Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-13-2013, 10:50 PM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery
Sony RX1 - Finally Did It!

I found an amazing deal on Amazon Warehouse deals for $1658 and pulled the trigger! That's a savings of 41% off the regular price. There were 5 available when I was looking at it, then within 30 mins 2 were gone. Then this morning all were spoken for, so you have to be fast when you see a great deal!

I'm picking it up on the weekend and heading to Seattle to test it out. Can wait to try out this mirrorless FF!

08-14-2013, 02:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

That is an amazing deal, congratulations and enjoy shooting that wonderful camera!
08-14-2013, 02:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great price.
I got my RX1 last week and fall in love with it.
08-14-2013, 02:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If I can pick only one camera, this will be my answer.

It's not a DSLR, it's not medium format, it's not a film camera, it's the Sony RX1.

08-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by nah Quote
I found an amazing deal on Amazon Warehouse deals for $1658 and pulled the trigger! That's a savings of 41% off the regular price. There were 5 available when I was looking at it, then within 30 mins 2 were gone. Then this morning all were spoken for, so you have to be fast when you see a great deal!

I'm picking it up on the weekend and heading to Seattle to test it out. Can wait to try out this mirrorless FF!
Wow. Why are they that cheap? Are they used?
08-14-2013, 10:19 PM   #6
nah

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by richmondthefish Quote
Wow. Why are they that cheap? Are they used?
Yeah, they must be returns from people that purchased from Amazon and they can't sell as brand new. They must have released a batch as there were 5, 1 in like new condition for $1693 (which I wanted but waited too long) and 4 in very good condition for $1658.

I'm not even sure how I saw the deal, it might have been an ad from another forum that detailed that price.

I already have the RX100 and think that's it's an amazing camera, can't wait to see what this FF can do.
08-15-2013, 06:44 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by nah Quote
Yeah, they must be returns from people that purchased from Amazon and they can't sell as brand new. They must have released a batch as there were 5, 1 in like new condition for $1693 (which I wanted but waited too long) and 4 in very good condition for $1658.

I'm not even sure how I saw the deal, it might have been an ad from another forum that detailed that price.

I already have the RX100 and think that's it's an amazing camera, can't wait to see what this FF can do.
Thats a great deal. Im curious to see how everything plays out this fall. There's a good chance of a full frame NEX which is going to really make things interesting.

08-18-2013, 10:38 PM   #8
nah

Original Poster
Sigh...turns out my luck is pretty crappy. I got a DOA unit, with a E61 code (non focus lens) which seems to be prevalent. The lens wouldn't even focus manually. I even tried as some had tried online that dropping it from a few inches would loosen the mechanism, thus no luck. whoever tested the camera at Amazon, didn't know what they were doing. The camera would turn on and you could see an image and release the shutter, but the lens would not auto focus and the error code flashes.

What was worst, was trying to return the unit to Amazon. Generally, they're pretty good at returns, but time it took 3 long phone calls. At one point, they wanted me to send it back on my dime because it was over $1500. I was incredulous, but in the end I managed to get them to send me a prepaid label and it went back the same day I got it. Needless to say, I only had the Sony RX100 with me the whole time in Seattle.

Now I'm wary of getting an RX1 without warranty. At least when Pentax lenses fail, you could still manual focus, not with Sony. :P

BTW, anyone from Seattle or BC want a good deal, head to the Seattle Premium Outlets. There's an RX1 with 2 years accidental warranty for $2300. I was tempted, but need to make sure my Amazon refund went through before purchasing another camera.
08-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #9

Thanks for the update
08-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon and generally trust them. But that price, at least for me, was in the too good to be true category. Full frame digital doesn't ship for half price until years after the camera is new generally and the RX 1 certainly isn't a failure, so expect it to be pricey for a long time.
08-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #11
nah

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon and generally trust them. But that price, at least for me, was in the too good to be true category. Full frame digital doesn't ship for half price until years after the camera is new generally and the RX 1 certainly isn't a failure, so expect it to be pricey for a long time.
I don't think it was malicious on their end. It was from Amazon themselves, not a reseller. It's just someone at the warehouse didn't go through the proper checks before releasing it back in the wild. I'm sure the other 4 people that bought cameras that night had functioning units.

Back luck I ended up with one of the duds. I've purchased a Sigma 30 1.4 K mount from Warehouse deals before and it was in great condition.
08-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member

With that money I'll buy an E-P5 with 17/1.8 and viewfinder combo.
07-06-2014, 06:36 AM   #13
Pentaxian

It's a great camera it will be my next acquisition
07-11-2014, 10:00 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Hippone Quote
It's a great camera it will be my next acquisition
Well it's done..... here is My Sony RX1.

Awesome lens The Carl Zeiss Sonnar 35mm f2

---------- Post added 07-11-14 at 07:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dtmateojr Quote
With that money I'll buy an E-P5 with 17/1.8 and viewfinder combo.
But it's not a FF camera ..... Sony RX1 with the Carl Zeiss 35mm F2 is the best ..
07-15-2014, 06:10 AM   #15
Veteran Member

It is nice. I shot one head to head with the Sony A99 and Sony 28-75. The RX lens was far superior to the kit zoom at 35mm which is expected, but the RX1 sucked at 50mm

It needs a viewfinder though. I kept bringing it to my eye only to realize there was no viewfinder. Were I to own it, I'd need to pony up for the view finder.