Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2013, 10:50 PM - 1 Like   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2008
Location: New Westminster, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 282
Sony RX1 - Finally Did It!

I found an amazing deal on Amazon Warehouse deals for $1658 and pulled the trigger! That's a savings of 41% off the regular price. There were 5 available when I was looking at it, then within 30 mins 2 were gone. Then this morning all were spoken for, so you have to be fast when you see a great deal!

I'm picking it up on the weekend and heading to Seattle to test it out. Can wait to try out this mirrorless FF!

08-14-2013, 02:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member
twitch's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,571
That is an amazing deal, congratulations and enjoy shooting that wonderful camera!
08-14-2013, 02:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member
MegaPower's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hong Kong / Irvine, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 631
Great price.
I got my RX1 last week and fall in love with it.
08-14-2013, 02:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member
MegaPower's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hong Kong / Irvine, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 631
If I can pick only one camera, this will be my answer.

It's not a DSLR, it's not medium format, it's not a film camera, it's the Sony RX1.



08-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
Senior Member
richmondthefish's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 218
QuoteOriginally posted by nah Quote
I found an amazing deal on Amazon Warehouse deals for $1658 and pulled the trigger! That's a savings of 41% off the regular price. There were 5 available when I was looking at it, then within 30 mins 2 were gone. Then this morning all were spoken for, so you have to be fast when you see a great deal!

I'm picking it up on the weekend and heading to Seattle to test it out. Can wait to try out this mirrorless FF!
Wow. Why are they that cheap? Are they used?
08-14-2013, 10:19 PM   #6
nah
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2008
Location: New Westminster, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 282
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by richmondthefish Quote
Wow. Why are they that cheap? Are they used?
Yeah, they must be returns from people that purchased from Amazon and they can't sell as brand new. They must have released a batch as there were 5, 1 in like new condition for $1693 (which I wanted but waited too long) and 4 in very good condition for $1658.

I'm not even sure how I saw the deal, it might have been an ad from another forum that detailed that price.

I already have the RX100 and think that's it's an amazing camera, can't wait to see what this FF can do.
08-15-2013, 06:44 AM   #7
Senior Member
richmondthefish's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 218
QuoteOriginally posted by nah Quote
Yeah, they must be returns from people that purchased from Amazon and they can't sell as brand new. They must have released a batch as there were 5, 1 in like new condition for $1693 (which I wanted but waited too long) and 4 in very good condition for $1658.

I'm not even sure how I saw the deal, it might have been an ad from another forum that detailed that price.

I already have the RX100 and think that's it's an amazing camera, can't wait to see what this FF can do.
Thats a great deal. Im curious to see how everything plays out this fall. There's a good chance of a full frame NEX which is going to really make things interesting.

08-18-2013, 10:38 PM   #8
nah
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2008
Location: New Westminster, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 282
Original Poster
Sigh...turns out my luck is pretty crappy. I got a DOA unit, with a E61 code (non focus lens) which seems to be prevalent. The lens wouldn't even focus manually. I even tried as some had tried online that dropping it from a few inches would loosen the mechanism, thus no luck. whoever tested the camera at Amazon, didn't know what they were doing. The camera would turn on and you could see an image and release the shutter, but the lens would not auto focus and the error code flashes.

What was worst, was trying to return the unit to Amazon. Generally, they're pretty good at returns, but time it took 3 long phone calls. At one point, they wanted me to send it back on my dime because it was over $1500. I was incredulous, but in the end I managed to get them to send me a prepaid label and it went back the same day I got it. Needless to say, I only had the Sony RX100 with me the whole time in Seattle.

Now I'm wary of getting an RX1 without warranty. At least when Pentax lenses fail, you could still manual focus, not with Sony. :P

BTW, anyone from Seattle or BC want a good deal, head to the Seattle Premium Outlets. There's an RX1 with 2 years accidental warranty for $2300. I was tempted, but need to make sure my Amazon refund went through before purchasing another camera.
08-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #9
Senior Member
richmondthefish's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 218
Thanks for the update
08-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 574
I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon and generally trust them. But that price, at least for me, was in the too good to be true category. Full frame digital doesn't ship for half price until years after the camera is new generally and the RX 1 certainly isn't a failure, so expect it to be pricey for a long time.
08-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #11
nah
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2008
Location: New Westminster, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 282
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon and generally trust them. But that price, at least for me, was in the too good to be true category. Full frame digital doesn't ship for half price until years after the camera is new generally and the RX 1 certainly isn't a failure, so expect it to be pricey for a long time.
I don't think it was malicious on their end. It was from Amazon themselves, not a reseller. It's just someone at the warehouse didn't go through the proper checks before releasing it back in the wild. I'm sure the other 4 people that bought cameras that night had functioning units.

Back luck I ended up with one of the duds. I've purchased a Sigma 30 1.4 K mount from Warehouse deals before and it was in great condition.
08-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 604
With that money I'll buy an E-P5 with 17/1.8 and viewfinder combo.
07-06-2014, 06:36 AM   #13
Pentaxian
Hippone's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Some where in time !!
Posts: 484
It's a great camera it will be my next acquisition
07-11-2014, 10:00 AM   #14
Pentaxian
Hippone's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Some where in time !!
Posts: 484
QuoteOriginally posted by Hippone Quote
It's a great camera it will be my next acquisition
Well it's done..... here is My Sony RX1.




Awesome lens The Carl Zeiss Sonnar 35mm f2



---------- Post added 07-11-14 at 07:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dtmateojr Quote
With that money I'll buy an E-P5 with 17/1.8 and viewfinder combo.
But it's not a FF camera ..... Sony RX1 with the Carl Zeiss 35mm F2 is the best ..
07-15-2014, 06:10 AM   #15
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 574
It is nice. I shot one head to head with the Sony A99 and Sony 28-75. The RX lens was far superior to the kit zoom at 35mm which is expected, but the RX1 sucked at 50mm

It needs a viewfinder though. I kept bringing it to my eye only to realize there was no viewfinder. Were I to own it, I'd need to pony up for the view finder.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
35mm, camera, carl, f2, rx1, sony, zeiss
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sony RX1 - post your photos here Jasvox Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 46 05-26-2021 02:14 AM
Sony RX1 Hello Kitty Edition Christine Tham Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 6 09-18-2012 04:35 AM
Macro I finally did it! Jumping spider eating focus stacked :D yeatzee Post Your Photos! 15 05-16-2010 10:10 AM
Well, I Finally Did It -spam- General Talk 4 12-09-2007 05:21 AM
Finally did it.. joan Welcomes and Introductions 5 11-13-2007 09:24 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:33 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top