Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nikon's photo contest winner

Nikon photo contest 2013 winner

I don't like this shot at all. Nearly 100,000 shots entered and an elderly couple in space helmets wins?

08-08-2013, 08:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

2deep4me
08-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I like it.
08-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It feels like there's quite a bit of processing in the background. Anyone else get that feeling?

Reading the winner's description and the judge's comment, they don't quite match up lol..

08-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #5
K-9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
It feels like there's quite a bit of processing in the background. Anyone else get that feeling?

Reading the winner's description and the judge's comment, they don't quite match up lol..
It looks very manipulated. I don't see it as telling as many stories as the viewer and judge do. It's an elderly couple sitting in their old fashioned style room, with helmets on that tells me nothing, and out of place expressions on their facees. It's one of those personal projects to the photographer that doesn't translate well to others (except that Nikon judge). I'm more realstic than "combining past with future" in that for that shot to work, I'd want to see how the elderly couple truly looks. I mean their real postures and expressions at that moment. Not posed. How do they really look sitting in their home. And how do the walls of their home really look, as opposed to the airbrushed look.

The burning in of the wall color behind their heads is just too much tinkering for me.
08-09-2013, 08:48 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks a lot like what was coming out of the professional and illustrative photography programs while i was studying image science at Rochester Institute of Technology in the late 60's early 70's.
08-09-2013, 08:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Well the helmets (or bubbles rather) are supposed to represent how they are closed off from the world and each other (according to the photographer).

To me, it's more a painting. Like a modern take of:

Alternatively - the colour style and composition makes me think of another painting I've seen, but I do not remember the name to be able to find online.

08-09-2013, 08:57 AM   #8
K-9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, anything that manipulated and unrealistic is artwork to me, not a photograph taken with a camera.