QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
First review of the Sony Sonnar T FE 35mm F2.8 ZA used in the above image

10-18-2013, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #47
Banned

Original Poster
Sony ILC-A7 full review

QuoteQuote:
Conclusion
Sony's new ILC-a7 cameras are certain to excite both professional photographers and serious enthusiasts alike – and they could put a dampener on enthusiasm for Olympus's new OM-D E-M1 camera. Although the E-M1 is significantly cheaper than the ILC-a7, it simply can't compete with the quality obtainable from the latter's much larger sensor. And the higher resolution of the a7, provides an increased incentive to look in its direction.

We feel the new Sony cameras present a challenge to other camera manufacturers to take a different approach and bring some excitement (and competition) to the middle and upper ends of the interchangeable-lens camera line-ups. We'd like to see some innovative products emerging from the Canon and Nikon stables – and maybe Pentax/Ricoh could use their innovative los-pass filter technology to revive to K-01 line.

Olympus and Panasonic will likely feel the hot breath of competition on their backs. It will be interesting to see which directions they follow, whether towards full-frame CSCs or further innovations and improvements to their M4/3 products. Whatever happens, this appears to be the beginning of a great time for digital photographers.
FIRST LOOK: Sony ILC-A7 - Photo Review

The illustration above shows the ILC-a7R accessorised for shooting movies

The customisable buttons on the Sony ILC-a7

Using NFC to connect an a7 camera with an Android smart-phone.
10-19-2013, 01:27 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Nice example of how not to PP an image from a camera that doesn't have an AA filter. I hope they didn't pay much for the makeup artist.
Completely agree, you can see the blodgy makeup here and the bare pores there... Which does tell me this camera produces awfully sharp images.
10-19-2013, 04:35 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Which does tell me this camera produces awfully sharp images.
So does the Pentax K5IIs...and the Pentax K3 will as well.

10-19-2013, 04:54 AM   #50
Veteran Member

The "we don't need FF anyway"-posts have more then quadrupled since there is an off-brand camera that makes better use of Pentax FF lenses then Pentax itself. That spells "sour grapes" to me.
10-19-2013, 07:23 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The "we don't need FF anyway"-posts have more then quadrupled since there is an off-brand camera that makes better use of Pentax FF lenses then Pentax itself. That spells "sour grapes" to me.
You should copy all the "we don't need FF anyway" posts, so that when Pentax announces a FF body you can remind them.
10-19-2013, 09:19 AM   #52
Pentaxian

No, not those as it's perfectly OK to not need FF. Posts explaining why it doesn't make sense for Pentax to launch a FF, those should be copied.
As well as the "let's jump ship to Sony" posts.

10-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
You should copy all the "we don't need FF anyway" posts, so that when Pentax announces a FF body you can remind them.
Haha... Yes, that would be most enjoyable. But it's never really about needing anyway, is it? We just want FF.
10-19-2013, 01:21 PM - 1 Like   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the A7 is a fine camera. I just don't like people flogging it as the answer to Pentax's lack of a full frame camera. To me, it is a partial answer at best and is lacking in certain key areas that would leave me unsatisfied as a long-time Pentaxian.

I do think that there will be a full frame Pentax next spring to summer, but I think it will priced highly enough that most forumites will probably not be able to afford it. The reality is that if you are a hobby photographer who is not independently wealthy, then APS-C is probably your best option. There will always be people who have money to spend -- whether professional or amateur photographers -- but I wonder how many there really are who have money for a 2600 dollar full frame camera plus full frame zooms. I have said before that I will likely get one, but I am afraid that I am in the minority.

Last edited by Rondec; 10-19-2013 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Misspelling
10-19-2013, 01:35 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't think that's a statistician's use of the word "quadrupled", but maybe I've given up reading posts about FF cameras that proselytise or denigrate. "Better use"? It rather depends on what you use those lenses for, doesn't it?

We were talking about the new Sony A7(R) though. Using those bodies with Pentax lenses involves compromise: that either suits or doesn't suit each individual who considers it. Just because it suits one person doesn't mean the others should automatically do so, too. From my viewpoint, on sober reflection after a small burst of enthusiasm, they don't offer me value for money. So, unlike a few others, I'm not cancelling my K-3 order but I'll look forward to maybe picking up a second-hand A7R when they've lost half their value, in about 12 months or so, at which point they may offer me value for money.
10-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #56
Pentaxian

makes better use of Pentax FF lenses then Pentax itself. That spells "sour grapes" to me.
Not sour grapes, necessarily. People just evolve their interests and enthusiasms differently, as their circumstances and experiences change.

Anyway, you can only use Pentax lenses on NEX without auto-focus or auto aperture. That's workable, but hardly making better use of them than Pentax.

There are also secondary complications from using Pentax lenses on NEX.

On a Sony body, you lose the ability to use the in-camera corrections for CA, distortion etc that a Pentax body might make. Further, if you use software like DxO Optics Pro, the lens modules for your K-lenses that may have worked nicely on your Pentax body won't do anything anymore when a Pentax lens is mounted on NEX. And even the lens profiles in Lightroom for K lenses may work differently when mounted on NEX, especially FF NEX.
10-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #57
Banned

Original Poster
The ability to use any full frame lens in the world

QuoteQuote:
The ability to use any full frame lens in the world means you’re never locked into a system and there are no image quality compromises. The low price means you can also spend some extra money on the many great full frame lenses available. If you have lenses for Canon EF, Pentax K, Leica M, Leica R, Olympus OM, Nikon F, or Canon FD, the A7 & A7R are worthy of your consideration.
https://www.thecamerastore.com/blog/2013/10/15/sony-a7-a7r-hands-field-test
10-20-2013, 06:36 AM   #58
Banned

Original Poster
Alpha A7 & A7R Product Announcement & Hands On Review

Only A7r has offset micro lenses (not A7) so A7r might do better with Leica lenses
(17 minute 30 second into video)

10-20-2013, 05:14 PM   #59
Banned

Original Poster
SONY A7 TEST VIDEO at up to 12800 iso

Sony Global - Sony Global - Digital Imaging - ?7R

Sony Global - Sony Global - Digital Imaging - ?7
10-22-2013, 06:00 AM   #60
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
At some point, I suspect Sony will step away from the A-mount – even though Sony has recently comment that the A-mount is not dead . . . yet.

Sony recently released the entry-level A3000 as an E-mount camera. Just last week, Sony dropped two flagship mirrorless cameras – the A7 and A7R. Some noise has been stirring that Sony will drop a serious A-mount camera or two in 2014. And so, I’m certainly not saying that won’t happen, but with the growing E-mount presence, including Sony’s cinema camera line with the FS100 and FS700, it certainly looks like Sony is leaning toward the E-mount.

What do you guys think about Sony’s Alpha consolidation? Will Sony continue to run the two mounts? For how much longer?
Sony Consolidating Alpha Brand; Kills “NEX” Branding . . . A-mount vs. E-mount

QuoteQuote:
Sony has confirmed that future mirrorless cameras and DSLR-style cameras will be branded under the Alpha name, and that there will no longer be any other “NEX” cameras. (see the 3:10 mark in the video from Sony below)