Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-14-2013, 09:41 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Taking photos of subjects approaching the lens is something virtually no AF can do well.

Basically, the AF has to figure out the right object to focus on (in itself a challenge), determine the relative speed/movement between shots (assuming the photographer is shooting in burst mode), then prefocus the lens in front of the object in sync with the next shot, taking shutter lag into account.

What pro photographers do is not take a head on approaching shot, but shoot the subject moving partially sideways (which slows the relative z axis velocity component), and move the camera with the subject, to reduce the relative movement further still. This turns a difficult problem into a much simpler problem for the camera to work on. There are some who deliberately adjust the camera to slightly front focus, but I don't like that approach.

Once you figure out the right approach, it will work on any decent camera, and the K-5 is more than adequate.

Shots from the Sydney triahtlon, shot on K-5 with DA* 50-135:

Of course it is much easier at an angle, but the NEX 6 just handles it better. I don't think i could have taken these, with AF, with the 5N. The keeper rate on the K-5 would have been relatively low for the angled shot and probably 0 for 10 on the head on shot. I used to shoot dogs, MF, setting up a zone on the 5N. I got better results than with the K-5, unless I was almost perpendicular to the subject(at least a substantial angle). Again, you are a better photog than I am.

Head on

At an angle

10-14-2013, 10:19 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Of course it is much easier at an angle, but the NEX 6 just handles it better. I don't think i could have taken these, with AF, with the 5N. The keeper rate on the K-5 would have been relatively low for the angled shot and probably 0 for 10 on the head on shot. I used to shoot dogs, MF, setting up a zone on the 5N. I got better results than with the K-5, unless I was almost perpendicular to the subject(at least a substantial angle). Again, you are a better photog than I am.
Congratulations on those beautiful shots of your daughter.

I don't think I have been as lucky on my NEX6, so you are a better photog than me :-)

The NEX does have an advantage of nearly zero shutter lag, which is more important than burst rate for these types of shots. Of course, the NEX also has 10fps, but the buffer depth is too shallow, and the camera doesn't refocus in 10fps mode (it will in the slower burst mode, which is what I use).
10-14-2013, 10:46 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Congratulations on those beautiful shots of your daughter.

I don't think I have been as lucky on my NEX6, so you are a better photog than me :-)

The NEX does have an advantage of nearly zero shutter lag, which is more important than burst rate for these types of shots. Of course, the NEX also has 10fps, but the buffer depth is too shallow, and the camera doesn't refocus in 10fps mode (it will in the slower burst mode, which is what I use).
I agree that 10fps is worthless on the 6. 3fps is what I use as well. The 6 isn't perfect, but it is a step in the right direction for mirrorless. I suspect the A7 will address some of its shortcomings.
10-15-2013, 03:37 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul MaudDib Quote
At least it wasn't designed by Marc Newson...
Does Mark have a sight impaired sibling in the camera design game?

10-15-2013, 05:08 AM   #35
Banned

Original Poster
Here is the image of the Zeiss Sonnar 55mm f/1.8 FE lens for the A7-A7r

QuoteQuote:
This is likely the one prime most of you will buy along the A7-A7r camera! And according to our source it will cost 1100 Euro exactly! Yep, it’s quite a huge lens and you would expect a f/1.4 aperture for that. But the lens has been designed with one precise goal in mind. Deliver the best possible sharpness and contrast on all apertures and on the full image area. Sounds good!
Here is the image of the Zeiss Sonnar 55mm f/1.8 FE lens for the A7-A7r | Mirrorless Rumors

10-15-2013, 05:21 AM   #36
Veteran Member

looks like a really nice camera, unfortunately there's not body stabilization.
10-15-2013, 05:30 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
looks like a really nice camera, unfortunately there's not body stabilization.
Are the full specs out yet?

10-15-2013, 05:34 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Are the full specs out yet?
well, no, but the new lenses are said to have OSS, like prior E mount glass.
10-15-2013, 05:38 AM   #39
Dan
Pentaxian

It's beautiful!

I think that the camera looks great. Then again, I also like the looks of the K-01 and the K-3, so maybe I am easy to please. What I don't like (visually) are the blob-like cameras that lack character.

I can't believe how small this thing is. I have lots of full-frame Pentax-mount lenses, including the three Voigtlander APO-Lanthars which I know are sharp enough for full frame. The 31mm limited should also work well. It would nice to be able to use them on a full-frame camera. :-) On the other hand the short registration distance presents challenges for some lenses--including some very nice M-mount wide angles. Supposedly Sony has done something to the sensor to mitigate this problem. Ricoh has shown that this can be done with the M module for the GXR, which seems to have better corner sharpness than the Nex cameras (with the same lenses). It has something to do with the design of the microlenses. It will be interesting to see how the camera performs. This is really an exciting new camera. Let's hope that it doesn't disappoint!

Dan
10-15-2013, 06:41 AM   #40
Banned

Original Poster
Sony 36MP A7r with 24-70mm zoom

10-15-2013, 10:09 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What pro photographers do
Additional thanks for this info. This is basically what I've intuitively done in the past at times, but it helps to read a more technical explanation.. Especially because sometimes I don't adjust for this in time and miss the shots...

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Quote
I think that the camera looks great. Then again, I also like the looks of the K-01 and the K-3, so maybe I am easy to please.
Yeah I am not bothered by the look either but I wonder if it would be less comfortable to grip and use for durations.. That may just be me because all I've ever really used is the standard dslr designed cams.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Quote
The 31mm limited should also work well. It would nice to be able to use them on a full-frame camera. :-)
Somebody please inform me, but AF doesn't work with the PK to E adapter does it?
10-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #42
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Somebody please inform me, but AF doesn't work with the PK to E adapter does it?
Maybe Metabones will come out with one since there must be just as many using PK mount lenses as EF mount lenses with E mount cameras . The Metabones EF- E mount Smart Adapter III has AF .

QuoteQuote:
Metabones® introduces third-generation Smart Adapter™ for mounting EF and EF-S mount lenses on Sony NEX cameras. Smart Adapter™ III is now also compatible with the full-frame NEX camera VG900, with auto-crop support so that both full-frame and cropped lenses can be used without any configuration. This is not a Speed Booster™ but maximum aperture and focal length remain unchanged. It retains existing features such as a detachable AS-style quick release plate, chrome-plated brass for all mounting surfaces, EXIF, autofocus and image stabilization (IS) lens support. Since its advent in 2012, the Metabones® Smart Adapter™ has become an indispensable tool for the most demanding cinematographers and other professionals, and it has been continuously refined based on customer input. Smart Adapter™ III is available right now at US$399+applicable tax/duty from Metabones' distributors in many countries all over the world and the Metabones® online shop.
Metabones® - Metabones® Introduces Third-Generation Smart Adapter?

85mm F1.2 EF mount with Smart Adapter III on the full frame NEX-VG900 :
10-15-2013, 05:08 PM   #43
Banned

Original Poster
People is Australia will get to see the Sony event starting at 5PM local time instead of 1AM here on the east coast of America in less than six hours.
10-15-2013, 05:28 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Does Mark have a sight impaired sibling in the camera design game?
Soft target!
10-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
People is Australia will get to see the Sony event starting at 5PM local time instead of 1AM here on the east coast of America in less than six hours.
Please join us for a very special announcement. - YouTube
We'll look forward to that, but I'm guessing a fair number of US-based interested parties will be staying up late, or at least marking the event for early review. I'll bet you'll have it available before us, nonetheless.