Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Panasonix GX7

Panasonic DMC-GX7KS - PANASONIC LUMIX DMC-GX7KS Silver Compact System Camera (DSLM) with 14-42 II Silver Kit Lens - Overview

Very nice set of features.

* IBIS (new for Panasonic)
* rangefinder bodystyle with corner-EVF. IMO much better location than the big hump Olympus viewfinders. Similar to a NEX-7.
* no AA filter.
* tilt screen
* 1/8000 shutter
* magnesium body, plus Panasonic makes solid cameras IMO

This camera seems to offer everything that should be offered by a rangefinder style body. There really isn't anything lacking here to justify waiting for the next model.

Panasonic is also known to dramatically cut prices after an introductory period, so keep an eye on this one for the long term.

08-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
Pentaxian

The technology packed into this camera, as well as the Sony NEX line, is just mind-boggling. Pentax really is lagging behind on technologically advanced camera features...
08-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Apparently this camera also has a silent mode (electronic shutter).

Much like a real rangefinder.

No mirror, no shutter noise, actual silent operation (not merely "quiet" as some other cameras provide).
08-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I never really put much thought into Panasonic when it comes to cameras, but this looks interesting. I just wish someone would build a FF version of it.

08-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It is missing audio inputs which kill it for video. They are the video guys for m4/3. This is a huge omission to an otherwise excellent offering.
08-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I think with the RF styling they are going after the still image photographer. That would not be my go-to body for video.
08-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I know they don't want to kill their gh3 sales, but IS with manual glass would have been great for video. Two things the gh3 is lacking are IBS and focus peaking. All they had to do was add a mic input.

08-02-2013, 04:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh-oh.......tilting screen and tilting viewfinder on top of all the other specs......this may just be a game changer for me........
08-02-2013, 04:47 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's a nice concept. Before I'd part with over a thousand dollars for a MFT camera (even with a kit zoom) I'd like to be convinced that the EVF is as good as the specification implies.

I don't think it's a game-changer for me, even if it's that good, but it might be a good lightweight travel camera, with the right lenses.
08-02-2013, 06:13 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
I know they don't want to kill their gh3 sales, but IS with manual glass would have been great for video. Two things the gh3 is lacking are IBS and focus peaking. All they had to do was add a mic input.
I read that the IBIS will be disabled when in video mode on the GX7, anyway.
08-02-2013, 06:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I looked at this then remembered, i have an NEX 6, pretty much the same/similar features but APS-C sensor.
I think it's about the same size and volume too or pretty close?

That said, this paired with the 12-35 + 35-100 would be pretty much anyone looking for M43 would need.
08-02-2013, 06:38 AM   #12
Banned

Unless they came up with a new sensor, no games changed. The Nex6 is great and coming generations will have Olympus' IBIS. or a variant of it.

There's the gamechanger.
08-02-2013, 07:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
It is missing audio inputs which kill it for video. They are the video guys for m4/3. This is a huge omission to an otherwise excellent offering.
Seemed like a weird omission too, though they probably ran out of space on that small body

I was all excited about the silent shutter until I found out they disabled the flash in that mode. I was hoping you could use it to control ambient w/ high shutter speeds and external flash which would have been a first w/ any m4/3's body (you can do this w/ the X100s and the Panny LX5/LX7 which all have leaf shutters as well as 3 stop ND filters)-:
08-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Looks like an amazing camera, almost perfect.

The only knock against it for me would be the lack of TAv mode or auto-ISO in manual. I don't know why Panasonic (or Sony) wont include this in their firmware.
08-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by apisto Quote
I read that the IBIS will be disabled when in video mode on the GX7, anyway.
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Seemed like a weird omission too, though they probably ran out of space on that small body

I was all excited about the silent shutter until I found out they disabled the flash in that mode. I was hoping you could use it to control ambient w/ high shutter speeds and external flash which would have been a first w/ any m4/3's body (you can do this w/ the X100s and the Panny LX5/LX7 which all have leaf shutters as well as 3 stop ND filters)-:
Missed opportunities with simple fixes. I suppose they could all be done in firmware updates. Oly added their 5-Axis stabilization to video mode and it's so good that people are using it, even with their lousy codecs. Both m4/3 companies have missed the opportunity to be the best video camera under 1k.