Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

pentax nikon club

I love both and find them very similar. I see some people here argue between them but to me they're brothers in both the way the feel and handle and in their struggles against the overstated over hyped Canon. If you feel this way then this is the thread for you. Join us!

08-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thank you - yes, there is a lot of common philosophy between the two companies, though of course divergences as well. Canon by comparison, feh. How many orphaned lens mounts have they left behind?
08-15-2013, 09:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree, I love both my Pentax's and my Nikon. While I have more of a kindred love with my K5's, like they are family.. .the D800 is more like a highschool girlfriend.
08-15-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Thank you - yes, there is a lot of common philosophy between the two companies
My thoughts as well. Historically I always wanted a Nikon, liked both Pentax and Minolta, and ended up buying Ricoh. If I were to buy a new dSLR I would be hard put to spend the money on a K5II over a D600.

Steve

(...currently owns six Pentax and four Ricoh and two Minolta...two Canon...one Olympus...sadly no Nikon...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-15-2013 at 09:56 PM.
08-15-2013, 10:20 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I generally don't hate any camera or system (though in my local forums, the Sony users seem to have the most cocky ones who patrol the newbie and portraits subsections to bully newcomers)
Not to mention the rise of the cult of NEX-priests that was pretty wide spread for sometime everywhere (where the mantra was "MILC is the future; I've seen the light; and all you other guys are suckers" )
So I've developed a slight distaste for Sony.

Despite me finding the control scheme and camera philosophy of Canon to be not that good, there is a certain simplicity of using my 5D with manual lenses that I like and make me think that "12mp and this clunky old tech is all that I need; the rest is up to me"
And for manual lenses, I think its hard to beat a Canon 5D series cameras with the excellent EE-S/EE-G precision focusing screen and the ability to use many mounts via adapters.
08-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #6
MJL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Penatx & Nikon are similar?

QuoteOriginally posted by shaolen Quote
I love both and find them very similar.
Interesting. I agree both make great camera & optics, but they are very different in many aspects. Nikon is big, heavy, technology oriented, expensive and have a lot of professional gears to offer. On the other hand, Pentax is always light, compact, user-oriented, reasonably priced and almost abandoned professional gears.

Last edited by MJL; 08-16-2013 at 12:48 PM.
08-16-2013, 12:48 PM   #7
MJL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Highschool girlfriend"

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
the D800 is more like a highschool girlfriend.
I wish my Nikon gears are as easy to deal with as my highschool girlfriends.

08-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #8
MJL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NEX-priests

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Not to mention the rise of the cult of NEX-priests that was pretty wide spread for sometime everywhere (where the mantra was "MILC is the future; I've seen the light; and all you other guys are suckers" )
C'mon, there is till nice NEX users who do not preach about the (many) virtues of MILC - like me.
08-16-2013, 02:44 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
the D800 is more like a highschool girlfriend.
I have a hard time understanding the sentiment here, please help me out. What feelings do you have for your D800 that are similar to the feelings you have (or had, or whatever) for a HSGF? I could see this going in many directions.
08-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #10
MJL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
I have a hard time understanding the sentiment here, please help me out. What feelings do you have for your D800 that are similar to the feelings you have (or had, or whatever) for a HSGF? I could see this going in many directions.
From the F2 with Ai lenses to D800 with FX lenses - they are great but stone cold and over complicated. Which direction you were thinking?
08-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #11
Site Supporter

I don't want to speak on the record. I won't kiss and tell.

Similarly, if I were to buy a D800, I would have to be discreet to avoid issues of jealousy and also to avoid having my other camera bodies think I am judgmental and shallow.
08-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I started with SLRs in high school in the late 1970's, a Canon AE-1. Later I upgraded to an A-1, which Canon called "hexaphotocybernetics".
I called it "Help, my camera appears to have swallowed a pocket calculator!" Future shock compelled me to sell the Canons.

My "back to basics" camera was a Nikon FM when I started college. Later I added a Nikon FTn Photomic, a camera I truly loved.
When those got stolen I replaced them with a Nikon FM2n which I used through my thirties. It did the job but was nothing special.

By forty I had discovered Pentax (by way of Ricoh). I started with a Pentax KX, a camera I once chided a friend for buying.
What did he know that I didn't? The Pentax KX is sublime. I was convinced, and used Pentax exclusively ever since.

But recent low prices on film gear intensified the siren song of Nikon.
Last year I purchased an F2 Photomic and several Nikkor lenses.
And I just added a Nikonos to my collection...

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 08-16-2013 at 04:09 PM.
08-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
Makes you happy, you have a lot of fun, and there are fantastic memories....but not your true love

QuoteOriginally posted by MJL Quote
I wish my Nikon gears are as easy to deal with as my highschool girlfriends.
Tell me about it...
08-17-2013, 01:59 AM   #14
Pentaxian

C'mon, there is till nice NEX users who do not preach about the (many) virtues of MILC - like me.
Thats why I said I only got problems with the 'priests'
Cause I'm a MILC user too
08-17-2013, 06:33 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Interesting. I agree both make great camera & optics, but they are very different in many aspects. Nikon is big, heavy, technology oriented, expensive and have a lot of professional gears to offer. On the other hand, Pentax is always light, compact, user-oriented, reasonably priced and almost abandoned professional gears.
those differences are true however they hold many similar concepts and features. Operationally they are similar. Button layouts are similar. They both focus more on a analog experience with levers dials and switches where people like canon prefer buttons and LCD menus. This is also apparent with the mount how they both have kept screw drives and use all their old vintage lenses. Pentax is like Nikons smaller cousin and Nikon is like Pentax's more mainstream cousin.