Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2013, 07:11 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
I'm not sure about why this is a big deal. Should be returned, or go to Nikon:

https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18180

https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/55647

They pay for everything, so I really don't think there's anything here to lose. The OP has many options, from returning the body, to sending it to Nikon, at their cost, and they will clean, inspect, and test, free of charge.
Not a big deal. Question is: if I get tired of QCing their units and want to break the loop with D600 (aka Dust600 ), what are the options?
Other question: will they fix the issue (or have they, it seems not)

08-19-2013, 07:23 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
I'd go this route, you may have missed my "Do NOT buy a 5D3" thread
Clicker, just read your thread. I'm glad that the issue was eventually resolved I'm kinda losing hope (after what I read), but will give it one more try.
08-19-2013, 07:47 AM   #18
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by eagle_fly Quote
Not a big deal. Question is: if I get tired of QCing their units and want to break the loop with D600 (aka Dust600 ), what are the options?
Other question: will they fix the issue (or have they, it seems not)
You won't QC their cams if you don't repeatedly buy. Move to Canon, get a D700, get a d7000. Are you married to Nikon with your lenses? Are you married to Full Frame?

Here's what Roger Cicala has to say about the dust issues:

LensRentals.com - D600 Sensor Dust Issues

QuoteQuote:
Addendum July, 2013: I tire of being misquoted by fanboys on various forums, so please, if you want to quote me, copy paste instead of putting words in my mouth.
1) We found, over time, the dust issues decreased. Somewhere around 5,000 to 10,000 shots the D600s stopped having megadust.
2) When D600s do have dusty sensors, as all cameras do, it still seems to congregate in the upper left side of the image, but it’s more normal dust and fewer huge chunks.
3) We have NOT. I repeat, we have NOT ever said newer bodies don’t have the problem. We have no idea. Nikon demand is down hugely this year and we simply haven’t had to buy any more D600s or D800s (or anything else Nikon, really). I would assume Nikon has figured out a fix by now, but that’s just an assumption with no data to back it up.
Roger Cicala
08-19-2013, 07:49 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eagle_fly Quote
Thanks for suggestion.

True, for dust ok, I can live with it. But for oil spots from the (rumored) shutter mechanism spraying oil on a 2k camera, I have a problem.
Seems like entering a possibly endless loop, not really interested and hence looking for options.
For instance: why no such problems with D90 etc, but problems with D7000 and later?
Show me any camera that's perfect -- in design, in manufacture, in use. I do understand the frustration with the oil, it almost stopped me from getting the D600.
But in perspective, the issue may not be such a killer in the long run. We do catch internetitis from each other, what with all the material positivists (LOL, I had to work at that euphenism) on the net. You know, opinions start to feed on themselves, and such and such a lens gets a 'garbage' rep, for example, from people most of whom haven't even tried it, or learned to use it properly.

But, once convinced of something, it may not be worth while to un-convince one's self. I totally see that, and there's plenty where I'm content in simplifying my life

I may have a different take on the D600 in another few months, depending on how dirty the sensor keeps getting and whether the cleaning remains easy

08-19-2013, 11:26 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Not to state the obvious, but why not get a Pentax? I don't know your skill, but I'd bet good money a K-30 or K-5iis is a better camera than you are a photographer. I know it is true for me. That and some nice limited glass looks to be better than a full frame to me, money in my pocket, and no broken neck from carrying around that Nikon boat anchor. My Sigma 30mm/1.4 always has enough DOF control for me. I guess I'm just a happy guy.
08-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Not to state the obvious, but why not get a Pentax? I don't know your skill, but I'd bet good money a K-30 or K-5iis is a better camera than you are a photographer. I know it is true for me. That and some nice limited glass looks to be better than a full frame to me, money in my pocket, and no broken neck from carrying around that Nikon boat anchor. My Sigma 30mm/1.4 always has enough DOF control for me. I guess I'm just a happy guy.
Never say that. Some unhappy person will inevitably start sharing their unhappiness with you. Unhappiness abhors a vacuum.
08-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
and no broken neck from carrying around that Nikon boat anchor. My Sigma 30mm/1.4 always has enough DOF control for me. I guess I'm just a happy guy.
My, what wimps people have become. A "heavy" D800 weights 330 grams-force more than your k-5. Get a long neck strap, put on a pime and wear the camera at your side instead of hanging on your chest. I can carry that ALL day that way and hike miles with it too ( and have). And if that 330 grams-force is a factor, get a mirrorless. they makes something like a K-5 feel like a heavy tank.

08-19-2013, 01:27 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I do understand the frustration with the oil, it almost stopped me from getting the D600.
I'd recommend sending it it for a sensor cleaning while under warranty. They will replace the mirror assembly that causes the dust problem if it is one that had the wrong assembly installed. Or at least try and find out if your unit has the out-of-spec assembly. That's why, apparently, they say after so many shots it goes away. It wears in and becomes a net fit. My D600 came back with both a new assembly and sensor installed on the parts list.
08-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I haven't had any dust so far since the cleaning. So I'm good so far.

Re. heavy gear, after carting around a Speed Graphic 2x3 with roll film back, holding it with my left hand through the strap... carpal tunnel, nearly, and my elbow is still sore. Proper handling / hand placement would have made things better, but now I'm taking a break. The Crown Graphic is noticeably lighter though it also is a load. The newer monsters, Pentax 67, Fuji GM670, various Mamiyas, they all are hefty. So everything's relative, and I have plenty of new admiration for Weegee and co

Funny thing, I immediately start missing APS-C and Pentax shake reduction when I'm shooting a while with the Nikon.
08-20-2013, 12:02 AM   #25
nah

However, how does the D700 fare against the K-5, D7000, and D600 in terms of high ISO capability?
The advantage of Full Frame is the high ISO capabilities...

Nikon D700 vs Pentax K-5 II - Our Analysis

Advantages of the Nikon D700

Low light performance Significantly lower noise at high ISO 2,303 ISO vs 1,235 ISO
The D700 has a slight edge (0.9 f-stops) in low noise, high ISO performance
08-20-2013, 12:04 AM   #26
nah

I'm still a proponent of the RX1. I'm personally tired of lugging heavy lenses. I just want to make great pictures while on vacation.
08-20-2013, 12:10 AM   #27
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by nah Quote
The advantage of Full Frame is the high ISO capabilities...

Nikon D700 vs Pentax K-5 II - Our Analysis

Advantages of the Nikon D700

Low light performance Significantly lower noise at high ISO 2,303 ISO vs 1,235 ISO
The D700 has a slight edge (0.9 f-stops) in low noise, high ISO performance
It's not always so cut and dry as that, as in the 5DII/III comparisons to the K-5 (ie: shadows). I process for people that take horrendously banded high ISO 5DII pics all the time because they can't process out the banding.

1 stop usually the number between the K-5 and the FF cams, so has that not largely improved, all these years later? I've seen that comparison and it speaks little. The pictures and direct photo comparisons would, by people who have done it. DPR's comparometer is also the old type, so it's hard to get a baseline there.

The actual advantage, for the most part, are in having wider angle lenses and lower distortions, usually, and better edge performance at wider angles.

And since high ISO is not always the advantage, you have the lens options.

Last edited by snake; 08-20-2013 at 03:55 AM.
08-20-2013, 03:48 AM   #28
Veteran Member

The D600 oil spots stop being an issue after 3000 shots IIRC. I've had a couple on my D800e's and Nikon here in OZ gives you one "free" sensor clean under warranty. I would return it and reevaluate my needs and/or wait until September before buying something else. Nikon has new releases in September and Pentax may just surprise us also.
08-21-2013, 09:44 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I process for people that take horrendously banded high ISO 5DII pics
Been there, done that too. This is the sort of real-world problem that needs to be factored into some FF vs APS-C high-ISO assessments, and it isn't an issue that is readily apparent if you just look at DxOMark type measures. Probably the Nikon FF's don't have the same problems as Canon though.
08-21-2013, 10:33 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Been there, done that too. This is the sort of real-world problem that needs to be factored into some FF vs APS-C high-ISO assessments, and it isn't an issue that is readily apparent if you just look at DxOMark type measures. Probably the Nikon FF's don't have the same problems as Canon though.
No banding but horrendous AMP GLOW problems.

The following picture was taken on my D800E @ 1/200sec, f/1.4 and ISO800
The 1st shot is without pushing the shadows

This second shot (same file) pushes the shadows and there is meant to be a pink glow at the bottom but it's not showing up after exporting for some reason.

The Jpeg conversion seems to be moderating the purple glow but you can see it a little better in this crop from a screen grab. This is quite tame compared to what I can see in Lightroom and the forum's conversion is reducing the effect even more.

The K-5 has nothing like this problem and it's really disappointing the D800 and D600 both have this issue.

Last edited by bossa; 08-21-2013 at 11:58 PM.