Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #91
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
If I can get good IQ from K-mount lenses set manually, and the camera resolution and dynamic range equal the D800E, I will buy an A7r unless Pentax announces an equally good full frame soon.
I think it's too early to say, but chances are the IQ will be comparable.

There's no doubt that the D800 is more durable than either of these new cameras, but it also weighs 2.5x as much. Its a trade-off for sure.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-16-2013, 01:22 PM   #92
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Ewwww, no dedicated battery charger. need to charge the camera through usb. what the heck is that nonsense?
There's no external charger included, but you can buy one. Kinda lame, I agree, but you can get one.

I have to say, I'm pretty intrigued by these cameras. I'd love to get a hold of one and see what they feel like - and how that EVF looks - for myself.

I'm fully satisfied with my K-5 IIs but, if the Sony's as solid as it sounds, I'd consider getting this and a bunch of adapters if/when I replace it.
10-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #93
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
That depends. I want full frame for tripod-mounted landscape and still-life shooting. All manual is no problem. I would use the viewfinder only when light was too bright to use the rear screen.
And that of course is the issue... the K-3 is clearly a better choice for sports and moving objects, improved AF- 8 FPS, larger subject size for a given focal length,... having just used an M lens for one of the competitions, really for landscapes it's not that bad. With a built in aperture, I'd actually be ahead of the game compared. I want an FF for land scape period. I love the concept, I hate the price... $3k more by the time you have an adapter. You can find refurbed D800s for $2200.

I'd love to be able to get something like a K-01 FF at a low price. This without it's EVF, could be even cheaper.
10-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #94
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ewwww, no dedicated battery charger. need to charge the camera through usb. what the heck is that nonsense?

The Camera Store also said while they feel good, they don't feel as durable as they should, wouldn't trust the sealing/construction as much as a D800 for example.

But that charging thing... wow, Sony... what were you thinking?
Not likely a dealbreaker.

A lot of people will simply charge it overnight, And the more demanding crowd will buy several batteries and chargers.

I dont mind at all. But then I have yet to shoot over 100 images in a day. And I carry spare batteries anyhow.

10-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #95
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alan_smithee_photos Quote
There's no external charger included, but you can buy one. Kinda lame, I agree, but you can get one.

I have to say, I'm pretty intrigued by these cameras. I'd love to get a hold of one and see what they feel like - and how that EVF looks - for myself.

I'm fully satisfied with my K-5 IIs but, if the Sony's as solid as it sounds, I'd consider getting this and a bunch of adapters if/when I replace it.
Exactly where I'm at Alan, With my K-5IIs.

Very interested in the New Sony's.
10-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #96
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

The Camera Store also said while they feel good, they don't feel as durable as they should, wouldn't trust the sealing/construction as much as a D800 for example.

But that charging thing... wow, Sony... what were you thinking?
Supposedly there is an EU legislation limiting/banning/fining the use of customized battery chargers. These things end up in landfills. Charging through a standard USB cable gets around this regulation. Buy a Wasabi battery charger and 2 batteries; it will cost less than $30.

The A7 has some plastic in the body, the A7R is more solid, but I'm not expecting D800 quality.

Another nice thing about this camera is the grip. It's so big that it will make large lenses very usable. However, the battery life is so abysmal that they should have made the grip accept 2 batteries.
10-16-2013, 02:12 PM   #97
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
"I think that both of these cameras will be winners: though they lack an OVF, the price (and surely performance) will be extremely competitive compared to what the D600 and D800 have to offer. Plus, with the proper adapter (Voigtlander Adapter for Pentax K Lens to Sony E Mount BD222S B&H or Novoflex Adapter for Pentax K Lens to Sony NEX Camera NEX/PENT) you can use all your Pentax lenses with either of these cameras!"

There is absolutely no need whatsoever to be spend $200-300 on a PK/K to E adapter. There are many on the market for well under $50.

Jason
Indeed, there are cheaper ones. But you get what you pay for. I will personally probably go for the novoflex one as I don't want my precious K-mount lenses to accidentally fall off the mount Maybe I'm just being overly-cautious, but hey.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-16-2013, 02:21 PM   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Indeed, there are cheaper ones. But you get what you pay for. I will personally probably go for the novoflex one as I don't want my precious K-mount lenses to accidentally fall off the mount Maybe I'm just being overly-cautious, but hey.
I have never had that fear. I would be more concerned with light leaks, scuffing the lens mount or the mount being properly setup for infinity focus.
10-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
the A7R is more solid, but I'm not expecting D800 quality.
Some of the reviews compare the A7r to the D800, and one Sony rep poured water over the body.

the battery life is so abysmal that they should have made the grip accept 2 batteries.
It seems pretty low, but this isn't a spray and pray kind of camera. With 36MP you are going to be changing memory cards and batteries. Shooting a lot of film at events I keep my shot count down pretty low anyway. This is a camera for a very deliberate shooter.
10-16-2013, 03:45 PM   #100
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Some of the reviews compare the A7r to the D800, and one Sony rep poured water over the body.

It seems pretty low, but this isn't a spray and pray kind of camera. With 36MP you are going to be changing memory cards and batteries. Shooting a lot of film at events I keep my shot count down pretty low anyway. This is a camera for a very deliberate shooter.
I am wondering if all thosee Zeiss lenses are now sealed as well, otherwise that doesn't do much good. I've never had reason to complain about the build quality of Sony's higher end cameras. The RX100 and RX1 are solid. This camera is built like those with seals.

I have a NEX 6, and I can usually shoot all day with the battery(it's the same one), but for many people that's not enough. I usually carry an extra battery with me, and they are tiny, just in case. Still, for many Pros, they want to be able to shoot 500-900 on a single battery. I wonder how this will affect video guys, but all I'm saying is the battery grip is big enough that they could have allowed two batteries and made everyone happy.

Last edited by kenafein; 10-16-2013 at 11:48 PM.
10-16-2013, 05:44 PM   #101
Veteran Member

I am wondering if all thosee Zeiss lenses are now sealed as well, otherwise that doesn't do much good. I've never had reason to comlain for the build quality of Sony's higher end cameras. The RX100 and RX1 are solid. This camera is built like those with seals.

I have a NEX 6, and I can usually shoot all day with the battery(it's the same one), but for many people that's not enough. I usually carry an extra battery with me, and they are tiny, just in case. Still, for many Pros, they want to be able to shoot 500-900 on a single battery. I wonder how this will affect video guys, but all I'm saying is the battery grip is big enough that they could have allowed two batteries and made everyone happy.
I can see people who spend weeks on expeditions to remote areas needing really good battery life, but this isn't really the camera for them to begin with. The vast majority of the people who will buy this camera spend the vast majority of their lives with in a few feet of an electrical outlet. The idea that their $2,600 digital camera only gets 340 shots on a single charge is the perfect "1st world problems" MEME.

The A7r is 36MP at 14-bits and is processing those 70+MB files at 4 fps. How big and fast is the NEX-6? The processing load of the A7r is how many times greater? Who wants to do the math?

Yes, all the new Zeiss FE lenses are weather sealed.
10-16-2013, 06:01 PM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I can see people who spend weeks on expeditions to remote areas needing really good battery life, but this isn't really the camera for them to begin with. The vast majority of the people who will buy this camera spend the vast majority of their lives with in a few feet of an electrical outlet. The idea that their $2,600 digital camera only gets 340 shots on a single charge is the perfect "1st world problems" MEME.

The A7r is 36MP at 14-bits and is processing those 70+MB files at 4 fps. How big and fast is the NEX-6? The processing load of the A7r is how many times greater? Who wants to do the math?

Yes, all the new Zeiss FE lenses are weather sealed.
I don't film or shoot pro events with my NEX. It's a great little pocket camera, and I walked around LA all day on a single battery. It's not really a problem for me, but, were I a pro, I might want something that would last me a whole wedding. You're right, first world problems, and it wouldn't stop me from buying the camera. I could stick a dozen of those batteries in a pocket, they are that small. You can also do things to save battery life like turning off the back LCD. I imagine if they'd put in a bigger battery people would complain that the grip was too big, but I really think the battery grip is big enough to fit two batteries, as I said, they are small, so why not?.

The NEX 6 works out fine, for what I use it for, but I expect the A7 to be a huge improvement. Setting it at AF-C w/ 3FPS, the buffer is pretty adequate, unless you're a spray and prayer. 10FPS is for show only. The buffer actually fills up after 9 raws.

They really should advertise the weather sealing on those Zeiss lenses, it makes the price much more palatable. Already, that 24-70/2.8 w/ OSS is a great price, but I was suspect of the primes.

Last edited by kenafein; 10-16-2013 at 06:52 PM.
10-16-2013, 08:20 PM   #103

What a dilemma!

These look super-awesome! I imagine this stole Pentax's thunder as this is what I thought Pentax would do for a full-frame camera: compact mirrorless with built-in EVF and weather-sealed body, using a Sony sensor of-course!

Well, they still can do better if they manage to build one with all that plus Shake-Reduction and make it freezeproof more sturdy by fixing the LCD. Who knows, maybe they can pull off even more and make it waterproof like the Nikon AW1

Now the dilemma for me is weather to get a K-3 or one these Sony ones. I have beautiful Pentax lenses but also a premium collection of Minolta lenses which have not seen much use in since the KM 7D. Only brielfy used them with the Sony SLT-A77. The Pentax handling is absolutely perfect but saving weight and bulk is very tempting, particularly when not doing pro work.

- Itai
10-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #104

I'll get this if the EVF is good and reviews of final product are good. If I have Minolta lenses, I'll definitely get this.

This is the kind of camera that I thought Pentax would make as well. When I got the K-5, I thought that should have been a FF camera, and I wouldn't order any more Pentax until it's a FF, or if someone else come up with a small FF, I'll leave Pentax. I tried my friends' Canon FFs, and they always seems too big and bulky though their performance is miles better than Pentax; I'm not a pro.

I'm sure Pentax will release a FF next year. For Pentax, FF is always coming next year.
10-16-2013, 09:41 PM   #105
Veteran Member

However, the battery life is so abysmal that they should have made the grip accept 2 batteries.
The grip does accept 2 batteries... but you cant have one in the camera at the same time...