Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2013, 12:31 AM   #16
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
You really think Pentax can do FF at Sony's price?
Yes of course - they already have the body and all other specs sorted with the K3 at USD$1,300. So the extra is the additional amount for the Sony FF chip, some additional buffer capacity, and some firmware development.

Let us guess that the chip is no more than USD$300 per unit. Maybe USD$100 buffer hardware enhancements (for much larger file sizes). If we allow (generously) USD $300 per unit for changes to firmware, processor chip and optimisation...then that pulls you up at USD$2000.

So if Ricoh put the K3F out at the same price as the new Sony $2,300 then I reckon they would be pretty happy with the margins and profitability per unit.

I am sure they can do the math...

With a K3F with a 36MP FF sensor they would be completely back in the DSLR game with a very compelling product lineup covering all segments

10-16-2013, 12:41 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
"I think that both of these cameras will be winners: though they lack an OVF, the price (and surely performance) will be extremely competitive compared to what the D600 and D800 have to offer. Plus, with the proper adapter (Voigtlander Adapter for Pentax K Lens to Sony E Mount BD222S B&H or Novoflex Adapter for Pentax K Lens to Sony NEX Camera NEX/PENT) you can use all your Pentax lenses with either of these cameras!"

There is absolutely no need whatsoever to be spend $200-300 on a PK/K to E adapter. There are many on the market for well under $50.

Jason
True, but I think people that prefer FF+OVF will already have one of the many many options from Canon or Nikon. This Sony A7(r) is clearly focussed on the users that prefer the EVF and/or the other benefits of mirrorless systems.
10-16-2013, 12:44 AM   #18
Veteran Member

My comment was about the adapters really.

Jason
10-16-2013, 12:50 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
People are calling this the first FF mirrorless- it certainly is not
OTOH, it certainly is the first FF Autofocus Mirrorless!

10-16-2013, 12:52 AM   #20
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

True, but I think people that prefer FF+OVF will already have one of the many many options from Canon or Nikon. This Sony A7(r) is clearly focussed on the users that prefer the EVF and/or the other benefits of mirrorless systems.
I think these cameras are going to lay down a huge challenge in the mirrorless segment - and also pose an interesting challenge to DSLR's.

The combination of FF, high IQ, small size may prove to be compelling for many people.
10-16-2013, 01:32 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
I think these cameras are going to lay down a huge challenge in the mirrorless segment - and also pose an interesting challenge to DSLR's.

The combination of FF, high IQ, small size may prove to be compelling for many people.
Certainly a turning point in what is available and at what price.

I don't like the starting ISO of 200 and I don't like the frame rates and noisy shutter but I suspect many Pentaxians (who have been longing to try their FA limiteds and Tak's on a FF camera) will overlook that and be buying ASAP.

Pentax may well be cut off from a FF market, via supplying existing K-Mount owners, if they don't make an announcement within a few weeks.
10-16-2013, 01:41 AM   #22
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Pentax may well be cut off from a FF market, via supplying existing K-Mount owners, if they don't make an announcement within a few weeks.
It is certainly interesting times for Pentax

10-16-2013, 01:49 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
It is certainly interesting times for Pentax
Oops! I should have said Ricoh there instead of Pentax.
10-16-2013, 01:59 AM   #24
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Oops! I should have said Ricoh there instead of Pentax.
It takes a bit of getting used to...but you are right.....Ricoh
10-16-2013, 02:03 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I don't like the starting ISO of 200 and I don't like the frame rates and noisy shutter but I suspect many Pentaxians (who have been longing to try their FA limiteds and Tak's on a FF camera) will overlook that and be buying ASAP.

Well if you're into very low ISO's, then Pentax is not your brand any way. And if you're into a quiet shutter then Pentax isn't the way to go either.
10-16-2013, 02:14 AM   #26

Well if you're into very low ISO's, then Pentax is not your brand any way. And if you're into a quiet shutter then Pentax isn't the way to go either.
Not following you? My K5 IIS is usually set to ISO 80, can't imagine wanting lower, and the shutter is so quiet it actually poses a problem when using wireless triggers, I can never be sure it's actually fired. Certainly much quieter than any other brand I've seen to date.
10-16-2013, 02:17 AM   #27
Veteran Member

The shutter on my K-5 sounds like silk compared to the clackety garden gate that is the shutter of my D800e.
10-16-2013, 02:20 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Darrell Raw Quote
Not following you? My K5 IIS is usually set to ISO 80, can't imagine wanting lower, and the shutter is so quiet it actually poses a problem when using wireless triggers, I can never be sure it's actually fired. Certainly much quieter than any other brand I've seen to date.
So you're unaware of ISO25 of the other brands? And the ultra quiet shutter of Canon?

Just saying, ISO 200 of the 7r is not such a drawback. And the noisy shutter comes in quite handy when using wireless triggers.
10-16-2013, 02:23 AM   #29
Pentaxian

What's that N-like logo below the wifi sign on the side of the camera? I first thought it was a Nespresso logo, but I'm not sure if they managed to integrate a coffee maker in such a tiny camera!
10-16-2013, 02:24 AM   #30

What functionality do you loose with a lens adapter?
I don't want one of these btw, optical view finders are what it's all about and who the heck needs 36 MP?