Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2013, 10:31 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nikon 1 System.

There's only two threads from Nikon 1 stuff but it would seem appropriate to contain all the shots in one thread, so we dont have to go looking. Mine will be in here, anyway, now I have two Nikon 1 cameras (confession... hardly ever use the J1 since acquiring the V1... BUT it still has its uses).

All shot with Nikon 1 V1 with 30-110mm lens

09-07-2013, 10:48 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those are some great shots- very clear and detailed too!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-08-2013, 01:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

great helicopter! I want a V2
09-08-2013, 01:22 AM   #4

Nicely done shots, it's about time there was a dedicated photo thread for these brilliant little things. Ultimate IQ doesn't please the pixel peepers but speed of operation (menu-diving aside) and the best metering I've ever experienced make them a fun carry around camera.

Here are a few of my J1 efforts:

09-08-2013, 10:22 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Probably selling my V1 for cheap to my sister since I already have the OMD, but I do like a lot of things about it. If it wasn't so menu driven I'd probably be tempted to keep it. The images are somewhat noisy since I took them inside but I find the grain to be pleasing to the eye.

10 mm f/2.8

09-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Those are some great shots- very clear and detailed too!
Thanks, Adam. I'm finding the Nikon 1 System a reasonable alternative to carting the K-5 and all its accoutrements about. I am pretty sure I would not have been able to nail these as well, with that (arthritis, weighty camera and lenses, and a reluctance to cart a tripod everywhere)
09-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by digitalCG Quote
Nicely done shots, it's about time there was a dedicated photo thread for these brilliant little things. Ultimate IQ doesn't please the pixel peepers but speed of operation (menu-diving aside) and the best metering I've ever experienced make them a fun carry around camera.
Nicely done. The J1 certain is a fun little thing You've done it proud here. Love the ducks!

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Probably selling my V1 for cheap to my sister since I already have the OMD, but I do like a lot of things about it. If it wasn't so menu driven I'd probably be tempted to keep it. The images are somewhat noisy since I took them inside but I find the grain to be pleasing to the eye.

10 mm f/2.8

Nice shots! I find it too noisy for inside or in the golden hour, also, but there are ways an means. You've done really well! Love the cat (I have one of those too)

I sometimes find menu diving a bit of a pest but it really depends on what you are doing. I've got the 10-30 permanently fixed to the J1, and the 30-110 fixed to the V1, both cameras are in manual with ISO set at Auto 100-3200 (mind you, thinking of reducing that because the 3200 isnt *that* good) so a quick twirl of the dial or flick of the switch for aperture and shutter speed means not too much diving needs doing. Yes, need to change things if I switch to the 10mm, but it really isnt that hard, or lengthy.

09-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Its not bad for birding (not as wonderful as a BIGMA of course, but who can afford one of those!) (V1 with 30-110mm)

A friend's doggie, cute little guy (J1 with 10-30mm)

09-10-2013, 08:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
Nicely done. The J1 certain is a fun little thing You've done it proud here. Love the ducks!

Nice shots! I find it too noisy for inside or in the golden hour, also, but there are ways an means. You've done really well! Love the cat (I have one of those too)

I sometimes find menu diving a bit of a pest but it really depends on what you are doing. I've got the 10-30 permanently fixed to the J1, and the 30-110 fixed to the V1, both cameras are in manual with ISO set at Auto 100-3200 (mind you, thinking of reducing that because the 3200 isnt *that* good) so a quick twirl of the dial or flick of the switch for aperture and shutter speed means not too much diving needs doing. Yes, need to change things if I switch to the 10mm, but it really isnt that hard, or lengthy.
Thanks! I think the only reason the menu driven thing bothers me is that I'm used to the OM-D and the K-5 where I can do most everything with knobs and buttons on the camera, but there's a reason those two cameras were sold at a higher price range. I think most people, especially those coming from P&S use, wouldn't mind the menus at all.

I should mention that I'm impressed with the video capabilities of the V1 for the price. Including a Mic In port. Not usually found on cameras below $1,000.

Not surprisingly, I've found shooting in RAW with the V1 helps quite a bit with the image quality, especially at higher ISOs.
09-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #10

Thanks for this thread. I'm looking into the Nikon AW1 for surfing photography.
09-20-2013, 12:06 AM   #11

A few more J1 images:

The Four C's by digitalCG, on Flickr

Sasquatch Hunting by digitalCG, on Flickr

Dash for Cash by digitalCG, on Flickr
09-20-2013, 09:48 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Good idea for a thread. The V1 has become my primary camera for motorcycle stories

AF is the killer app.
09-23-2013, 05:10 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Love those shots, John, (esp the bike path one) I'm drooling for a ZeroS but in Aus they are so expensive, cant afford one without selling the car first. And... sadly... I need it more.
10-07-2013, 12:05 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Good idea for a thread. The V1 has become my primary camera for motorcycle stories. AF is the killer app.
Great shots, indeed AF (and metering, I'd add) are killer. I'd also say that people shouldn't dismiss the 1 series out of hand as a more deliberate photographic tool, simply because of a smaller sensor and lack of direct controls. The tiniest of bags (or largest of pockets) carries J1, spare battery and a Gorillapod, ideal for staying inconspicuous in a big city.

10-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #15
Pentaxian