Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2013, 06:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Sony FF E-mount is an OM-D Look a Like.

Sony will launch two Olympus OMD alike Full Frame E-mount cameras!!! | Mirrorless Rumors

I wonder if Olympus is making this for Sony as part of their new partnership.

10-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Sony decided to name all high end cameras as “Alpha“. No matter if these will be real A-mount cameras, E-mount DSLR shaped cameras or more compact E-mount cameras like the RX1 and NEX series. All High End models will be Alpha. That’s why the first two E-mount Full Frame cameras will be named “A7” and “A7r“. Both have exactly the same design (with NEX-7 grip, EVF in the middle and RX1 size). The difference is in the sensor. The A7 has 24MP sensor, more fps and different AF speed. The A7r has a 36MP sensor and less fps (and I have been told a bit “different” AF).
(SR5) And the NEX-FF names are….A7 and A7r! | sonyalpharumors
10-03-2013, 09:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote

I wonder if Olympus is making this for Sony as part of their new partnership.
Your dream come true.

Olympus has shown that the new PDAF, on sensor tech, can be used with lenses designed for PDAF. It's supposedly pretty slow, per DPReview. I hope that is not the case for any adapted A-mount lenses, on this new camera. Or the new A-mount full frames.
10-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

How many Pentaxians are about to buy a Sony FF to mount their FF glass? This would seem to be another so-called nail in the coffin for a Pentax FF unless they happen to surprise everyone and release a FF as well as the rumoured K-3 in a couple of weeks.

10-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
How many Pentaxians are about to buy a Sony FF to mount their FF glass? This would seem to be another so-called nail in the coffin for a Pentax FF unless they happen to surprise everyone and release a FF as well as the rumoured K-3 in a couple of weeks.
"So-called" is the right term to use. Given the amount of gear that some people on this Forum seem to have (nothing personal, just my observation and including myself) I don't think it would significantly affect the numbers of people who would buy a Pentax FF body if and when it appears. An OEM body will almost certainly improve functionality for use, especially with legacy lenses, even without restoring the stop-down coupler (the cheapskate measure that I wish they would restore, but don't hold my breath for).

We also seem to continually lose sight of the fact that the mature Western and Japanese economies, while obviously important, are only one market segment, and the markets in the emerging economies are quite different, so buyer motivation is different there, with fewer preconceptions about legacy issues, but with more potential customers there, too.
10-03-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

All good points but like anyone I tend to see things more from my own perspective.
10-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah, well, personal nails in coffins is quite another matter!

10-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I wasn't taking about my own as I have no intention of using it.
10-03-2013, 08:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nail in the coffin for Pentax full frame?

I look at it the other way, I'd say it pressures them to release one even more. Either that or totally commit to APS-C and show us something we haven't seen.

It could peel off some Pentax users, not sure how many, but definitely some. But I am just going to ballpark guess the price of these rumored Sony cameras: $2,000 for the "cheap" 24 mp model and $3,000 or so for the 36 mp model. If I'm right, that's a lot of money to pay for a camera that can't autofocus my FA Limiteds. I would also expect a FF Pentax to benefit from the technology being put into the K-3, plus it would likely feature a nice OVF and fit the form factor of the camera better.

Now if Pentax doesn't come out with FF next year, I could see picking one of these up as a way to guarantee that I can use my K-mount lenses into the future, and then use the Sony E-Mount FF primarily with the Zeiss lenses that are made for it. But I'd still likely keep all my Pentax cameras to allow the autofocus option for my Pentax lenses as well.

I think the company these cameras really should worry is Leica. While $3,000 looks like a lot compared to a K-5II, it looks like peanuts compared to a Leica M240, which can't autofocus anyway. This could finally be the Bessa or Ikon cost range for digital M-mount lens users.
10-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wasn't taking about my own as I have no intention of using it.
No, well, who does?
10-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
No, well, who does?
There a number I believe
10-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Nail in the coffin for Pentax full frame?

I look at it the other way, I'd say it pressures them to release one even more. Either that or totally commit to APS-C and show us something we haven't seen.

It could peel off some Pentax users, not sure how many, but definitely some. But I am just going to ballpark guess the price of these rumored Sony cameras: $2,000 for the "cheap" 24 mp model and $3,000 or so for the 36 mp model. If I'm right, that's a lot of money to pay for a camera that can't autofocus my FA Limiteds. I would also expect a FF Pentax to benefit from the technology being put into the K-3, plus it would likely feature a nice OVF and fit the form factor of the camera better.

Now if Pentax doesn't come out with FF next year, I could see picking one of these up as a way to guarantee that I can use my K-mount lenses into the future, and then use the Sony E-Mount FF primarily with the Zeiss lenses that are made for it. But I'd still likely keep all my Pentax cameras to allow the autofocus option for my Pentax lenses as well.

I think the company these cameras really should worry is Leica. While $3,000 looks like a lot compared to a K-5II, it looks like peanuts compared to a Leica M240, which can't autofocus anyway. This could finally be the Bessa or Ikon cost range for digital M-mount lens users.
Well said.

My main concern is that if Pentax/Ricoh leave the FF option too long then they'll definitely end up being too late to the party even though there are new customers with each passing year. As a manufacturer you really don't want to lose a lot of your user base to the competition as those people effectively take your reputation with them. Starting from scratch may end up being what they want but I doubt it.

Perhaps a new mirrorless 645D MkII with a FF crop mode will change things up.
10-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote

Considering the waiting list for the M240, they better be scared, for sure. Though I guess it may mean more lens sales for them. FF NEX forum wish posts were inundated with people saying they'd love to use their M-glass on a full frame NEX.
10-04-2013, 05:11 AM   #14
Banned

A7 price lower than current Canon and Nikon FF cameras!

QuoteQuote:
Body only will be priced around 1600-1700 Euro/Dollars and there will be a kit option with the 28-70mm lens for less than 2000 Euro/Dollars
(SR5) A7 price lower than current Canon and Nikon FF cameras! | sonyalpharumors
10-04-2013, 05:17 AM   #15
Veteran Member

It seems more and more like the perfect camera.