Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2013, 02:50 AM   #1
Forum Member

If I was going to buy a second Nikon DSLR

Which should it be?

Having never used anything other than Pentax I'd like to have a play with something else and Nikon seem to be pretty decent. I have a couple of Nikon Film cameras but know very little about the Dslrs.

Don't want to be spending huge amounts but compatibility with my AF 50mm and a couple of AF zooms would be nice. Been thinking about the D70 as they can be picked up for very little, but jumping to D80 doesn't appear to cost much more. D90 has been an outside bet...........

Based in the UK so not sure if that might change nomenclature or not...

07-31-2013, 03:52 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Was listening to a D90 owner clicking away next to me at an event this past Sunday. Very nice shutter sound. But I was very happy to have my weathersealed K-5 out!
07-31-2013, 04:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Your nikon lens are manual focus or autofocus ? depending on this aspect, check the Nikon website to make sure you get a body that can take advantage of it.

I suggest you that because the Nikon entry level body usually only work with autofocus lenses, and not manual focus lenses.
07-31-2013, 05:13 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
They're autofocus, I was considering the D90 as apparently it does have an internal motor as well as being the one to have when I got my K200d so comparisons are actually useful!

I have a K5 with DA* zooms so high quality, high ISO etc is covered, just like to see something different and see if it changes my workflow a bit! It's not for replacement, curiosity as I do quite like my F70.....

I presume all the Nikon Dslrs have similar essential layouts so I can see how i like it? The same way the basics are similar on Pentax?

07-31-2013, 06:44 AM   #5

The D80 was my first digital camera, and even with the kit lens can produce very decent pics
Here are a few from a trip to Costa rica many years ago

07-31-2013, 07:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Im not a Nikon user, but I am not sure buying a Nikon on a budget is worth it. Basically, the D7000 has the same sensor as K-5, K-01, K-30 and K-500, but it still costs quite a lot. I would only go Nikon if I needed something that Pentax doesn't offer, like a certain lens or flash system. And in that case, one should expect to pay a fair bit. At lower budgets, Pentax is best bang for buck, and it will work with all the Pentax gear you already have.
07-31-2013, 07:40 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
think twice about that D90. I borrowed one for a spell and was appalled at how poorly laid out the menus and navigation were. It pales next to the older Pentax equivalents, IMO. Poor Nikonians don't know how good we got it.

07-31-2013, 11:31 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
Poor Nikonians don't know how good we got it.
That may be the case. But going from Pentax to Nikon didn't make any difference, menu-wise, to me. I learned where things are, adapted and got on with the business of picture taking. My most valued feature of a DSLR is when I look through the view finder, see an expression and snap the picture the camera takes the shot now; not 0.2 or so seconds from now kind of thing.
08-04-2013, 01:21 PM   #9
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
think twice about that D90. I borrowed one for a spell and was appalled at how poorly laid out the menus and navigation were. It pales next to the older Pentax equivalents, IMO. Poor Nikonians don't know how good we got it.
+1
Back at the end of 2011 when I was changing systems I went to store and played with D7000 and was appalled. Then later when I was trying D700 I managed to work my way around but I still consider Nikon`s menus the worst I`ve tried. IQ wise though, they have been using some great sensors. D80 you are looking at has the same/very similar sensor to K10D which at low ISO is still hard to beat IMO. D70 is using the same sensor as K100D and most Pentax/Minolta DSLRs prior that model. Still a decent sensor. D90 is using the same sensor as K-x hence bit stronger AA filter but great high IS. In my opinion if you want it for a fun next to K-5 go for D80. I doubt you`ll regret.

My 2p