Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2013, 09:45 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just got a Canon Rebel 5Ti for my daughter in law

I happen to be blessed with the two cutest grandkids in the world. Other grandpas my disagree, but mine really are. Over the past three years my daughter in law has sent us some really amazing photographs of the kids. She has been taking these with her cell phone and tablet. She seems to be able to capture what Henri Cartier-Bresson called "the decisive moment" really well.

They are in town for a 10 day visit. Before they came, I talked to my son and asked if his wife wanted a better camera. He said she really did but they didn't have the money for one at the moment. So I told him that I planned on changing the situation when they arrived. I also told him to keep it a surprise.

I am a big Pentax fan and have lenses going back over 40 years that are still working good on my K5 and K5-IIs. The problem being that they are all manual focus and not really indicative of the newer systems out there at all. I visited a local photo store and looked over what they had. The Canon SL1 looked pretty good, but the Rebel impressed me more.

So the morning after she arrived I told her that we were going out on a date. Took her to the store and had her handle both cameras. She liked the Rebel better because of the rear screen operation and the size fit her hands a little better. I also got her the Rebel and a Canon 18 - 135mm lens to go along with it. She was practically jumping up and down she was so happy. Got her home showed her a few of he basics and turned her loose. She has been going nuts with the camera. Really pleased. Every once in awhile I guess the old timer can still hit one out of the park.

08-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

She's lucky to have you in her life. Nice story.
08-08-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you take me out too?

She is lucky! you are a good father-in-law.
08-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #4

Very nice...good that you gave the gift of photography on to someone. And it feels great to get a gift for someone that really appreciates the gift, doesn't it?

08-08-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I'll be your daughter in law for a day too! Except I'm a middle aged man. And I have a Pentax. So never mind.
08-12-2013, 12:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

That's a very nice story.