Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
10-16-2013, 06:17 AM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I ordered an A7 today. I shoot non-stabilized all the time and have for over 50 years - a non-issue for me. But for my old lens collection (Leica, Pentax, Leica-R, Canon FD, Nikon F, Minolta, etc.) this looks very promising.

10-16-2013, 06:19 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
here have some photos to the internal...????????Sony A7/A7R?? RX10????? (?1?) - Sony???? - Mobile01

I think the electronics inside is amazingly..... simple?
10-16-2013, 06:24 AM   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
I'll never buy into an optically stabilized system. What's the purpose of compact body with huge lenses? Wouldn't a few extra mm in the body be worth having a stabilized 43mm limited?
Not all stabilized NEX lenses are huge, the 16-50 is crazy tiny. Not a very good lens, but one that makes the NEX cameras virtually pocketable with a standard zoom.

The FE (E-mount FF) lenses look large, though, with the exception of the 35mm/2.8, which makes the A7 a really compact walkaround and street camera. But that lens has no OSS...
10-16-2013, 06:40 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Crop DSLR days are numbered. I wish this wasn't the case since I mostly love Pentax but... it's beyond obvious now.

The Pentax competitive advantage of small bodies/lenses for APS-C is getting weaker and weaker IMO. If you're looking into starting a system from scratch, Pentax is looking less viable than it did when the K5 originally came out.

Having said all of that, I think it's plain silly for existing users to switch right now. My opinion is that these users are biased more towards the equipment end of this hobby as opposed to the artistic output it's supposed to provide. Keep your Pentax stuff. The image quality is fantastic and things may get interesting with Ricoh steering the ship. I hope so, because third place in the camera industry is relentlessly competitive. They have lots of work to do.

10-16-2013, 06:43 AM   #65
Veteran Member

This would probably be my camera of choice if I had spare $2K
10-16-2013, 06:49 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Camera Store TV have a 15 minute field test. Shutter is loud . Nice looking camera in the hand.
It appears that Metabone have adapter to allow AF in the nex for Canon lenses? wow!
Can a similar adapter made for PENTAX K-mount???
10-16-2013, 06:50 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Everyone here worries about the impact of these new cams on Pentax, but I think the impact on Nikon and Canon will be very substantial too. (Providing these cameras perform well and aren't garbage).

10-16-2013, 06:50 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy75 Quote
Crop DSLR days are numbered. I wish this wasn't the case since I mostly love Pentax but... it's beyond obvious now.

The Pentax competitive advantage of small bodies/lenses for APS-C is getting weaker and weaker IMO. If you're looking into starting a system from scratch, Pentax is looking less viable than it did when the K5 originally came out.

Having said all of that, I think it's plain silly for existing users to switch right now. My opinion is that these users are biased more towards the equipment end of this hobby as opposed to the artistic output it's supposed to provide. Keep your Pentax stuff. The image quality is fantastic and things may get interesting with Ricoh steering the ship. I hope so, because third place in the camera industry is relentlessly competitive. They have lots of work to do.

Nah, "crops" are fine, it's the "SLR" part that's numbered. The reason mirror less is diversifying so rapidly is the barrier to entry is low due to engineering and manufacturing costs. It's also why it will maintain a diversity of formats in a way SLR's don't.
10-16-2013, 06:56 AM   #69
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
I ordered an A7 today. I shoot non-stabilized all the time and have for over 50 years - a non-issue for me. But for my old lens collection (Leica, Pentax, Leica-R, Canon FD, Nikon F, Minolta, etc.) this looks very promising.
My first SLR was the Canon Pellix QL w/58mm F1.2 when I was 19 in 1966 and using digital today is a piece of cake. I still have my Pentax 6x7 system that I first got into in 1974 and even the 67 lenses would work using my 67-K & PK-NEX adapter combo if I wanted on my full frame Sony NEX-VG900 with E mount.
10-16-2013, 07:07 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
here have some photos to the internal...????????Sony A7/A7R?? RX10????? (?1?) - Sony???? - Mobile01

I think the electronics inside is amazingly..... simple?
Well you know what they say: all genius is simple.
10-16-2013, 07:22 AM   #71
Veteran Member

After my first blush of excitement + camera lust + regret for buying a D600, I come back to earth: we don't know just how well the EVF works across a variety of (normal) conditions: in the dark, in the cold, in the damp, over time. I have a feeling we're not quite there yet with EVF.

The package and price is extremely alluring however; I could see being more than satisfied with an APS-C SLR + one of these Sonys. My lens collection would certainly feel pleased.
10-16-2013, 07:25 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
Congrats, I wish I could afford one at the moment, but the county wants their property tax money.
10-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Query about focus assist with non native manual lenses
Specs say:
"Manual Focus Assist : 35mm full frame: 7.2x, 14.4x APS-C: 4.7x, 9.4x"

Does that mean it is just a zoom focus assist with no focus confirmation?
10-16-2013, 07:46 AM   #74
Veteran Member

I'm just thinking I want to paint it chrome and write "Asahi Pentax" on the prism hump, then I can have my digital ME Super and use it too!
10-16-2013, 08:00 AM   #75
Veteran Member

Question to anyone that might have insight: I have no experience with Nikon so I'm not sure if Takumar lenses are adaptable to a camera like the D800... but I was wondering if using said lenses on a 36 megapixel camera like the A7r would "show their age" more than a lower megapixel sensor?

The idea of using the Takumar lenses and getting similar results to the 35mm film era is appealing... but I'm not sure if such expectations are reasonable when all modern factors are taken into account.