Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2013, 01:07 AM   #1

If it's not D600, then what? A 6D? Or ...

Hi people,

I've had tough luck with the D600.
It is wonderful but got the dreaded oil spots after a week of mildly-intense shooting.
I can still return it, but then what?
I need an upgrade NOW (I have a one year old daughter) and have not upgraded since D40.

I have Nikon glass, however I might consider going Canon, I know the 6D seems to be a bit crippled in terms of features...
I don't feel like doing QC for Nikon (no time and not really sure one more try would change anything) and the oil issue seems very real and widespread (from personal experience and forum news).
And to me not acceptable on a 2000 USD camera.
D800 is too much in terms of price and MP.
So not much choice really. Or?

Cheers

08-19-2013, 01:42 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
D700 perhaps? Not a new body, but certainly a solid performer.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-19-2013, 02:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Why complicate your life? Simply return for another D600 and see if you have better luck.

Jason
08-19-2013, 02:52 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Why complicate your life? Simply return for another D600 and see if you have better luck.
Jason
I thought so, but I am getting the feeling that the issue is so widespread that this could be a waste of time.
Considering that I like the D600 very much, maybe it's worth another try.
I am a bit nervous the issue might show up later though, after the no frills return policy is gone...

08-19-2013, 02:56 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DavidOBryan Quote
Do you really need a D600 to take snaps of your child? Why not buy an awesome lens and a D7000 instead?
Maybe not, but I always wanted to eventually upgrade to FF for the depth of field control (portraits) and wide angle.
I have certainly considered a D7000, but they seem to also be prone to some oil/dust and reviews are not very consistent.
I might as well get a D90, hardly ever heard a bad thing about those. too many choices.
08-19-2013, 02:57 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
D700 perhaps? Not a new body, but certainly a solid performer.
Thanks, only trouble is where to find a good one with low shutter count in Europe.
Certainly a great option.
08-19-2013, 03:38 AM   #7
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by eagle_fly Quote
Question answered.

Return it, wait until you're comfortable with buying another one, or another model is released.

And Nikon will take care of the body, free of charge. This shouldn't look like a 1st world problem scenario, but it's very easy. It's not something you NEED, so return it and wait it out until you figure out the next move.

08-19-2013, 03:40 AM   #8
Banned

Thanks, only trouble is where to find a good one with low shutter count in Europe.
Certainly a great option.
One can find them everywhere, including new. Try Ebay, Amazon, as well as Nikon dealers. I see new ones everywhere. I know, I look once in a while when I think about getting a fast 24 for Nikon.
08-19-2013, 04:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Return it, then buy another D600 from someone else

Maybe the store you bought from has older D600 inventory.

I would return D600, get your cash back & buy D600 from another dealer with cash back return policy.

I read thru a few Nikon forums and D600 oil issues have been resolved with newly made D600.

I agree D700 is a fine choice if you can find a legit like new example. Having two D700 inhand keeps me from having to buy the newest nikon dslrs.

Once you have a great dslr inhand you can wait and buy when Nikon's QC becomes important for Nikon to care about.

Hi people,

I've had tough luck with the D600.
It is wonderful but got the dreaded oil spots after a week of mildly-intense shooting.
I need an upgrade NOW (I have a one year old daughter) and have not upgraded since D40.

I have Nikon glass, however I might consider going Canon, I know the 6D seems to be a bit crippled in terms of features...
I don't feel like doing QC for Nikon (no time and not really sure one more try would change anything) and the oil issue seems very real and widespread (from personal experience and forum news).
And to me not acceptable on a 2000 USD camera.
D800 is too much in terms of price and MP.
So not much choice really. Or?

Cheers
08-19-2013, 05:45 AM   #10
Banned

However, how does the D700 fare against the K-5, D7000, and D600 in terms of high ISO capability?
08-19-2013, 06:10 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Maybe the store you bought from has older D600 inventory.

I would return D600, get your cash back & buy D600 from another dealer with cash back return policy.

I read thru a few Nikon forums and D600 oil issues have been resolved with newly made D600.
I was hoping that the issues are gone, however that might be too optimistic.
I got the camera from the german Amazon.
Trying one more seems to be an option...
08-19-2013, 06:35 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's simple enough to clean the sensor; also, other cameras get spots on the sensor, even (or especially) when new. I'm going to clean the K-30 sensor as it has some spots now; I cleaned the D600 nearly right away as it came (refurbished) with the spots already on

I use a Dust-Aid silicone wand, it has so far been very effective, easy and safe.
08-19-2013, 06:41 AM   #13
Banned

I'm not sure about why this is a big deal. Should be returned, or go to Nikon:

https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18180

https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/55647

They pay for everything, so I really don't think there's anything here to lose. The OP has many options, from returning the body, to sending it to Nikon, at their cost, and they will clean, inspect, and test, free of charge.
08-19-2013, 07:08 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
It's simple enough to clean the sensor; also, other cameras get spots on the sensor, even (or especially) when new. I'm going to clean the K-30 sensor as it has some spots now; I cleaned the D600 nearly right away as it came (refurbished) with the spots already on

I use a Dust-Aid silicone wand, it has so far been very effective, easy and safe.
Thanks for suggestion.

True, for dust ok, I can live with it. But for oil spots from the (rumored) shutter mechanism spraying oil on a 2k camera, I have a problem.
Seems like entering a possibly endless loop, not really interested and hence looking for options.
For instance: why no such problems with D90 etc, but problems with D7000 and later?
08-19-2013, 07:09 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote

Jason
I'd go this route, you may have missed my "Do NOT buy a 5D3" thread