Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
08-13-2013, 08:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Future of Wildlife Photography?

Serengeti Lions--Photo Gallery

All images captured with a drone and Canon equipment. A flying drone can cover more territory, get closer, be safer, and is often ignored by wildlife.

Instead of sitting in a blind for hours waiting, you could sit in the comfort and protection of a house or mobile station.

08-13-2013, 08:07 AM   #2
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe, if all you care about is the pictures. For me the main point is to get out into the bush. The photographing is secondary, far less important than the experience of being there.

But then, I don't sell pictures
08-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Having watched tons of BBC documentaries where they go deep into the jungles and forests to set up amazing and robust systems to capture footages of animals from high to low, morning to night, and near to far - I think drones are only a solution to some locations. The BBC crews used some seriously big equipment for the zoom that they require.
08-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I donīt think itīs a replacement for anything but it is amazing!!!

08-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Seems like it would be more expensive than the old fashioned way for a lot of animals. Obviously for some scenes/timid animals, this may be the only way to bring back photos of them.
08-13-2013, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Magnificent shots, simply stunning!

As for drones, I plan on getting a drone to shoot my squirrels, it is much safer and could possibly save my life. Few realize how dangerous it is out in those "Woods of Otis'" ....a damn scary place. When out there all alone, with hundreds of little beady on you and dead silence, you know any second could be your last.

Regards!
08-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Seems like it would be more expensive than the old fashioned way for a lot of animals. Obviously for some scenes/timid animals, this may be the only way to bring back photos of them.
The images that actually pay bills though are those types of images. The old fashioned way is fine form hummingbirds and squirrels, but what's the going rate for those pictures these days?

Ocean going drones can go places people can't and can capture the images that can pay the bills.

08-13-2013, 03:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
I donīt think itīs a replacement for anything but it is amazing!!!
+1...
08-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

booo canon
08-19-2013, 03:14 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now all we need is robots to sit on the couch and watch the documentaries on TV for us.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 08-22-2013 at 03:42 PM.
08-19-2013, 04:06 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

Wildlife photography to me is like going fishing.

I could go to a pond where fish are raised commercially and easily catch a farm raised Rainbow Trout.

Or I could go to a Canadian Shield lake (90 miles away) with my fly rod and using my personally hand tied flies and perhaps catch a nice wild and wily pike....or maybe not get a thing.

When I go and do winter wildlife photography I would much rather go to local Canadian forests with my K-5 and Sigma 150-500 and K10D and 55-300. I may get a great photo...or not so great photo....or nothing at all.... of a Great Grey Owl or a Snowy Owl.

I'd much rather get my own photo rather than rely on a drone to do it.

Part of fishing and wild life photography is the adventure...or at least it is for me.

But I'm an amateur. I'm sure it's different if you're a professional.

Eventually it will be why bother with drones...just use a top of the line computer generated graphic....who will know.
08-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some time ago I subscribed to Outdoor Photographer. One of the staff there was a well known nature photographer. One of his biggest money earners was a photograph of a squirrel he took in his backyard.
09-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't see how a flying drone can effectively replace a wildlife photographer. A camera in flight would have a tougher time in lower ambient light. There would be much less time for composition. It might be more effective to use a robot. It is still amazing that someone did that with what they had.

Where do you see he photographed those animals with a drone?
09-09-2013, 03:50 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Future of Wildlife Photography?
I worry about the future of wildlife not the damn gear.

Last edited by wildman; 09-15-2013 at 03:15 AM.
01-23-2016, 09:01 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Forgive me for bumping this topic back into the present. Drones are N O I S Y ! Is that really what someone who appreciates natural environments and their inhabitants wants to introduce? Besides, if the drones' motor and prop racket is drowning out the wildlife's audible communication, how will one know where to point the drone's camera? I guess they could be good at getting pictures of the hind ends of wildlife fleeing for their lives.