material. No excuses. No rationals..Just being able to get on with what I was hired to do in the first place.

If Pentax were able to give me that, we wouldn't be having this conversation. I stayed with them through thick and thin and the event that broke the camel's back was when our primary re-touch artist said..."why are so many of your images not very sharp on the face? That's not bad as it makes my job easier..." That is when my Producer said..."enough is enough, you are getting another system. I don't care what, just get something that works! I mean everything is shot at optimal aperture between f5.6 and f11.0 at optimal shutter speeds as well for flash. What else do I have to do? Use a tape measure to execute my focussing? There you have it...That's all folks...Sorry...really very sorry...Ben.

PS...You are an incredible bunch of very, very talented photographers and better than most I have seen on other forums. So do what you do and do it with love, passion and deliberation.
07-29-2013, 10:07 AM   #43
Veteran Member

So he was shooting at apertures of 5.6 - 11 in what I guess was perfect lighting conditions... and he was still getting blurred faces... !?
I'm afraid I have to call BS as well.

I respect his choice, but don't put dirt on something that doesn't deserves it...

I'm not a what you might call pro... but even I in less perfect conditions I managed to get a proper focus with my K5...
07-29-2013, 10:23 AM - 2 Likes   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
It is possible, BUT I know several concert pros/music photographers in Europe doing the same. One of the prolific ones I'm friendly with just picked up a 6D and currently doing most shoots with it.

Some will argue that a 5DII/III (the industry standard) isn't a pro model, either, but adapted because it was quite good.
It also might be speed. When I went from D600 to D800 I took a huge hit in buffer speed. He also may not use 1/8000 or some of the extra features so why no opt for the less expensive model?

Myself personally the image quality jump from the 600-800 was worth it, as we're the flash sync speeds.

That being said, for my concert work I'm going to continue with the K5 as it's the better tool.

So that could be the primary reason....he doesn't find the need for the most expensive and latest gear to get the quality he wants.

07-29-2013, 10:28 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
If Pentax were able to give me that, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Pentax is able to give you that.

In the form of a K-5 II.

Perhaps not for free. But the K-5 II represents excellent value for money and would have been a lot cheaper than a D600 with three new lenses.

It wasn't really necessary to repeat the same story again. It would have been more interesting to learn what happened to the "Medium format" plans, whether the K20Ds caused the same issues, and why you didn't at least try a K-5 II. And why you've put up with this allegedly atrocious AF performance for years and years.
Closed Thread