Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2013, 05:22 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Interesting. Cheaper than I thought. Even if the cameras are terrible in all other ways these will be very popular with the premium lens converter crowd.

10-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Interesting. Cheaper than I thought. Even if the cameras are terrible in all other ways these will be very popular with the premium lens converter crowd.
Yea but what draws the people who aren't part of this crowd? Something like the d800 + sig 35 1.4 / nikon 50 1.8 / nikon 85 1.8 represents a tremendous performance/price ratio that is unequaled imo.

Smaller size is great, but what are the special lenses for this mount, what are the budget lenses for this mount? Who else is making ff lenses for this mount? Between nikon/canon there are a few amazing lenses that i would have to own if i had one of their full-frame cameras, hard to say the same thing in regards to sony.

As far as owners of leica lenses i can understand the appeal of this Sony, I have no idea why anybody buys Leica cameras, they are overpriced and technologically inferior, or at least have been in the past -- I stopped paying attention after the M9.

Let me just say that I absolutely respect the art of engineering when it comes to mechanical devices, I have a German car, I love German mechanical watches like Nomos and GO, I like German tools. I think Leica made great film cameras, Leica makes great lenses, Leica makes inferior digital bodies.

I wouldn't buy a TV that is handcrafted in Germany using the best materials and exacting standards because I don't expect or even want the TV to last more than a few years, the performance is what I care about. I would rather buy 2 or 3 Japanese, Korean, or Chinese TV's that are technologically superior during that time period (for the same total price).

I wouldn't hesitate to use a Leica M3 over any other 35mm film camera ever made. I can think of many cameras I would rather use than, say, a Leica M8. Including its own successors, which take demonstrably better pictures. The cycle of technological obsolescence doesn't pause because you put a red dot on something.

Sorry, went off on a tangent there.
10-04-2013, 02:12 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by azimuthal Quote
Yea but what draws the people who aren't part of this crowd? Something like the d800 + sig 35 1.4 / nikon 50 1.8 / nikon 85 1.8 represents a tremendous performance/price ratio that is unequaled imo.

Smaller size is great, but what are the special lenses for this mount, what are the budget lenses for this mount? Who else is making ff lenses for this mount? Between nikon/canon there are a few amazing lenses that i would have to own if i had one of their full-frame cameras, hard to say the same thing in regards to sony.

There are no budget lenses, yet. Currently only Sony and Zeiss are making lenses for the camera. I expect that will change. Sigma made some excellent lenses for the APS-C NEX. This won't be a bargain system though. I don't expect to see that holy trinity, of value lenses, in FF E-mount anytime soon. Bargain lenses will be legacy glass adapted to the cameras, and it will be a perfect home for Takumars and MF K-mount glass.
10-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Perfect for?

10-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #20
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by azimuthal Quote

As far as owners of leica lenses i can understand the appeal of this Sony, I have no idea why anybody buys Leica cameras, they are overpriced and technologically inferior, or at least have been in the past -- I stopped paying attention after the M9.

Let me just say that I absolutely respect the art of engineering when it comes to mechanical devices, I have a German car, I love German mechanical watches like Nomos and GO, I like German tools. I think Leica made great film cameras, Leica makes great lenses, Leica makes inferior digital bodies.

I wouldn't buy a TV that is handcrafted in Germany using the best materials and exacting standards because I don't expect or even want the TV to last more than a few years, the performance is what I care about. I would rather buy 2 or 3 Japanese, Korean, or Chinese TV's that are technologically superior during that time period (for the same total price).

I wouldn't hesitate to use a Leica M3 over any other 35mm film camera ever made. I can think of many cameras I would rather use than, say, a Leica M8. Including its own successors, which take demonstrably better pictures. The cycle of technological obsolescence doesn't pause because you put a red dot on something.

The Sony full frame E mount works with 200 million lenses.
Lenses | B&H Photo Video
Metabones® - Metabones® Introduces Third-Generation Smart Adapter?
Sony Nex E-Mount Lens Guide – Best E-Mount Lens Prices and Reviews!! | SonyAlphaLab.com | Sony Alpha, Nex, and Cyber-Shot Camera and Lens Reviews
Sony Nex (E-Mount) Lens Adapters Guide | SonyAlphaLab.com | Sony Alpha, Nex, and Cyber-Shot Camera and Lens Reviews
NEX lens adapter | eBay
Review: Rokinon 24mm T1.5 (Sony NEX E Mount)
10-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Perfect for?
Come on, busting my chops? Should I have said nearly perfect for? Sure, A lenses will be missing some functionality. Legacy glass is a joy to use on a NEX camera, in my opinion.
10-05-2013, 05:24 AM   #22
Veteran Member

This is what will make it the ultimate lens adapter camera, a good niche that Sony already has capitalized on as you well know. Only Fuji and M43 really compete with them here, and this should give them a leg up.

I am less convinced it will improve on existing FF options as far as AF lenses go, at least at first. Like the previous NEX cameras I think this will take some time to fill their lens lineup.

10-05-2013, 07:06 AM   #23
Banned

updated and corrected: The A7 and A7r are weathersealed

(SR5) updated and corrected: The A7 and A7r are weathersealed. | sonyalpharumors
10-05-2013, 07:53 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Those are looking better and better!
10-05-2013, 08:09 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I guess you guys didn't see the lensrentals report about using any camera with any adapter.
10-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I guess you guys didn't see the lensrentals report about using any camera with any adapter.
Nope, but that would be hypocritical, since they rent them out.
10-05-2013, 01:02 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Yes I did... Should we believe them?
10-05-2013, 02:16 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Yes I did... Should we believe them?
To quote from the article itself:

QuoteQuote:
What Does It Mean in the Real World?

Like a lot of laboratory testing, probably not a lot. Adapters couldn’t all stink or people wouldn’t use them. Like a lot of tests, you can detect a very real difference in the lab that doesn’t make much difference at all in the real world.
In the real world, many other things affect picture quality, some far more significantly than imperfections in the lens to camera interface - which exist even when no adapter is used (as the article also points out at the beginning).

If you read the comments (as well as comments in other web sites) regarding the article, there are several issues with the measurements and the conditions that make the results rather inconclusive.

Probably best to wait until someone has actually compared the results from the upcoming Sony A7r against the Leica M on the same lens - until then it's just speculation.
10-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Funny, the comments on that article are mostly whining, moaning, and complaining. What is it about the internet that makes people so negative?
10-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #30
Banned

full frame NEX-VG900 with LA-EA3 adaptor and A mount 135mm F1.8
image from above combination

Last edited by jogiba; 10-05-2013 at 06:10 PM.