Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 67 Likes Search this Thread
07-30-2013, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #91
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Apparently, very professional, as many low to mid-level public figures do it themselves - albeit usually using a publicist, or friends IP address.
I don't see how unprofessional behaviour becomes "professional", in the true sense of the word, just because it is practised a lot.

I buy it, at least the majority of it, because it mirrors what I've been seeing in camera forums since 2007, when I began to pay attention - a cathartic even breaks the camel's back, causing one to take inventory and come to some sometimes hard conclusions about one's equipment choices.
That's cool.

I have no problem with you buying the story. I just don't find it plausible to put up with such a handicap if your livelihood depends on it.

Be that as it may, the professional way to deal with the switch, AFAIC, would have been to say "I loved my time with Pentax. They make great cameras with a great build quality and excellent ergonomics and their lenses are unique. As a matter of fact, I like the size and rendering of my Pentax lenses so much, I'll keep my favourites and a camera for private use. As a professional, it became time to move to a full-frame camera. The Nikon D600 gives me everything I need and I'm starting to explore the benefits of being a full-frame Nikon shooter.".

Would that been dishonest? I don't think so. It would have avoided burning the bridge to Pentax (and to any potential sponsor, for that matter). And putting oneself in a bit of a strange light (requiring a supporting team member to point out that standards are not being met). I cannot shake off the feeling that something went wrong during recent discussions with Pentax -- remember the "going Medium format" announcement just some days ago? -- and that the whole "Pentax AF sucks"-story is a bit of a payback for things not working out. I could be wrong. Totally.

07-30-2013, 07:33 AM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suggest to any of the people who criticized Ben (in very broad sense of word "criticize", because some of it was quite immature in my personal view) attempt a mind experiment and put themselves in his shoes... Then talk... It is for the reason that only very few professionals shoot Pentax. And whether it is to one's liking or not - this is fact of life.

I sincerely wish Ben the best in his artful work.
07-30-2013, 07:41 AM   #93
Veteran Member

I added more Pentax gear to my kit due to Ben

I added more Pentax gear to my kit due to Ben.
Back when I lurked here in early 2007, Ben's art & his insider info hinting that Pentax France thought full frame was just right around the corner made me buy deeply into Pentax. I'd get calls from my favorite local shop when some K Mount lens treasure had just arrived & was available for me to take home & test out.

I stopped lurking here in July 2008 & joined Pentax Forums.

I stopped rewarding Pentax USA with money after my K20D purchase for Christmas 2008 & I since then I have shopped deeply elsewhere & got most of my full frame desires met.

I've noticed when someone leaves the Pentax Cult I am reminded how the last great camera issued wasn't really all that improved over their last dslr.

I did not buy a K-7, K-5 or K-5II. Thats a tidy $3,000+ saved I spent on other brand gear.

As I own both Canon & Nikon Full Frame I follow other forums & look foward to seeing Benji elsewhere.

Due to this lovely chat spot in "off topics "at PF I read up on a host of off brand experiences.

I look foward to reading about the good & bad with Ben's D600. It seems Nikon has sorted out the long protracted quality control issues & now someone like Ben can be in awe of its output on day one! He has once again influenced a purchase possibility, though this time in Nikon's favor. I buy gear during Thanksgiving sales due to best bang for my buck.

D600 had dropped off my shopping radar infavor of buying nothing in 2013.

Ben, you should try out 14-24mm 2.8 Crystal Nanocoat ED Nikkor. Its easily my favorite lens I own for vacations & odd things I capture. It is an acquired taste, maybe not so much for fashion but a big plus for holiday trips.

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
This is NOT an inquisition. I know how to use a camera and most certainly do not have to explain myself to you.

I taught photography as a guest professor at the Sorbonne School in Orleans, France. Was the Canon Photographer of the Year in France. Was sponsored by Canon, Bronica, Agfa and Pentax and have won multiple awards in photography including the Marie Claire Gold Medal for best advertising campaign for LUX soap. Have had exhibitions at the Arles Festival and the International Festival of Fashion Photography every year in Cannes since 2007 as well as permanent expositions at LUMAS Galleries World Wide Benjamin Kanarek - Tableaux, photographie, art photographique en ligne chez LUMAS and finally, had my images exposed at the Pentax Stand in Paris.

I have worked for magazines the likes of:

Cosmopolitan (France and Italy)

Dépêche Mode

ELLE (Spain, Mexico, Vietnam, Portugal and Greece)

Fashion District News

Fashion Magazine

Flare

Glamour (France)

Harper’s BAZAAR (China, en Español & Latin America, Hong Kong, Italy)

Jardin des Modes

Jill

L’Officiel Paris

Madame Figaro

New York Daily News

New York Times Magazine

Oyster

Tank

VOGUE (China, Portugal, Brasil, Italia, Paris and South America & Mexico), RG VOGUE Brasil

Votre Beauté

W

WestEast

WWD

Yo Dona

I stayed with Pentax because like many, I was hoping for a fix and when my camera was supposedly fixed by Pentax, it would act up very quickly afterwards. The results were inconsistent, thus my hesitancy, which was also based on my loyalty to the brand the people using the system and the people at Pentax.

Thus what YOU think is meaningless. My reasons are my reasons and nobody else's. So "me thinks" it best to give it a rest!

Last edited by Samsungian; 07-30-2013 at 07:47 AM.
07-30-2013, 07:54 AM   #94
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
He has once again influenced a purchase possibility, though this time in Nikon's favor.
Why do you care about other people's gear choices?

Shouldn't you evaluate gear based on your personal, individual needs?

07-30-2013, 08:03 AM   #95
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
obviously, you are outright lying.

I'm looking for signs of un-reason in your post, and can't find any. I'll continue to look harder.

lol! :d
07-30-2013, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
No need to hope.

I can promise you that the K-5 II is different. I'm sure it will fully convince you.

I hope you'll find an easy way to convince yourself.

P.S.: I was already wondering about this when Ben mentioned the same approach, i.e., calibrate the camera one day and then use it the next day in different lighting conditions. If there is a known problem, why not calibrate it then and there with the actual lighting conditions? It doesn't take long, does it?
I guess it's hard once one looses faith to jump back in. If I could go to a shop and try one out, maybe I could feel more comfortable.

As far as calibrating every time I use it is concerned, I don't want to have to spend the time checking the calibration of 3-4 lenses I'll probably use that day. The time is better spent thinking of the artistic aspects of the shoot. I shouldn't have to worry about the equipment.
07-30-2013, 08:13 AM - 2 Likes   #97
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Okay, this one's done.
There were some valid questions posed here; some answered to people's satisfaction, some not. It doesn't matter. Ben didn't start the thread. He didn't ask for all the drama.

In the immortal words of Porky Pig:
ebedee, ebedee, th that's all folks...................

Last edited by Parallax; 07-30-2013 at 08:23 AM.
Closed Thread