Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do NOT get a Canon 5D3 *update* ANY CANON product :)

My 5D3 which i've only used for ~300 shots has just died!

I got the "ERR 80" then it went "KAPUT", i should have stayed with Pentax

Hopefully i don't get the run around when i take it in....in all my years shooting on auto, this is the first time i can think off that a camera died on me

*before anyone asks, YES, i did try it in manual and still nada*

luckily i just finished some tiling so right now, i'm "emotionless" after a good nights sleep, i'll be cussing early in the morning!

Last edited by Clicker; 08-02-2013 at 05:30 PM.
07-31-2013, 04:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's painful, but they'll fix it. Sorry it had to happen to you, but it's a good thing they have warranties. For something as expensive as that, you'd think they'd give you a 5 year warranty.
07-31-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It will get fixed but i'll most likely go back to 4X5 with B&W, in the process of setting up my darkroom again ...i've thought long and hard about this move and this new issue isn't helping, i don't like the "new" digital ...i'm going to run back to film.
07-31-2013, 08:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

A quick Google shows it to be a surprisingly common error on 5D3's and other Canon bodies.

It's amusing to read from the Google results the variety of suggested remedies people have about the problem (clean the contacts, change batteries, don't use 3rd party batteries, don't use Sigma lenses, it's a card error etc etc) even though the posters really have no clue about what is causing the error, since the error code is so cryptic.

Sounds familiar

07-31-2013, 08:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
A quick Google shows it to be a surprisingly common error on 5D3's and other Canon bodies.

It's amusing to read from the Google results the variety of suggested remedies people have about the problem (clean the contacts, change batteries, don't use 3rd party batteries, don't use Sigma lenses, it's a card error etc etc) even though the posters really have no clue about what is causing the error, since the error code is so cryptic.

Sounds familiar
I did read most of those before moving up the Canon food chain and avoiding all the "suggestions" but alas the "witch hunt" suggestions were just that and Canon isn't saying either...but what really hurts i just had my 1Dx in for the "service advisory"

All that said, i wonder how many are NOT affected...is it the "black tape" causing this? I should start that rumour *lol*
07-31-2013, 10:05 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
is it the "black tape" causing this? I should start that rumour *lol*
Nah, it's the silly putty they use to stick the lens mount on
08-01-2013, 06:59 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to hear about the broken camera, clicker. It does seem to happen a lot for such an expensive device. At least it is in warranty. Sigh.

Understand your desire for the look of medium and large format film. One suggestion is to check out the Sigma DPMerril series cameras. The sensor is by far the closest I have seen digital approach the look of mdium format film. My first files were jaw dropping. Totally out classing a borrowed 5DmkIi with L glass and K-01. The Sigma is so slow you will think you are shooting film.
thanks
barondla

08-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I would hope that Canon takes care of you fairly quickly. Do you have any EOS film bodies lying around to fall back on?
08-02-2013, 06:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
I would hope that Canon takes care of you fairly quickly. Do you have any EOS film bodies lying around to fall back on?
I have an EOS3 but a couple of fleabay Pentaxs which may end up in your hands
08-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes they took care of me quickly, they will charge me to repair a 5D II and send that to me instead. I suppose it's easy to blame the customer for a manufacturer's defect. This is "my word vs theirs".

I should do a camera burning in front of their HQ along with Media first so when i get a rrested people will know why...

I have no choice but to pay ...you notice they don't tell you what was wrong....and it's noted as "out of warranty"?!?

08-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Yes they took care of me quickly, they will charge me to repair a 5D II and send that to me instead. I suppose it's easy to blame the customer for a manufacturer's defect. This is "my word vs theirs".

I should do a camera burning in front of their HQ along with Media first so when i get a rrested people will know why...

I have no choice but to pay ...you notice they don't tell you what was wrong....and it's noted as "out of warranty"?!?
I don't quite follow. You sent them a 5D3, that was under warranty, and they told you you sent them a 5D2 that is out of warranty?
08-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
I don't quite follow. You sent them a 5D3, that was under warranty, and they told you you sent them a 5D2 that is out of warranty?
Pretty much but i handed in at the counter a 5D III i have the paperwork stating it too so the serial is right might be a typo but can it be "out of warranty after one month?

Did i buy a grey market product i ordered online from Vancouver but they're an authorized canon dealer?

i'm still going to have to pay but i want the camera i sent in, not a 5D II *sigh* I sent a reply email stating i handed in a 5D3!

but i'm really pissed they don't tell me what it is? it sure as heck wasn't any of the issues they named unless somehow there were major environment going on in my Crumpler, worst yet what ever happened to their 'weather seals", in my home there was a week of AC but at 25 C?

This was my last photo before the camera died as i was doing my routine precheck before going on a shoot.

I posted this on POTN also but i know all i'm going to get is "grief" from them *lol*
08-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would go back to the Canon repair center with the receipt they provided at the time you dropped it off. I would ask for my camera back, point out to them that it was a 5DIII not 5DII, check the serial number against the receipt, and then show them the purchase receipt indicating that the camera is 4 - 5 weeks old, and that it should be still under warranty, and that the retailer is an authorized Canon distributor. If it is indeed a grey market unit, then tell Canon that its their problem that their authorized retailer is selling Canon grey market product to customers paying and expecting authorized product - and they should make it right.

Either way it's a problem for Canon first and foremost along with the retailer. You should expect to come out whole in all of this.

08-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
yes, i plan on going in on Tuesday, we have a public holiday weekend right now.

But it seems they've already decided it was damage due to one of their noted issue most likely "water damage".
I will most likely end up paying as i really am not experienced in dealing with this sort of thing, i've never really had anything break down on me like this before and i really never expected nor was i prepared to deal with such a "new" breakdown.

I'm just disappointed in how they send you a really vague repair statement/estimate with a chance of charging you even more after first payment?

They pretty much left it open to charge more is how i read it.

This was even more surprising as i also had to have my also newly bought 1Dx taken in for a service advisory, the funny think was others who have did so had their cameras reset to factory when i had gotten mine back it still had all my personal settings, apparently as far as i know from online, they reset your camera to factory to test everything?

This has left a very bad feelings towards Canon as a whole and it's very unlikely i'm going to move forward with Canon, i'm already specking out Nikon's and a few lenses as i'm gearing up to shoot The Pan Am games coming here to Toronto in 2015 the reason why i upgraded to FF and "pro" quality gear and i "quote pro" rather loosely now when mentioning Canon gear.

Last edited by Clicker; 08-02-2013 at 05:24 PM.
08-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is just not good enough! As you rightly mentioned, they did not tell you exactly what is wrong.
You are entitled (under the Ontario consumer protection act to an estimate, prior to committing, and I would insist that they tell you exactly what the repair issue was. A reasonable assessment of whether warranty condition applies would then ensue.

If you haven't already read the Canon europe site, the error codes are described here. My 0.02c is that is some sort of contact issue in the SD or CF slot.

My brother has had no issues with his 1Dx though, good as he is using it commercially.