Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Don't need to break the bank

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
.. but I wonder how many there really are who have money for a 2600 dollar full frame camera plus full frame zooms. .
Consider the $280 (used) Tamron 28-75 f/2.8.

You don't need to break the bank to shoot FF, if you don't need exotic telephoto. You'd be surprised how far a 20mm, 50mm, and 28-75 2.8 Tamron can take you.

You can certainly spend a ton of money on lenses, but a smart-shopping hobbiest doesn't need to.. at least in most mounts. We'll see if Sony delivers a sensible roadmap, otherwise this could be Sony's Biig Mistake part II.

10-22-2013, 01:20 PM   #62
Pentaxian

They have a roadmap (not fully detailed), 15 FF lenses by the end of 2015 - let's see if they'll manage to catch up with Pentax until a Pentax FF appears
10-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Consider the $280 (used) Tamron 28-75 f/2.8.

You don't need to break the bank to shoot FF, if you don't need exotic telephoto. You'd be surprised how far a 20mm, 50mm, and 28-75 2.8 Tamron can take you.

You can certainly spend a ton of money on lenses, but a smart-shopping hobbiest doesn't need to.. at least in most mounts. We'll see if Sony delivers a sensible roadmap, otherwise this could be Sony's Biig Mistake part II.

From my perspective and from Pentax's perspective, third party lenses are certainly not a reason to buy a Pentax camera. If I would get a Pentax full frame ( I probably will), I would also get the standard full frame zooms to go with it and that's money. I know that that isn't as big a deal from other people's stand point, but honestly, when most people post price lists on this forum, they post brand name cameras and lenses -- whether or not there could be savings going with Tamron, Tokina or Sigma.

I understand that you've been preaching that full frame is cheaper for a long time, but at least as I price it, in a wholly Pentax system (with auto focus lenses), it won't be a particularly cheap way to go.
10-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The question is: Will Pentax release a FF body (like the K-3) before EVF and CDAF technology surpass human perception (OVF) and PDAF?

I prefer the OVF, but only because I can tell a difference between OVF and EVF. At some point EVF technology will exceed what humans can perceive. Once DR/color/refresh rates exceed human perception, EVFs win. I'm not sure how much more the OVF can evolve, but hopefully advances in EVF put pressure on companies dedicated to OVF (Canon/Nikon/Pentax) to push OVF forward.

10-22-2013, 11:37 PM   #65
Pentaxian

Yes, I'm sure Pentax/Ricoh Imaging will release a "full frame" small format digital camera before the end of the century.
I would actually say much sooner than that, but since that's the time reference...
10-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #66
Banned

Original Poster
A7r with 35mm F2.8 and 70-200 2.8 SSM G

QuoteQuote:
yesterday i pickup the new A7r at the SONY-office
together with the NEW E-MOUNTH 35mm 2.8 CZ ,and the adaptor LA-EA4
the camera is a pre-production model

i have this camera the next three day`s , after that it must back to sony.
three day`s are not long , so i must improvice.
my plan is to try three things
first , shoot a model , with flasgun(s)
second , some landscape`s (forest)
thirth ,and last , butterflies (zoo)

yesterday-evening i started with a model , i dicided to work with the new E-MOUNT 35mm 2.8 CZ , and the A-MOUNTH 70-200 2.8 SSM G

picture`s are taken on 64 ISO some of them on F13 , some of them F4.5 shutterspeed around 1/125
EXIF are also in the picture`s

here some result
the picture`s are strait from the camera ,because lightroom dont reed the RAW-file`s yet , so i shhot in RAW&JPEG

i have dicided to keep the camera , and not give it back to sony
i`m not theoretical technical , but this camera feels superb ,
build is very good ,
i like the sound of the shutter (its not softly)
the menu is also easy , and almost the same as alpha-menu
my first result with A7r - Dyxum forums - Page 1

10-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #67

can you believe that?

here is plain A7 with industar 61 f/8

Krzysztof Szablisty

the lens:

10-24-2013, 04:36 AM   #68
Banned

Original Poster
Sony has an impressive camera roadmap for 2014

QuoteQuote:
Amazing 2014: Well, with absolute no hype intentions and with certainties based on what I got in these days from my sources I can tell you that 2014 will be many times more exciting than 2013! There are also some unexpected camera to come (with unexpected I mean cameras that not even have been “rumored” until today). As usual I am working to triple check all info I get but this is what we can expect to be released in 2014:

- New APS-C E-mount cameras (branded as Alpha). This includes the NEX-7 successor and new entry level APS-C E-mount cameras
- New A-mount FF camera
- New E-mount FF cameras (yes guys….I intentionally used the plural!)
- With 80% reliability also a hybrid A-E mount high end camera to come.

One more thing: I know there is also a super brand new sensor tech. I still don’t know yet if it will make it in a production camera in late 2014 already or if we have to wait early 2015.
(SR5) Sony has an impressive camera roadmap for 2014 | sonyalpharumors
10-24-2013, 05:26 AM   #69
Veteran Member

That's extremely impressive, even for a monster company like Sony. It's clear what their goals are: spoiling us rotten.
10-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #70
Banned

Original Poster
Sony at the PDN show today

Mike Kobal a Pro photographer from NYC was at the Sony booth at the PDN show today and tested the A7r with 55mm F1.8 Zeiss were he said it AF faster than his D800E with Nikkpr 50mm F1.4 !
PDN: Sony A7r and RX10: Handling & AF impressions
10-24-2013, 05:11 PM   #71

A7r + Noctilux f/1

Read one serious german review today, which looked pretty close at the video of A7 and A7r

He said, :

"The A7R is Sony’s best handling camera to date. Excellent physical control layout and a unique rear card slot with angled door. Both headphone and mic jacks, unusual to find on a small camera like this.
The sensor is the best in the stills world, and second best in the video world just behind the 5D Mark III. If you’re shooting raw video with the Magic Lantern firmware on the 5D Mark III of course the A7R won’t improve on that for image quality, but if you need the convenience of a compressed codec and don’t mind a bit of occasional moire and aliasing then the A7R does a great job."
11-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #72
Veteran Member

How can they not expect that?: From source: Sony A7-A7r preorders 200% more than expected from Sony. Sony A7r review at CameraLabs. | sonyalpharumors
11-19-2013, 07:40 AM   #73
JPT
Pentaxian

I had a chance to handle the A7r the other day. It wasn't for long but for what it's worth, here are my impressions. What I liked . . .
- Build quality is very solid. Materials and assembly seem to be of a very high standard.
- The EVF is really nice, like the other Sony cameras.
- The Autofocus is very fast with the 35mm lens.
- I wasn't in a position to test IQ, but clearly it's really good.

Now what I didn't like . . .
- The shutter sound is almost unbelievably loud. When I picked it up, it was in bracketing mode and immediately fired off three deafening shots. I'm guessing that the small body is not able to dampen the sound like a larger DSLR body.
- I don't get the grip (of the camera itself). From its contours, it looks like you are supposed to wrap your fingers around the side, like a DSLR, but then your index finger sits on the front dial rather than the shutter release. If you hold it with your fingers in a more upright position, like an RX1, the front grip seems wrong.

My first digital camera was a Sony (S75) and I liked it a lot. I don't have anything against Sony as a company. But there's always something about the design of their cameras that puts me off.
11-19-2013, 11:14 AM   #74

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote

Now what I didn't like . . .
- The shutter sound is almost unbelievably loud. When I picked it up, it was in bracketing mode and immediately fired off three deafening shots. I'm guessing that the small body is not able to dampen the sound like a larger DSLR body.
- I don't get the grip (of the camera itself). From its contours, it looks like you are supposed to wrap your fingers around the side, like a DSLR, but then your index finger sits on the front dial rather than the shutter release. If you hold it with your fingers in a more upright position, like an RX1, the front grip seems wrong.

Isn't the shutter on the RX1 dead quite?
11-20-2013, 12:01 AM   #75
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
According to a review I recently read [forget where], the A7r shutter is not louder than other full frame cameras, but the sound lasts longer, so it's more noticeable.