Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
09-24-2013, 03:29 AM - 6 Likes   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Calling all Nikon fans!

Today I have a bit of exciting news to share, and I wanted to post it here first before it goes 100% public. I will soon be launching www.nikonforums.com, a brand new site (very similar in scope and spirit to PF) for Nikon users. My long-term goal is to provide exceptional communities for users of all camera brands, but we have to take things one step at a time So Nikon is next, then Canon, then mirrorless, and then perhaps serious compacts (but that's TBA).

The new site already has a fairly big following on Facebook, and it will officially be launched on October 1st. It has a number of features that PF doesn't, and if users end up liking them, I will of course add them here as well. One of the key areas of PF that I'm looking to improve are the lens and camera databases, and the new site has something along the lines of what I'd like to see running on PF. Anyway...

As I know that there are lots of users here who have either jumped ship or are using Nikon gear as a second system, I am looking for a handful of PF members to be the first to join the new site and do a bit of beta testing. While the new site's content isn't 100% finished yet, the software, design, and sections are all ready to go, so it won't feel like anything's missing. You can already post lens reviews, upload photos to the gallery, make your own blogs, post on the forum, etc.

As a sign of my thanks for trying out the new site, everyone who joins as a beta tester will get an upgraded account with lots of photo space. There will also be a number of giveaways hosted when the site goes live, so be sure not to miss those if you're into Nikon.

If you're interested in trying out the new site, please shoot me a PM and I will set up and account for you. Thanks for looking!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-24-2013, 08:24 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Dang, Adam, you really have some big plans.
09-24-2013, 08:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm amused that the name Nikonforums.com hasn't been taken up yet.
09-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Great news! I will definitively become a member.

09-24-2013, 09:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hey Adam, sounds great I almost regret to not have Nikon gear

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
One of the key areas of PF that I'm looking to improve are the lens and camera databases,
I have no idea of if it's possible, but may i suggest that the Lens database of third-party lens maker be shared by both sites ? Hence, when someone from Nikon forum add a Review of a lens, say a Tamron/ Sigma / Samyang for exemple, this review to be visible on the Pentax forum too ?
Everyone would have acces to a bigger database that would expand faster too.

Anyway, congrats for your new site
09-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Maybe the two sites should share the not-brand-specific content? E.g the single in...game, or any of the other more social events? Maybe all the Groups?
09-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Maybe the two sites should share the not-brand-specific content? E.g the single in...game, or any of the other more social events? Maybe all the Groups?
It's not easy to implement that, but a single login is what I'm aiming for in the long run.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I'm amused that the name Nikonforums.com hasn't been taken up yet.
They were taken, but we acquired them. The sites were just parked, fortunately!

Adam

09-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
Hey Adam, sounds great I almost regret to not have Nikon gear

I have no idea of if it's possible, but may i suggest that the Lens database of third-party lens maker be shared by both sites ? Hence, when someone from Nikon forum add a Review of a lens, say a Tamron/ Sigma / Samyang for exemple, this review to be visible on the Pentax forum too ?
Everyone would have acces to a bigger database that would expand faster too.

Anyway, congrats for your new site
+1!!!

Having reviews show up from people using Sigmas and Vivitars that are the same except for the mount would really help the 3rd party lens reviews! Same thing with flashes and other non-dedicated accessories.
09-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
This is great news. Thanks Adam.
09-26-2013, 08:39 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Best of luck, Adam! Hope there's a Nikon 1 section there!
09-26-2013, 08:47 AM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Best of luck, Adam! Hope there's a Nikon 1 section there!
There certainly is. There is also a nikon 1 lens / camera DB.

Adam

09-26-2013, 03:02 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it already sounds like a good ride to come on.
09-26-2013, 07:34 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Geez Adam, you're a sucker for punishment aren't you?
09-27-2013, 02:53 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Oh wow-weee........ NICE! But i guess Canonforums.com would have to wait?

I would be interested in the Canon Marketplace forum for my Pentax lenses... :P