Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
08-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote
Wait. I didnt realize this exist. Is there one from Pentax to Pentax? I just dont seem to find much use of this 125 prime I have..I want to be able to stand closer.
The focal reducer need a camera with shorter register distance than the lens, so it's made it possible to use SLR lenses on mirrorless cameras.

08-09-2013, 04:39 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote
Is there one from Pentax to Pentax?
It's only a NEX thing at the moment. NEX to Pentax, NEX to Canon FD, NEX to Nikon F etc.
08-09-2013, 11:32 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow, that's incredibly great news! 100% backward and forward compatibility, even cross-brand. Pentax is left behind again with their ONLY remaining niche: colourful cameras.
08-09-2013, 11:47 PM   #19
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
How is SONY's Electronic View finder?
I always think the NEX body is too small and the lenses are too big....

I hope the FF is fill by a FF K-mount module GXR. :-(
Superb.

I really played around a lot with the NEX6 and looked for lag and tried to induce it under various conditions, trying to hit processing walls, for instance. It was beyond superb. I'd completely not bother with OVFs if EVFs are this good or better (and that seems to be the case).

On the other hand, I checked out that Panasonic compact with the EVF. Absolute, useless junk. Lag is significant, quality is garbage. So that was the comparison.

I'm a believer in EVFs now and if the dSLR goes the way of removing the prism, mirror, and related components, I'll not miss them one bit, so long as functionality is enhanced (which is to be the point now with the new focusing technologies for stills and video). I have no doubt that the on-sensor PD will work out in coming years, as we already have, finally, workable examples out there and they are rapidly being improved.

08-10-2013, 01:31 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's fantastic. No lag, super bright compared to OVF, enormous size, compared to OVF, and all the obvious advantages as peaking, histograms, zoomed focussing, etc..

Yes, it's silly. An SLR shaped mirrorless would be much more convenient, imho. Just use the extra space to house extra features.

Then the Sony FF NEX would probably still be a cheaper option, and an option with more future.
08-10-2013, 01:57 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

You are entitled to your opinions, of course (and should be happy when the rumored FF NEX appears - I can't see it having a lesser viewfinder than that on the NEX-6).
However, keep in mind not everyone thinks the same. You can't find lag even when searching, I easily can see it without trying. You like the bright image it shows you, I dislike the miniature TV look. You think it's enormous, I say it's bigger than the APS-C one - but we're on the FF area here, and unlike EVFs, OVFs scale up with the format. You would not bother with OVFs, I would not buy an EVF camera (except as a "toy").
Different preferences, different brands to serve them.
08-10-2013, 02:05 AM   #22
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
You are entitled to your opinions, of course (and should be happy when the rumored FF NEX appears - I can't see it having a lesser viewfinder than that on the NEX-6).
However, keep in mind not everyone thinks the same. You can't find lag even when searching, I easily can see it without trying. You like the bright image it shows you, I dislike the miniature TV look. You think it's enormous, I say it's bigger than the APS-C one - but we're on the FF area here, and unlike EVFs, OVFs scale up with the format. You would not bother with OVFs, I would not buy an EVF camera (except as a "toy").
Different preferences, different brands to serve them.
Alex,

Not sure if I understand what you're arguing for or against.

08-10-2013, 02:13 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I'm not exactly arguing - just offering a different opinion, without trying to invalidate yours.
After all, LFLee asked about (Sony's) EVFs; though I'd say he should try them himself, as the opinions varies from one extreme to the other.

If anything, I would argue against the presence of this thread on this section; we have a "Non-Pentax Cameras" section, and that's where this FF NEX would fit.
08-10-2013, 02:56 AM   #24
Banned

I'm not exactly arguing - just offering a different opinion, without trying to invalidate yours.
After all, LFLee asked about (Sony's) EVFs; though I'd say he should try them himself, as the opinions varies from one extreme to the other.

If anything, I would argue against the presence of this thread on this section; we have a "Non-Pentax Cameras" section, and that's where this FF NEX would fit.
Alex,

The question is: What is your opinion?

It's not clear in that post, in the least. Unless it's simply a Devil's Advocate post.

There are people that have tried particular EVFs and offered their opinions (including myself). Do you have any exact, contrary experience with the EVF in the NEX6, for example?
08-10-2013, 03:32 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Here it is:
[...]I easily can see it (lag) without trying. [...]I dislike the miniature TV look. [...] it's bigger than the APS-C one - but [...] unlike EVFs, OVFs scale up with the format. [...]
For every EVF I tried, including the high resolution Sony ones.
08-10-2013, 03:41 AM   #26
Banned

Here it is:

For every EVF I tried, including the high resolution Sony ones.
Which EVF?

You've not indicated which one, like most others have.

This is also the first I've heard of the "small TV" argument, Alex. It's likely better suited to DPR, maybe a mobile phone forum, since those look like little TVs, too.
08-10-2013, 03:54 AM   #27
Pentaxian

To give some examples, the Olympus OM-D's, Nikon V1's, some Panasonics, Sony's versions including the 1.4 and 2.4MP ones... none of them made me want to switch even from the K-5's APS-C viewfinder.
IIRC I saw this specific viewfinder, the Sony 2.4MP one, in an A65.

The EVF is a miniature TV; that's a fact and not an argument (it uses either a LCD or an OLED panel and it shows a video stream). I'm not saying there's something inherently bad about TVs; it just happens that I like better a natural image. I'm one of the those who wasn't impressed with the OLED oversaturated look, by the way.

So, I'm happy to have sticked with a traditional SLR brand
08-10-2013, 04:03 AM   #28
Banned

To give some examples, the Olympus OM-D's, Nikon V1's, some Panasonics, Sony's versions including the 1.4 and 2.4MP ones... none of them made me want to switch even from the K-5's APS-C viewfinder.
IIRC I saw this specific viewfinder, the Sony 2.4MP one, in an A65.

The EVF is a miniature TV; that's a fact and not an argument (it uses either a LCD or an OLED panel and it shows a video stream). I'm not saying there's something inherently bad about TVs; it just happens that I like better a natural image. I'm one of the those who wasn't impressed with the OLED oversaturated look, by the way.

So, I'm happy to have sticked with a traditional SLR brand
That's all you needed to say to begin with instead of starting a DPR-esque convoluted argument. That's fine, if that's your opinion, Alex. I think you would get more of the intended traction on DPR, however.

Eventually, you will be limited in your choices, should you ever shop again, as this is the way the technology is going and frankly, I'm incredibly happy with how good these EVFs have become in such a short time, as well as the designers taking advantage and tacking on technology dependent on removing the mirrorbox, such as the on-sensor PDAF. This year is the first one where it's truly viable for more advanced use. Not 100% for extreme conditions or pro use, but likely in the next 2-3 cycles, we'll be there. By that time, faster processors, better EVFs, and so on will be available.
08-10-2013, 04:44 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to imply for a while, but I don't like it. Stop that, please. By the way, it's perfectly normal for the users of a traditional SLR brand to like traditional SLR viewfinders, so I'm not out of the place here, in Pentax Forums.

With the DSLR market being much larger than the EVF MILC one, I'm not concerned at all about lack of choice. I don't care about stuff that "eventually" would happen, with this "eventually" being so far away. Who knows what kinds of viewfinders we'll have then?
08-12-2013, 01:32 PM   #30

I haven't used it, but the people who have seem to think extremely highly of it. Phrases like "one of the best EVFs on the market" tend to get thrown around.