Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2016, 08:02 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Serengeti Lions--Photo Gallery

All images captured with a drone and Canon equipment. A flying drone can cover more territory, get closer, be safer, and is often ignored by wildlife.

Instead of sitting in a blind for hours waiting, you could sit in the comfort and protection of a house or mobile station.
yep you sure could. but then that's barely living isn't it

01-23-2016, 10:33 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Now all we need is robots to sit on the couch and watch the documentaries on TV for us.

Chris
I'm sorry...well, not really...but 99% of my shooting is from my office windows where it is cool in the winter and warm in the summer. I can hold a cup of hot coffee in one hand...or a glass of iced tea..and myK5IIs and Bigma in the other and snap away in total comfort. Shooting for comfort...it's wonderful!

I could tell you I spent hours in the treacherous bug and snake infested Woods of Otis and you would never know I was lying.....I don't care where or how the shot was taken, I just want to see it!

Granted, I have limited subject matter, but no two shots are identical......

I went through briers, faced deadly snakes, angry squirrels and rabid raccoons to get this shot...or maybe not?

Here I risked my life to get a shot at the legendary Peanut Tree....or then again...maybe not?

Anyhow, those lion shots are magnificent, regardless of the camera, the shooter, or anything else.

Regards!
01-23-2016, 11:34 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
I worry about the future of wildlife not the damn gear.
good point!

Last edited by Digitalis; 01-24-2016 at 10:03 AM.
01-24-2016, 09:15 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
I worry about the future of wildlife not the damn gear.
The same came to my mind. The images are stunning but what price to pay?!

How many people join a foto safari? Let's think about what's happening when not only one drone is flying but a lot more at the same place ...

01-24-2016, 05:39 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I go out into the woods with my camera to enjoy the experience of being there. Getting a good shot of some wildlife is the icing on the cake and I often come home without seeing anything. Using a drone would most likely mean sitting in front of a monitor for hours and not seeing anything. A drone can be a good tool to get a shot that's just impossible to get otherwise, such as along cliffs or in swamps but you have to find the critters to begin with and drone batteries don't last very long. This guy couldn't have got in very close because this was open country and would have spooked and he probably was within binocular range of the lions, not sitting in a lounge chair.
02-18-2016, 01:37 PM   #21

Drone technology is amazing and one can truly capture stunning footage nowadays with highly manoeuvrable stable platforms. But all you basically need to achieve this is MasterCard!

On the other end, to stake out your subject for weeks to study its behaviour and environment, assess the lighting conditions, vantage points, environmental conditions in order to plan the shot. And then patiently crouching in a makeshift hide for days at end, enduring all that nature has in stock for you, shooting countless shots until you get THE one that is right in all aspects . . . timing, subject composure/activity, lighting, background, camera settings, composition, focus, etc., etc,. etc. This is real wildlife photography, but above all......its priceless!