Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2013, 09:08 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A decent full frame option for pentax users

(SR5) First short NEX-FF system hands-on report (We need lenses)! | sonyalpharumors

Two new FF mirrorless cameras from sony to come soon. Looks like the wait is over. It seems one may be more budget oriented. If one was at the 1500 price mark that would be sweet.

09-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ah...the price.

20% larger than the NEX 7 makes it about the same size as the Fuji X-Pro 1.

Not a compact system:

Compare camera dimensions side by side

I would think the groused about 35/2.8 is a pancake style, reasonably affordable, and would more readily have edge to edge sharpness. The constant quest for f/1.4 glass gets a bit silly sometimes.

Waiting to see if the rumours are true.
09-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Soooo...the decent FF option is a rumored mirrorless camera that can use adapted K-mount lenses with minimal supported functionality. Forgive me if I fail to be suitably excited.

Steve
09-12-2013, 09:38 AM   #4

Definitely true, my 35/3.5 is not speedy but it's brutally sharp from a very modest 5-element design. Speed makes correcting for abberations much, much more difficult.

I think Sony is fully aware that a big draw to the system is adapting old lenses, which means they can't be taking big losses on the body. $2000 is pretty much par for the course for full frame, that's actually not too much of a disappointment.

09-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Soooo...the decent FF option is a rumored mirrorless camera that can use adapted K-mount lenses with minimal supported functionality. Forgive me if I fail to be suitably excited.
A full frame camera in hand, with focus peaking and the ability to adapt to virtually any lens ever released, is worth a hundred Pentax full-frame bodies in the bush.

It's not even like Pentax provides full functionality on their bodies either. "Crippled" Ka2 mount, I'm looking at you. No screwdrive and no aperture lug is pretty shameful in my book too. Nikon does it for everything except their consumer-level bodies, it's not even offered on Pentax's flagship bodies.

And from what it sounds like, Sony is also working on a NEX body with a Contax AX style moving-sensor autofocus system. That would get you autofocus with not just Pentax but also any other lens.

Maybe once it becomes clear that someone is eating their lunch someone at Ricoh will light a fire under the FF project's butt. You never know. It would be a major shift in direction though, because Pentax's full frame lens lineup is definitely on the thin side nowadays.

Last edited by Paul MaudDib; 09-12-2013 at 09:53 AM.
09-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
If it works like my Pentax lenses on my full frame NEX-VG900 I don't see the problem. There are many people here using their Pentax lenses on APS-C NEX bodies so a full frame sensor is going to work the same except having a sensor twice the size.
09-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #7
Pentaxian

It doesn't natively support K-mount lenses (with AF and stabilization), it has an EVF - nope, it's nowhere near "decent" for me.
Why are we even discussing a Sony product on a Pentax section?

09-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It doesn't natively support K-mount lenses (with AF and stabilization), it has an EVF - nope, it's nowhere near "decent" for me.
Why are we even discussing a Sony product on a Pentax section?
Because it's the only full frame that works with all Pentax lenses.
09-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #9
Pentaxian

That doesn't make it a Pentax SLR camera.
09-13-2013, 07:36 AM   #10
Banned

That doesn't make it a Pentax SLR camera.
Were did anyone say it was a Pentax SLR camera ?
09-13-2013, 09:25 AM   #11
Pentaxian

We are on the Pentax SLR Cameras → Pentax Full Frame section. That camera of yours is neither Pentax, nor a SLR - thus this thread is off-topic and IMO it should be moved.
Anyway, it's pointless to continue; if you want to talk about Sony cameras on the Pentax sections, I can't stop you. Have a nice evening.

L.E. Thanks for moving the thread!

Last edited by Kunzite; 09-13-2013 at 10:08 AM.
09-14-2013, 01:50 PM   #12
Banned

We are on the Pentax SLR Cameras → Pentax Full Frame section. That camera of yours is neither Pentax, nor a SLR - thus this thread is off-topic and IMO it should be moved.
Anyway, it's pointless to continue; if you want to talk about Sony cameras on the Pentax sections, I can't stop you. Have a nice evening.

L.E. Thanks for moving the thread!
This thread is not about my Sony full frame camcorder , it's about the new Sony E mount full frame mirrorless cameras coming out with one like the NEX-7 but 20% larger and the other like the new A3000 that should also be 20% larger.

09-15-2013, 04:00 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Would it not be ironic if Pentax ever did come out with a FF, it was not a SLR... the entire section would need to be burned at the stake
09-15-2013, 06:20 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Since neither I nor Pentax believe in a FF MILC, I'll take the chance
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
This thread is not about my Sony full frame camcorder , it's about the new Sony E mount full frame mirrorless cameras coming out with one like the NEX-7 but 20% larger and the other like the new A3000 that should also be 20% larger.
You're not contradicting what I said
09-15-2013, 06:27 AM   #15
Banned

For a full frame, all I need is a good, fast fifty with AF. From there, I can improvise the other focal lengths using MF and peaking.

Since legacies are popular with the Sony crowd, this will likely be big news.

I also wonder if the ZK 24 1.8 can work on FF without cropping.