Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
08-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

FF camera for Pentax (lenses) to be announced next month

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Ffgvkyubgdkhjryufrjuvgfrdjuvjdhfvfmjgfbbvhffrfvfbvrfbuvbhfvurfrfrfgrfbrfurfhdjdbjdbehfbrhfbrfvrhfbnbdhcvyefbeefbhevedrmbrukegsg

Last edited by twitch; 10-02-2014 at 03:27 AM.
08-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How is SONY's Electronic View finder?
I always think the NEX body is too small and the lenses are too big....

I hope the FF is fill by a FF K-mount module GXR. :-(
08-09-2013, 01:00 AM   #3
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well it is priced the same as the RX1, just with no lens. For $ 3000 you can get a lot of different things in photographygear, so I don't see a big seller.
08-09-2013, 01:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a friend with a NEX 7, and I was impressed, very nice bit of kit. A new full frame version with a FA 20/43/77 would make a nice carry around

08-09-2013, 01:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Ohhhh
08-09-2013, 02:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I found these things notable from the SAR article:

QuoteQuote:
"... three different new FF sensors have been tested by Sony, 24, 32 and 36 Megapixel. I am yet not 100% sure but Sony may picked up the 32MP sensor. What I am sure about is that it will be announced along two Zeiss FF lenses. A zoom and a prime. "
Perhaps Pentax has been evaluating the same sensor options for it's native FF.

Rolling out the new FF camera with new lenses is also no doubt what Pentax is probably doing. Sony has the advantage of closely partnering with a 3rd party lens developer, however.

I'm still a bit confused though about the idea of a FF NEX. Does that mean my current NEX lenses will still work on the FF NEX, but with lots of vignetting, or would the FF NEX be an entirely new mount?
08-09-2013, 04:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Does that mean my current NEX lenses will still work on the FF NEX, but with lots of vignetting, or would the FF NEX be an entirely new mount?
Answering my own question, yes the current NEX E-mount does support FF. And the FF NEX will probably behave with current NEX lenses just like the FF NEX-VG900 video cam does. The VG900 switches automatically from full-frame operation to APS-C mode when an E-mount or A-mount DT lens is attached.

I guess a Pentax FF might do the same. Mount a DA lens and the camera would read the Lens ID and optionally switch automatically to crop mode.

08-09-2013, 05:34 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I read the article over and over again, but I keep missing the part in which they say how this NEX fully supports the K-mount, with AF and stabilization. It still appears to be just a regular NEX camera, with a larger sensor, and same level of compatibility. Useless for me.
08-09-2013, 05:48 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well it is priced the same as the RX1, just with no lens. For $ 3000 you can get a lot of different things in photographygear, so I don't see a big seller.
A FF camera that can use virtually any legacy lens (via adaptor, of course) to give their originally-intended field of view? Sounds wonderful to me...

For anyone who want s a FF camera but enjoys using old lenses it would be ideal, the closest item available to a digital version of a traditional 35mm SLR.
08-09-2013, 06:26 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It still appears to be just a regular NEX camera,
That is indeed all it is, just with a FF sensor. There will be no special K-mount features. Like with any NEX, third party adapters will be required to use K-mount (or any other non-NEX lens mount) on the camera.
08-09-2013, 07:46 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Holy cow...I didnt know we can use an adapter to mount pentax lenses to sony. do they work well? I have this manual lens I really want to be able to use on a full frame
08-09-2013, 07:54 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote
mount pentax lenses to sony. do they work well? I have this manual lens I really want to be able to use on a full frame
Adapters work OK on current NEX's (construction quality varies a bit), and should also work OK on any FF NEX. eBay has a nice selection of K to NEX adapters if you want to have a look at what's currently available.
08-09-2013, 08:25 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I wonder how big a splash a full frame NEX will really make. Feels like most of those interested in full frame are interested in full frame performance (fast auto focus, fast lenses-- which are by definition pretty big). Trading a full frame optical viewfinder for an EVF and taking a least a little hit in performance just to get a slightly smaller camera body, doesn't feel particularly revolutionary.
08-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote
Holy cow...I didnt know we can use an adapter to mount pentax lenses to sony. do they work well? I have this manual lens I really want to be able to use on a full frame
You don't even need FF for this, as you also can use focal reducer adapter to cover the whole FF image circle on mirrorless APS-C cameras.
NEX “Lens Turbo” Speed Booster Clone Initial Impressions & Samples | Gary Barnes

You will loose a bit of IQ compared to FF cameras, but IMO IQ is good enough for vintage manual focus lenses. And as FF NEX probably cost 3+ times of APS-C NEX with focal reducer, the FF camera might not have enough advantage for this type of use.
08-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
You don't even need FF for this, as you also can use focal reducer adapter to cover the whole FF image circle on mirrorless APS-C cameras.
NEX “Lens Turbo” Speed Booster Clone Initial Impressions & Samples | Gary Barnes

You will loose a bit of IQ compared to FF cameras, but IMO IQ is good enough for vintage manual focus lenses. And as FF NEX probably cost 3+ times of APS-C NEX with focal reducer, the FF camera might not have enough advantage for this type of use.
Wait. I didnt realize this exist. Is there one from Pentax to Pentax? I just dont seem to find much use of this 125 prime I have..I want to be able to stand closer.