Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
10-16-2013, 02:27 AM   #31

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
So you're unaware of ISO25 of the other brands? And the ultra quiet shutter of Canon?
Hmmm are you sure you're comparing like for like? The Nikon and Canon equivalent cameras have much noisier shutters, and usually require modified firmware for such low ISO. If you're comparing pro FF cameras to the K5 IIS APS-C (at twice the cost), that's an unfair statement to make.

10-16-2013, 02:27 AM   #32
Pentaxian

So you're unaware of ISO25 of the other brands?
Which? According to the advanced search features of dpreview, there are absolutely no digital camera with ISO 25, not even 50. There are a few with the "boosted range" including ISO 50, though.

QuoteQuote:
And the ultra quiet shutter of Canon?
Really, which one? Are you just trolling today?
10-16-2013, 02:28 AM   #33
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

If you want to read some more about the Sony's with first hands on impressions then Steve Huff has just posted some information.
10-16-2013, 02:31 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Well if you're into very low ISO's, then Pentax is not your brand any way. And if you're into a quiet shutter then Pentax isn't the way to go either.
Huh? The A7 only gets ISO 50 via an 'expanded ISO mode' software tweak, normal base ISO is 100. And if you are into quiet shutters, Sony NEX certainly isn't the way to go. My NEX's have all been much noiser than my K-5, and the bigger shutter on these A7's is going to make them even harder to silence.

10-16-2013, 02:34 AM   #35
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
And if you are into quiet shutters, Sony NEX certainly isn't the way to go. My NEX's have all been much noiser than my K-5, and the bigger shutter on these A7's is going to make them even harder to silence.
Steve Huff in his article states the shutter on this new Sony is quite noisy
10-16-2013, 02:44 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Huh? The A7 only gets ISO 50 via an 'expanded ISO mode' software tweak, normal base ISO is 100. And if you are into quiet shutters, Sony NEX certainly isn't the way to go. My NEX's have all been much noiser than my K-5, and the bigger shutter on these A7's is going to make them even harder to silence.
I was saying (third time now) that a noisy shutter isn't such a big deal. I was not claiming the shutter on Sony isn't noisy. And yes, I did use different firmware to get ISO25 capability on Canon. It works and Pentax doesn't have that option.

Last edited by Clavius; 10-16-2013 at 02:52 AM.
10-16-2013, 02:44 AM   #37
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
What's that N-like logo below the wifi sign on the side of the camera? I first thought it was a Nespresso logo, but I'm not sure if they managed to integrate a coffee maker in such a tiny camera!
All joking aside, I suspect it refers to the 'Near Field Communication' - but don't know for sure

10-16-2013, 02:59 AM - 1 Like   #38
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

have a 15 minute field test. Shutter is loud . Nice looking camera in the hand.
10-16-2013, 03:01 AM   #39
Veteran Member

I did use different firmware to get ISO25 capability on Canon
I'm guessing Magic Lantern firmware hack is what you used then. ISO 25 doesn't seem to be an official Canon option on anything.

And Magic Lantern isn't available on Sony ...
10-16-2013, 03:07 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Though these cameras are not perfect, especially for the pros who want speed, speed, speed, they look absolutely ideal for using with old manual lenses. I'd love to get an A7, K and M42 adapters and I'd be a very, very happy bunny.
10-16-2013, 03:09 AM   #41
Pentaxian

I'm guessing Magic Lantern firmware hack is what you used then. ISO 25 doesn't seem to be an official Canon option on anything.
Does that hack do anything that ISO80 with +1.7 EV comp on a K-5 wouldn't do? (My K-5 is usually set to ISO 80 and -0.3 or -0.7, btw)

EDIT: I first wrote -1.7, corrected to +1.7. Btw. if anything I guess a K-5 might have less highlights raw headroom but more shadow raw headroom, so it might make less sense on a K-5 than on a Canon.

Last edited by gazonk; 10-16-2013 at 04:02 AM.
10-16-2013, 04:12 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What a great bit of fun!

Of course, all the Pentax lenses used on these Sony cameras with the adapters lack any electrical or mechanical linkage, so have to be used in full manual mode only, but it's still going to be great fun for some people, though hardly a serious solution for Full Frame Fans.

I think the FFFs will want the other things usually associated with Pro level equipment, like all the various accessories and options, and a large degree of ruggedness.

The Sony cameras look a bit too delicate for heavy pro type use, surely!

Graham.
10-16-2013, 04:24 AM   #43
Veteran Member

I'm a bit underwhelmed by these cameras 2BH.
10-16-2013, 04:27 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow... I didn't want to say this, but... this new FF camera from Sony blew Pentax/Ricoh away... With the fantastic price and endless adapters for any lens mount from any company and giving you a full frame sensor, it really is a winner for photographers who are not into super-high-speed-"machine-gun-like"-shooting...
This camera really turns my head...
10-16-2013, 04:46 AM   #45
Pentaxian

I look forward to all the PF members with severe CBA buying these bodies as soon as they can and providing lots of high res images to help us evaluate the feasibility of the FA limiteds, DA limiteds and other lenses on FF.