Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Why anyone would name their lens after Rupert's squirrel is beyond me.
I can't believe how sharp this squirrel is, it must be a really good lens. I bet I could post a pixel peeper showing it is just as good as the Zeiss.

I am wondering… though what kind of lw/ph does this lens achieve compared to other lenses tested in the same lab? A test from one lab is pretty much useless, if you have nothing to compare it to, and lw/ph varies widely from test facility to test facility.

11-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #17
Veteran Member

The Zeiss is 11P-MP sharper from wide open than Nikon's new 58mm. It's unfortunate that Dx0 doesn't display MTF results in lp/mm, but, non the less, one would have to agree that an apparent 11MP improvement in resolution is quite a remarkable achievement. I'm tempted to sell what's left of my Pentax rig as well as my Sigma 50mm for one of these but it might be prudent to see what Sigma comes up with in light of their recent releases.

Zeiss Distagon T* Otus 1.4/55 ZF.2 Nikon vs Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G: New Nikkor Outclassed? - DxOMark
11-22-2013, 01:45 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I can't believe how sharp this squirrel is, it must be a really good lens. I bet I could post a pixel peeper showing it is just as good as the Zeiss.

I am wondering… though what kind of lw/ph does this lens achieve compared to other lenses tested in the same lab? A test from one lab is pretty much useless, if you have nothing to compare it to, and lw/ph varies widely from test facility to test facility.
Which lens did you use for that shot Norm?
11-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #19
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
Dpreveiw and DXo have their test for the lens out now:

Lens reviews update: test data for the Zeiss Otus 1.4/55: Digital Photography Review

The results are simply stunning; this might well be the sharpest fast 35mm (or at least non-rangefinder 35mm) lens ever made. The designers at Zeiss really deserve some real accolades for the sharpness and lateral CA control they were able to get with this lens (regardless of the price it ended up being). One wonders whether something else (spherical aberration, longitudinal CA) has not been corrected as well in order to get these results.
Very impressive indeed. Makes that lens very tempting...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #20
Pentaxian

That's the A-400 bossa, not even an A*

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
More to the point, how could anyone confuse a squirrel with an owl?

Latin Definition for: otus, oti (ID: 29024) - Latin Dictionary and Grammar Resources - Latdict
Because they speak English, not Latin..like 100% of the world's population?
11-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That's the A-400 bossa, not even an A*

Because they speak English, not Latin..like 100% of the world's population?
Thanks
11-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #22
Pentaxian

OK, I've spent some time going through the whole Mpix thing at DxO, and as far as I can tell it's proprietary hooey. But, that's just a first impression. I really don't have time to investigate fully. Nor do I suspect it would be a worthwhile undertaking, simply because being proprietary, they aren't going to tell you how exactly it works and therefor, no one can check their results. Lw/ph, is really easy to understand, and you can look at the test images yourself and see if you come to the same conclusions. With DxO, I have no idea what they are doing. And no independent lab can confirm their results. They tell you what they think their results mean, and hope you'll take their word for it. Personally, I don't take anybody's word for anything. Especially not someone who is attempting to sell a product based on those results. It forces you to decide , snake oil salesman or scientific visionary. Most of us have met a lot more snake oil salesmen than scientific visionaries.
11-26-2013, 05:39 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Can you tame an Otus Zeiss?

For the ones with an interest how the Zeiss Otus may perform in the field, I tried it after dark in the field:

The blog article has some more of my feelings when using it:

-> Falk Lumo: Can you tame an Otus Zeiss?

11-26-2013, 06:12 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
2mm DOF, and manual focus. Well done.