Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
10-16-2013, 04:50 AM   #46

Photos: Gallery
I think this has put an end to all Ricoh FF dreams ... (at least for me, just cancelled the K3 preorder)

10-16-2013, 05:00 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by infoomatic Quote
I think this has put an end to all Ricoh FF dreams ... (at least for me, just cancelled the K3 preorder)
Really? Why? That there would be an FF NEX was a given - what in this announcement has convinced you?

It remains to see how good these cameras are. One thing's for sure: The lenses are very, very expensive. The 55mm 1.8 costs almost $1000. Granted, the Pentax DFA645 55mm 2.8 costs 20% more, but that lens covers 645 full frame....

(I'm surprised the E-mount 50mm 1.8 wasn't made to cover FF to begin with.)
10-16-2013, 05:32 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Is there any reason to suspect that native lens WA and UWA edges will not be very good for the camera?
The lenses for it seem either longer (widest is 24-70/4; even 50mm is a 55mm) or slower (ir. f4; f2.8 for a 35mm and f1.8 for a 55mm) while costing quite a bit.

I've found samples on cameraegg, but the widest is also 24mm (distagon T* @f11), but that looked alright, though I don't think its full res.

Nice option for manual lenses though, and IIRC, the WA edge issues were ok for adapted lenses.
10-16-2013, 05:33 AM   #49

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Really? Why? That there would be an FF NEX was a given - what in this announcement has convinced you?
the right sensor size at the right time. I have been waiting for a Pentax FF for years. However, I don't think they will ever come up with one, so I decided to add (or switch slowly) to a FF system. I am not a fan of mirrorless, but imaging that my FA Limited lenses would be usable as they were intended to (31mm as 31mm and not as a "normal lens") is really really nice. Their pixie dust on aps-c is just not the same as on FF. So the money of the K3 + 15mm limited will now be transferred to Sony for the cheaper FF mirrorless + adapter where I can use my FA* 24mm instead.
The rest ... still researching whether to go Nikon or Canon, though leaning towards Nikon, but as you can imagine Sony just got a chance for sticking with them. Two systems does not make sense for me.
Small part of my income comes from trips/travel reports, but most of it from weddings/concerts where 24-135mm on a FF cam makes absolutely sense, so next summer is my last apsc season for weddings.

Last edited by infoomatic; 10-16-2013 at 05:34 AM. Reason: typo
10-16-2013, 05:37 AM   #50
Veteran Member

The sensors in these cameras have special micro-lenses (which affect the light differently the further from the optical axis they are) designed to compensate for the proximity of the rear elements to the image plane, so I'm not sure how lenses like the Limiteds would fare because of this.
10-16-2013, 05:38 AM   #51
Veteran Member

the right sensor size at the right time. I have been waiting for a Pentax FF for years. However, I don't think they will ever come up with one, so I decided to add (or switch slowly) to a FF system. I am not a fan of mirrorless, but imaging that my FA Limited lenses would be usable as they were intended to (31mm as 31mm and not as a "normal lens") is really really nice. Their pixie dust on aps-c is just not the same as on FF. So the money of the K3 + 15mm limited will now be transferred to Sony for the cheaper FF mirrorless + adapter where I can use my FA* 24mm instead.
The rest ... still researching whether to go Nikon or Canon, though leaning towards Nikon, but as you can imagine Sony just got a chance for sticking with them. Two systems does not make sense for me.
Small part of my income comes from trips/travel reports, but most of it from weddings/concerts where 24-135mm on a FF cam makes absolutely sense, so next summer is my last apsc season for weddings.
These cameras may force an announcement out of Ricoh sooner than you think.
10-16-2013, 05:40 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sold all my Pentax gear moving over to the A7. Will use adapter for Canon glass as this can still autofocus.

I have no loyalty to brands, I just want the best bang for bux and this is where it is at now.

10-16-2013, 05:42 AM   #53
Pentaxian

However, I don't think they will ever come up with one, so I decided to add (or switch slowly) to a FF system.
My impression is that it is almost certain that there will be a full frame from Pentax, with a possible release already in a year, I don't know why you think they'll never come up with one.

But I have to admit that if I had (allowed myself) a very generous gear acquisition budget, I'd be very tempted to try the A7r. If I lost interest, it could stay in the family since my daughters both use NEX (7 and 6) :-)

My daughter has a cheap fotodiox adapter with aperture control, it works fine with my DA lenses. Would have been fun to try them on FF!
10-16-2013, 05:49 AM   #54

It is important to note that you cannot take advantage of any electronic features between lens and camera, so there fore, it is just a stretch at best.

You can get adapters that mount K lenses to any camera. and they will work as long as the camera has in body stabilization ... ie. Olympus, Sony etc. , and in saying that, you can just bump up the ISO on full frame and increase the shutter speed and voilą... lenses will work on the cameras without stabilization... ie. Canon, Nikon etc.

So, I just don't see why this is of any importance at all in the way of announcements.

Also, the adapters you posted are just glorified hunks of metal that can be had on eBay for a fraction of the price.

Let's just wait for a true Pentax FF ... which, if Ricoh has any brains at all, will produce.

PS. I have a K30 & K5-IIs and will not buy Pentax again unless it is FF.... So, Nice try Ricoh with the K3... but, No Thanks.
10-16-2013, 05:51 AM   #55
Banned

Last year at this time I gave up waiting for a full frame Pentax and purchased the full frame Sony NEX-VG900 that works great with all of my Pentax lenses and have had more fun with it than any camera I ever had. I prefer it over the new A7 since I like the adjustable OLED EVF and both still jpeg/RAW settings (30-1/8000) and movie settings (1/48-1/10000sec 1/60-1/10000sec 1/3-1/10000sec 1/4-1/10000sec) in a camcorder body with 5.1 surround mic.
10-16-2013, 05:55 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
My impression is that it is almost certain that there will be a full frame from Pentax, with a possible release already in a year, I don't know why you think they'll never come up with one.

But I have to admit that if I had (allowed myself) a very generous gear acquisition budget, I'd be very tempted to try the A7r. If I lost interest, it could stay in the family since my daughters both use NEX (7 and 6) :-)

My daughter has a cheap fotodiox adapter with aperture control, it works fine with my DA lenses. Would have been fun to try them on FF!
I hope these Sony are the game changer - and making FF sensor a common.
Certainly hope it force PENTAX to produce one FF camera - I will make the pre-order.

Would love to see sample and review of using Pentax glass on these Sony.
10-16-2013, 06:03 AM   #57
Veteran Member

With a case full of nice -M lenses, I have 2 issues that cause hesitation.
1. Can the adaptor hold the lenses parallel and on register to less than say, 10 micrometre, considering tolerances and flex, etc
2. No in body shake reduction.
10-16-2013, 06:08 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
With a case full of nice -M lenses, I have 2 issues that cause hesitation.
1. Can the adaptor hold the lenses parallel and on register to less than say, 10 micrometre, considering tolerances and flex, etc
2. No in body shake reduction.
The first of many FF mirrorless to come (yes, I know there's the leica, not the same thing). Bravo sony for paving the way We know this is coming since the day nex came out, and finally it's here!

Will A to E to K really work? I wonder if it will introduce vignetting? I'm sure A to K will be made in no time though. Will be a blast using M42s on these.
10-16-2013, 06:08 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'll never buy into an optically stabilized system. What's the purpose of compact body with huge lenses? Wouldn't a few extra mm in the body be worth having a stabilized 43mm limited?
10-16-2013, 06:14 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Wow, the A7 is lighter than the Pentax MX, and same weight as the Ricoh KR-5 which I use for travel