Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2013, 01:22 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As a non-Sony shooter, and definitely someone on the outside of "Sony", I am totally confused by how many cameras they make.
It's so confusing that I won't even take the time to educate myself on their system or cameras.

I'm only here because of the hype that is ALL over the net and here.

Ok, so after a little education - yup - still very confusing as to who Sony cameras are aimed at?
Their price points, their features? LOTS of questions and something obvious.

Sony should have kept the Minolta name on the front of the cameras that were derived from Minolta tech, and made "Sony" cameras a different brand.

After looking things over, and with so many changes that come in the Sony camera lines, there is no way I would ever "invest" in Sony, as it would be too confusing and risky as Sony moves around too much and with too many features.

10-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now you're confusing me... FE is a new mount, I assume not entirely compatible with E mount lenses, is it not?
10-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
As a non-Sony shooter, and definitely someone on the outside of "Sony", I am totally confused by how many cameras they make.
It's so confusing that I won't even take the time to educate myself on their system or cameras.

I'm only here because of the hype that is ALL over the net and here.

Ok, so after a little education - yup - still very confusing as to who Sony cameras are aimed at?
Their price points, their features? LOTS of questions and something obvious.

Sony should have kept the Minolta name on the front of the cameras that were derived from Minolta tech, and made "Sony" cameras a different brand.

After looking things over, and with so many changes that come in the Sony camera lines, there is no way I would ever "invest" in Sony, as it would be too confusing and risky as Sony moves around too much and with too many features.
The major advantage of the NEX platform for me is the size and weight. Going back to NEX from a DSLR is like putting down an iPad and picking up an iPhone - the functionality is the same, but you're immediately aware of how tiny the package is. It's discrete, it's lightweight, it's cost effective and it most importantly there is no compromise on image quality.

Having done travel photography with the NEX system, it makes photography fun. DSLRs are just too big / in your face for me.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Now you're confusing me... FE is a new mount, I assume not entirely compatible with E mount lenses, is it not?
You can mount E mount lenses on it including APS-C E mount lenses. The camera can then be set into a crop mode to accommodate for the reduced image circle. It makes it nice and simple for existing NEX lens owners to transition to a full-frame system.
10-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #19
Banned

Original Poster
There is no new mount, it's the same E mount that is on all of their NEX cameras. The first E mount camera with full frame sensor was the Sony NEX-VG900 and full frame E mount lenses for it have been out for the last year.
Lenses | B&H Photo Video

10-16-2013, 01:43 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Big G Quote

You can mount E mount lenses on it including APS-C E mount lenses. The camera can then be set into a crop mode to accommodate for the reduced image circle. It makes it nice and simple for existing NEX lens owners to transition to a full-frame system.
Using a dedicated crop camera gives you higher resolution than using an FF camera in crop mode. So a bit of a non-starter here.
10-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Using a dedicated crop camera gives you higher resolution than using an FF camera in crop mode. So a bit of a non-starter here.
Why is it a non-starter? They're effectively giving you a crop compatibility mode for free and the ability to use existing APS-C NEX lenses at 15 megapixels on the 7r. I don't see how that can be anything short of excellent and a welcome bonus to crop system users to make the upgrade process smooth. Keep in mind the only crop camera to give more than 15 megapixels is the NEX7.
10-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #22
Banned

Original Poster
APS-C crop mode on the 36MP A7r would have the same 16MP or more as on the APS-C NEX-6.

10-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #23
Pentaxian

16 MP on APS-c is old news.... actually 24 MP on FF is pretty much old news as well, given that it only gets you a very slight increase in resolution over APS-c. I won't carry a camera body for either of those.
10-16-2013, 02:03 PM   #24
Banned

Original Poster
Samyang announces five full frame E-mount lenses

QuoteQuote:
Samyang informs about the release of a new series of Samyang lenses for Sony E mount.

Within two months Samyang lenses, appreciated by both of professionals and amateur photographers, will be also available with Sony E-mount. High quality optics, that makes Korean products famous across the world, will please not only DSLR cameras owners, but also users of Sony NEX and Alpha family. Series will be available with the following focal lengths:

Samyang 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC
Samyang 24mm f/1.4 ED AS IF UMC
Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC
Samyang 35mm f/1.4 AS UMC
Samyang 85mm f/1.4 AS IF UMC
All lenses guarantee high quality image with simultaneously high aperture. Use of lenses made of special optical glass along with aspherical elements allow to effectively eliminate optical defects, together with care of the highest performance.

Samyang Sony E-mount series will allow all Sony NEX owners to fully experience high quality optics without additional adapters. Giving the fact, that lenses are prepared for 35mm format, they will perfectly work with not only APS-C cameras, such as Sony NEX 7, but also with the newest Sony Alpha 7R and Sony Alpha 7.
Samyang announces five full frame E-mount lenses: Digital Photography Review
10-16-2013, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

16 MP on APS-c is old news.... actually 24 MP on FF is pretty much old news as well, given that it only gets you a very slight increase in resolution over APS-c. I won't carry a camera body for either of those.
I don't think you're getting it into your head.

For existing NEX-5 (14 MP) or NEX-6 (16 MP), then can go out and jump to full-frame *right now* and use their existing lenses whilst they decide which full-frame lenses to buy when they become available. A lot of the pain of moving to FF is the selling off disused lenses to fund the move, now you don't have to sell all your glass - you can keep one or two (perhaps the Zeiss 24 f/1.8, or the 50mm SEL f/1.8) whilst you pickup the A7r and the 24-70mm. Who knows, it's a nice option to have.

Having a crop mode is not the reason to move. Having a crop mode makes the move easier. If you don't understand that, then I don't know how else to put it.
10-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #26
Banned

Original Poster
camera size : Full Frame 36MP Sony A7r vs APS-C 24MP Pentax K-3

10-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #27
Banned

Original Poster
36MP A7r sharper than the 36MP Nikon D800E !

QuoteQuote:
Just like the Nikon D800E, the A7R has no low-pass filter for increased sharpness. They showed me some side-by-side images with the D800E and I was convinced that the chipset (the aforementioned confusingly named Beyoncé chip) was able to do a sharpness interpretation that is superior.
New Sony A7R Full-Frame mirrorless takes computational photography to a new level
10-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #28
Banned

Original Poster
Video captured with the 36MP Sony A7r !

10-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Jogiba, are you by any chance being paid for posting all this Sony stuff on here?