Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2013, 05:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nikon fault ?

Hi all,
I picked up a Nikon F55 real cheap with the intention of making a small profit on ebay.
The F55 is a plastic entry model SLR and this one is in exceptional condition.

I always keep an old exposed film cartridge to test cameras with. When I tested the F55 by inserting my test film, it winds but does not stop at the first frame. In fact it advances the film continuously and would go right to the end if I didn't open the door to stop it.

Is there something I should know about how exposed or unexposed film affects the advance mech in these cameras ?
Do they have a light sensor somewhere in the film advance mechanism that checks for a frame marker on the film ?
Is it a known Nikon fault maybe ?

Any thoughts ?

Chromo

Last edited by chromo; 08-10-2013 at 07:48 AM.
08-10-2013, 08:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So ok. Just answered my own questions when I found out that Nikon just has to be different.
When the film is first loaded, it pulls all of the film out, then winds it back into the cartridge one frame at a time.

Well that's good. At least I now know the camera is not faulty.

Chromo.
08-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The advantage it has is that if some idiot opens the camera before the film is finished, all the exposed images are safe back inside the film box. I think that is the reason behind this design.
08-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
The advantage it has is that if some idiot opens the camera before the film is finished, all the exposed images are safe back inside the film box. I think that is the reason behind this design.
Yeah it's a wonder why every other camera maker didn't adopt the same principal with that reasoning in mind.
I guess there would be some with manual winders that do the same.