Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2013, 04:40 AM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I'd begin by saying that I think these samples look very good indeed.
A thousand dollar lens, though, John!

08-28-2013, 06:01 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't think any of these shots "stress" the sensor particularly. They aren't high dynamic range shots, or shot in crazy isos. Clearly the photographer knows what he is doing and has a good lens -- that's what I see more than anything about this particular sensor.
08-28-2013, 06:05 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Personally, I don't think it concerns us enthusiast much.
On the other hand, while a legacy manual focus lens enthusiast might yearn for a better spec view finder / lcd, this looks like a very nice platform for the adapter set.

Also, this could be the first entry of the future of the APS-C market, replacing the bottom to middle of the SLR world.
08-28-2013, 06:14 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
On the other hand, while a legacy manual focus lens enthusiast might yearn for a better spec view finder / lcd, this looks like a very nice platform for the adapter set.
You're certainly correct there. The VF of the NEX7 is a fantastic tool for manually focussing legacy glass. Just for example: focussing a 55mm/1.2 is incredibly easy. Even when compared to an SLR with aftermarket focus screen. The only gripe I have with the NEX, is that it is so small and thus, an ergonomic nightmare. In comes the A3000. We're living in fun times, seeing so much change in the world of photography in such short periods.

08-28-2013, 06:25 AM   #35
Veteran Member

I just hope the Chinese capitalists have worked out a great way to keep a big variety of proprietary batteries in production; just in case anyone still wants to use these cameras some years from now.

My brother in law got me a high end bridge camera from some years ago, a Minolta it is, I don't recall what the MPage is or the model, it had one of those early EVFs and all kinds of adjustability. Yeah, I tried it out. Nah, I doubt I'll do so again until obligated.
08-28-2013, 06:50 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I just hope the Chinese capitalists have worked out a great way to keep a big variety of proprietary batteries in production; just in case anyone still wants to use these cameras some years from now.
As a sufferer from GAS (Gear Aquiring Syndrome) I have to ask: Why would we want to use the same cameras some years from now?

In any case, Pentax has been using the same type propriety battery for multiple models now. I don't see how that is any different.
08-28-2013, 07:15 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
As a sufferer from GAS (Gear Aquiring Syndrome) I have to ask: Why would we want to use the same cameras some years from now?
see, I shoot 100 year old cameras, and cameras from the late 70s through the 80s still seem contemporary to me.

But likely you are right, the cameras of today are as disposable as phones and computers. The cheapskate in me tells me that perhaps the cost effective way to surf this is by being 3 years behind the curve

08-28-2013, 11:39 PM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
This will make photography about lenses and optics again.
I agree. I think this is similar to what the K1000 was? No frills, just the essentials to produce great images. And now we have Pentax people hating on it? At that price, who cares about the quality of EVF. That great sensor only needs a lens to match.
08-28-2013, 11:54 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by prime.partisan Quote
I agree. I think this is similar to what the K1000 was? No frills, just the essentials to produce great images. And now we have Pentax people hating on it? At that price, who cares about the quality of EVF. That great sensor only needs a lens to match.
That hate is just out of jealousy. Or maybe regrets over the missed oppertunity. Pentax can still be first at a K1000D: Something like the Sony A3000 but with an FF sensor.

Last edited by Clavius; 08-29-2013 at 12:03 AM.
08-29-2013, 03:20 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by prime.partisan Quote
Well, honestly, I want to use a camera I enjoy shooting. Whether or not I can take decent photos with it. Obviously, a camera is just a light box for the lens and so the quality of the lens makes a big difference. But few of the people who buy this camera are going to be mounting 1000+ dollar lenses on it...
08-29-2013, 03:40 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Well, honestly, I want to use a camera I enjoy shooting. Whether or not I can take decent photos with it. Obviously, a camera is just a light box for the lens and so the quality of the lens makes a big difference. But few of the people who buy this camera are going to be mounting 1000+ dollar lenses on it...
No? It's a whole lot easier to afford and justify a 1000+ dollar lens when the body is THAT affordable as 300 dollars. Remember lenses last a lifetime. The body a year or 2. I paid 1200 EUROS for my K-5 a few years back. Money I could have better sunk in glass.

Like I said before, such affordable bodies with such high performance sensors will make photography about the optics and skills again.
08-29-2013, 05:41 PM   #42
HSV
Veteran Member

This one is like a NEX F3...but with a hotshoe and viewfinder. I think it's not a bad deal.

Being able to hook up a larger TTL flash is important for me, that is why I got the NEX 6 instead of the 3 or 5. The only thing annoying me on the a3000 is the lack of front/rear dials and buttons to change ISO, exposure comp, focus, etc. It basically has the same "not photographer friendly" layout of the NEX 3 series.
08-29-2013, 11:44 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HSV Quote
This one is like a NEX F3...but with a hotshoe and viewfinder. I think it's not a bad deal.

Being able to hook up a larger TTL flash is important for me, that is why I got the NEX 6 instead of the 3 or 5. The only thing annoying me on the a3000 is the lack of front/rear dials and buttons to change ISO, exposure comp, focus, etc. It basically has the same "not photographer friendly" layout of the NEX 3 series.
Exactly, and that's why I would love to see a Pentax higher tier version of this machine. With Pentax quality build, ergonomics and user interface.
08-30-2013, 06:02 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice camera output. A low end version of the Samsung NX20 in many ways.
The lens does indeed look good, as it should for the price asked.

20MP, Hmm... wonder where else this sensor has previously appeared, or if it is new?

Edit: upon reflection, I really like the low ISO IQ in these pictures. Really quite good.

Last edited by Clarkey; 08-30-2013 at 08:14 AM.
08-30-2013, 08:29 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Nice camera output. A low end version of the Samsung NX20 in many ways.
The lens does indeed look good, as it should for the price asked.

20MP, Hmm... wonder where else this sensor has previously appeared, or if it is new?
It has been used in Sony A58, and on dxomark it scored lower than Sony A57 with 16MP sensor, and A77 with 24MP sensor (Although the difference is small).
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-came.../(brand3)/Sony

A3000 should score better than these cameras, as it don't have the SLT mirror, but it might score lower than FI NEX 5T with 16MP or E-mount cameras with 24MP sensor.

Last edited by Fogel70; 08-30-2013 at 08:48 AM.