Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do B&H / Adorama drop prices on most items on Black Friday?

Hey guys,
I'm Australian and we don't have Black Friday here, obviously because we don't have Thanksgiving - actually we do have Black Friday but it's just any Friday the 13th (like the one just gone), and no one takes much notice of it and there are certainly no crazy sales.

Anyway, last year was the first I knew about the sales that come about US Black Friday, and I remember there was some pretty sweet Pentax deals - some of the pro lenses at half RRP I think? Anyway, I am thinking of going into Nikon FF soon, and just wondered if on that day this year, B&H will have similar kinds of prices on some of the lenses I'm after, particularly the Tamron 24-70 and new 70-200, as well as maybe the Tokina 16-28, and even a Nikon body, like the D800?

Cheers guys.

09-15-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They probably will, but don't forget to factor in postage and import duties for anything over $1000. You'll probably still come out way in front though.
Also returns/warrantee repair will necessitate extra postage costs.

I bought a DA*16-50 and DA*50-135 last year for $750 each. No regrets.
09-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah returns/warranty wouldn't be great but I'm comparing them to Asian places where it'd either be the same or worse, in that they wouldn't HAVE a warranty.

So, Sandy, have you ever had to pay duty on something you've bought from O.S.? Because although I never have, that's because I've never imported something over $1000, but I have a friend who has bought a 5D-2, a 5D-3, and 3 L series lenses, 5 items total over $1000 and he's never ever paid a cent of duty.. what's the go?
09-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I got slugged for the above purchase. Don't bet on getting away with it.

09-15-2013, 08:25 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Quazimoto Quote
Hey guys,
I'm Australian and we don't have Black Friday here, obviously because we don't have Thanksgiving - actually we do have Black Friday but it's just any Friday the 13th (like the one just gone), and no one takes much notice of it and there are certainly no crazy sales.

Anyway, last year was the first I knew about the sales that come about US Black Friday, and I remember there was some pretty sweet Pentax deals - some of the pro lenses at half RRP I think? Anyway, I am thinking of going into Nikon FF soon, and just wondered if on that day this year, B&H will have similar kinds of prices on some of the lenses I'm after, particularly the Tamron 24-70 and new 70-200, as well as maybe the Tokina 16-28, and even a Nikon body, like the D800?

Cheers guys.
There will probably be incentives on the D800. In fact, there's already a lot of deals out there on camera + lens bundles:

Nikon Buy Together And Save

Note that because of how MAP works in the US, it's the manufacturer that determines the black friday price drops.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Adam and Sandy.
Sandy - so even though the individual items were under $1000 each, they charged you duty because TOGETHER they were over $1000?! That's outrageous.
09-15-2013, 09:44 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sandy - so even though the individual items were under $1000 each, they charged you duty because TOGETHER they were over $1000?! That's outrageous.
Not really. Them's the rules.

09-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's a dumb rule when you think about it... if you had bought them separately, it would have been fine.
Why is it on a TOTAL of over $1000 rather than each item? So I could buy a K-5 II from Hong Kong every day for the rest of this year and not pay a cent of duty (and if I was dodgy and ran a shop, I could easily sell them at a profit too) - but if I order just TWO together, I am charged duty?
09-16-2013, 04:54 AM   #9
Adorama Camera Representative

Do B&H / Adorama drop prices on most items on Black Friday?

Hey guys,
Yes, we do! Go to any Adorama web page to sign up to receive coupons and notice of special deals on our website, - at the bottom right of any of our web pages

Adorama NYC Store 42 West 18th St New York, NY
Get exclusive access to expert tips, special offers and coupons.

There are several other ways you can find out about up-to-the minute deals:

- 'Follow us' on Twitter: @adorama (or me, @HelenOster)
- 'Like' us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Adorama
- Take a look at our regular 'Specials' here: Specials - Adorama.com
09-16-2013, 05:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Given what you quoted from me and then what you responded with, it seems you misunderstood me.
I was talking about Australia, and the fact that Black Friday isn't an acknowledged event here. I wasn't saying,YOU don't have specials or anything, I was just explaining why I have no idea what the deal is on the USA's holiday stuff. Cheers.
09-16-2013, 05:40 AM   #11

Given what you quoted from me and then what you responded with, it seems you misunderstood me.
I was talking about Australia, and the fact that Black Friday isn't an acknowledged event here. I wasn't saying,YOU don't have specials or anything, I was just explaining why I have no idea what the deal is on the USA's holiday stuff. Cheers.
Apologies; I did indeed misunderstand. An explanation for why we have 'Black Friday' sales, can be found here: Black Friday (shopping) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
09-17-2013, 02:30 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I will be in America during Black Friday actually, will see if I can drop by to check out the deals, but I will be based in Toronto....do you guys ship to Canada? Will there be tax and fees involved?
09-17-2013, 02:31 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
I will be in America during Black Friday actually, will see if I can drop by to check out the deals, but I will be based in Toronto....do you guys ship to Canada? Will there be tax and fees involved?
Yes, we do ship to Canada - and yes, there will be Canadian import taxes.
09-17-2013, 04:25 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Can I step in for a moment and ask a related question? I will be immigrating to Australia in October and am not entirely clear of the rules for buying items from the USA and having it/them shipped to Australia. If I am reading the above posts clearly, I can buy items from B&H for example, and as long as the total value is less than $1000 AUD, I only pay for the shipping and no import fees or duty?

Thank you very much!

Jason
09-17-2013, 05:57 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Can I step in for a moment and ask a related question? I will be immigrating to Australia in October and am not entirely clear of the rules for buying items from the USA and having it/them shipped to Australia. If I am reading the above posts clearly, I can buy items from B&H for example, and as long as the total value is less than $1000 AUD, I only pay for the shipping and no import fees or duty?

Thank you very much!

Jason
I don't work for B&H, but you would be advised to check the details of the threshold set by the Australian customs authority, here: When buying over the internet