Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2013, 06:08 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Sony has plans of bringing out a full-frame mirrorless camera system.

There are rumors of Sony to bring out at-least one mirrorless full-frame before the end of 2013. Sony has already planned to bring out E-mount full-frame lenses, so seeing a mirrorless full-frame camera would only make sense. And looking at the innovations that Sony has been recently coming out with, it is entirely possible that they can do such a thing.

it is said that these cameras should come out in under 5 months.

Sony reportedly has full-frame mirrorless cameras coming this year | The Verge
Sony Full Frame attack: (SR5) Three E-mount FF to come within 5 months! | sonyalpharumors

09-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 2her0ck Quote
There are rumors of Sony to bring out at-least one mirrorless full-frame before the end of 2013. Sony has already planned to bring out E-mount full-frame lenses, so seeing a mirrorless full-frame camera would only make sense. And looking at the innovations that Sony has been recently coming out with, it is entirely possible that they can do such a thing.

it is said that these cameras should come out in under 5 months.

Sony reportedly has full-frame mirrorless cameras coming this year | The Verge
Sony Full Frame attack: (SR5) Three E-mount FF to come within 5 months! | sonyalpharumors
Well, it's about time that someone explored FF on a mirrorless. I wonder, though, if the market is ready for something like this. Wouldn't most pros/enthusiasts still prefer DSLRs?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-05-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Well, it's about time that someone explored FF on a mirrorless. I wonder, though, if the market is ready for something like this. Wouldn't most pros/enthusiasts still prefer DSLRs?
We just took a 4 day trip to Washington DC - I saw a couple of Pentax cameras, Olympus and a few Nikons. Most DSLRs were of the Canon variety. What really, really surprised me was that I saw just about as many NEX cameras as I did Canon dslrs. No Alphas mind you, just NEXs - a lot of them! It seems like Sony has a hit with those cameras, so making them in FF makes sense to me. If you asked most people what they would want to mount an adapted lens on, m4/3, nex aps-c or FF nex, which do you think they would want? 31mm limited at its proper/intended angle of view anyone?
09-05-2013, 01:50 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
We just took a 4 day trip to Washington DC - I saw a couple of Pentax cameras, Olympus and a few Nikons. Most DSLRs were of the Canon variety. What really, really surprised me was that I saw just about as many NEX cameras as I did Canon dslrs. No Alphas mind you, just NEXs - a lot of them! It seems like Sony has a hit with those cameras, so making them in FF makes sense to me. If you asked most people what they would want to mount an adapted lens on, m4/3, nex aps-c or FF nex, which do you think they would want? 31mm limited at its proper/intended angle of view anyone?
The NEX is a hit among consumers. FF will mean much higher price tags (or will it?) I guess if they can price a FF nex reasonably, there wouldn't me much of a reason to even keep aps-c around in the long run.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I have no doubt that Sony will indeed release a FF Nex very soon. I just hope that it pushes the other companies to follow suit.
09-06-2013, 06:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The NEX is a hit among consumers. FF will mean much higher price tags (or will it?) I guess if they can price a FF nex reasonably, there wouldn't me much of a reason to even keep aps-c around in the long run.
If there is one thing Sony has, it is money to artificially lower their pricing (they did it with the PS3, likely with the PS4, why not with a flagship lineup of FF NEXs?). They could absolutely dominate the mirrorless market with a sub $2k FF, and considering that the NEX lineup is pretty fleshed out, only having to essentially swap the sensor (and create new accompanying lenses) seem like ways to keep the cost down from the start too. Regardless, they are a lot more of a sure bet than a Pentax FF camera right now, so the next year will be interesting for everyone!