Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2013, 06:05 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Can I step in for a moment and ask a related question? I will be immigrating to Australia in October and am not entirely clear of the rules for buying items from the USA and having it/them shipped to Australia. If I am reading the above posts clearly, I can buy items from B&H for example, and as long as the total value is less than $1000 AUD, I only pay for the shipping and no import fees or duty?

Thank you very much!

Jason
So, my friend was on holiday in the States recently, and when he returned he had bought a guitar for $999 (deliberately got it down to that price) so that he didn't have to pay what we call DUTY (note: it's not called import tax, you probably won't hear anyone refer to it as that) - so on items less than $1000, no.
However, your situation is different... you are MOVING over here. Presumably bringing your stuff with you, now I am not a duty lawyer, but I can't see how Australian Customs would slap a tax on you for moving your stuff over here. I mean that would be ridiculous, even for our ridiculous government.
In the process of moving here, you are not an Australian citizen and therefore are exempt from our charges etc., so I can't see how they would tax you.

If I were you I'd have a look at the website and maybe even call them, just to be sure, but no, I think you'll be fine.

09-17-2013, 08:42 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quazimoto Quote
So, my friend was on holiday in the States recently, and when he returned he had bought a guitar for $999 (deliberately got it down to that price) so that he didn't have to pay what we call DUTY (note: it's not called import tax, you probably won't hear anyone refer to it as that) - so on items less than $1000, no.
However, your situation is different... you are MOVING over here. Presumably bringing your stuff with you, now I am not a duty lawyer, but I can't see how Australian Customs would slap a tax on you for moving your stuff over here. I mean that would be ridiculous, even for our ridiculous government.
In the process of moving here, you are not an Australian citizen and therefore are exempt from our charges etc., so I can't see how they would tax you.

If I were you I'd have a look at the website and maybe even call them, just to be sure, but no, I think you'll be fine.
I am not concerned with what I am bringing as I have already had that sorted, just wanted to know more about if I buy something from an online retailer in the States, how much am I allowed to buy before it becomes a customs headache and pay import taxes. Lets say I buy a phone for $500 US, which is around $550 AUD. Will I simply only need to worry about the shipping costs and no further fees to the Australian state? Here in Greece, if you order something from an online retailer in the States and its over something around 100 euros or above, you pay through the nose, not only the VAT, but the outrageous handling costs.

Thanks!

Jason
09-17-2013, 04:12 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
I am not concerned with what I am bringing as I have already had that sorted, just wanted to know more about if I buy something from an online retailer in the States, how much am I allowed to buy before it becomes a customs headache and pay import taxes. Lets say I buy a phone for $500 US, which is around $550 AUD. Will I simply only need to worry about the shipping costs and no further fees to the Australian state? Here in Greece, if you order something from an online retailer in the States and its over something around 100 euros or above, you pay through the nose, not only the VAT, but the outrageous handling costs.

Thanks!

Jason
No, in Australia it's definitely over $1000 only, and that's for the item. e.g. if something is $950 and $100 shipping, they won't charge you duty as long as the item's value is written as $950.

You might find yourself ordering from Asia more often anyway, where customs don't seem to really care HOW much is costs.
09-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quazimoto Quote
No, in Australia it's definitely over $1000 only, and that's for the item. e.g. if something is $950 and $100 shipping, they won't charge you duty as long as the item's value is written as $950.

You might find yourself ordering from Asia more often anyway, where customs don't seem to really care HOW much is costs.
Quote for truth, I've bought quite a lot of things from the States, non over $1000 in value so I've never been charged GST on arrival.

09-17-2013, 09:46 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
Quote for truth, I've bought quite a lot of things from the States, non over $1000 in value so I've never been charged GST on arrival.
Hm, is it GST they are charging you though?
Pretty sure DUTY is different to GST. For starters, it works out to a lot more than 10%. I'm pretty sure on about $1500 worth of stuff, you'll be hit up for $300-400 from customs, whereas GST is only ever 10% maximum.

Last edited by Quazimoto; 09-22-2013 at 02:28 AM.
11-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #21
Forum Member

Well, after about 3 days of deliberating whether or not to finally pull the trigger on the DA* 60-250 (a lens I've wanted for about 6 years) I finally went back to the B&H site just now to place my order... only to be greeted by a message stating that online ordering will be unavailable until about 6PM EST on Saturday. What gives? How do you have a sale that's supposed to run from around Thurs. until Monday and then just shut down online ordering on Black Friday?
11-29-2013, 09:01 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TiminyCricket Quote
Well, after about 3 days of deliberating whether or not to finally pull the trigger on the DA* 60-250 (a lens I've wanted for about 6 years) I finally went back to the B&H site just now to place my order... only to be greeted by a message stating that online ordering will be unavailable until about 6PM EST on Saturday. What gives? How do you have a sale that's supposed to run from around Thurs. until Monday and then just shut down online ordering on Black Friday?
B&H has always closed from sunset Friday until Sunset Saturday for religious reasons. Not to worry as the sale prices go through Monday.