Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2013, 12:33 AM   #76
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
According to a review I recently read [forget where], the A7r shutter is not louder than other full frame cameras, but the sound lasts longer, so it's more noticeable.
That's probably true, but it's much louder than other mirrorless cameras I've seen and it comes as quite a surprise. These things have no mirror to move so you would expect them to be quieter. This will be like screw drive AF - bothersome for some people and absolutely fine for others.

11-20-2013, 12:46 AM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
That's probably true, but it's much louder than other mirrorless cameras I've seen and it comes as quite a surprise. These things have no mirror to move so you would expect them to be quieter. This will be like screw drive AF - bothersome for some people and absolutely fine for others.
I'll be feeling so smug when I have the A7R, I'll probably be looking for ways to make it even louder. Hey, look at me! Anyway, the shutter sound is quieter and shorter then the screwdrive AF sound. If I can live with screwdrive AF, then I can certainly live with the A7R shutter.
11-20-2013, 12:56 AM   #78
JPT
Pentaxian

Have you ordered it? It's pretty much what you suggested Pentax should make. I think the R version is definitely the one to get.
11-20-2013, 01:32 AM   #79
Veteran Member

Have you ordered it? It's pretty much what you suggested Pentax should make. I think the R version is definitely the one to get.
Of course! For exactly the reason for which I love Pentax: Packing an enormous high quality punch in as small a package and as durable as possible. Sony even took over the role of underdog, because most people here hate them. Sony is the new Pentax. I don't know what Pentax exactly is currently. And I doubt they know themselves.

11-20-2013, 02:45 AM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Of course! For exactly the reason for which I love Pentax: Packing an enormous high quality punch in as small a package and as durable as possible. Sony even took over the role of underdog, because most people here hate them. Sony is the new Pentax. I don't know what Pentax exactly is currently. And I doubt they know themselves.
I really, truly second this.

The K-3 doesn't seem to be much more than the K-5 IIs and looking at the K-3 thread there seems to be many technical issues with the K-3. It's certainly not enough advancement to trade up from the K-5 IIs for me.

Pentax is history. No, I don't mean it like that. I mean the Pentax lenses of old are what, in my opinion, make Pentax attractive today.The FA Limiteds, the A*'s, K and A f/1.2's, the Takumars, the M 50/f.17, some real and available gems in there. With the A7r and a few adapters, the World's your oyster. Pretty much any classic vintage glass on an ultra-modern FF sensor.

I can't wait to get my hands on the A7r and start finding Contax G lenses to stick on the thing. For the photography I'm interested in, the A7r is near perfect.
11-20-2013, 11:23 AM   #81
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
True, that.
11-21-2013, 12:34 PM   #82

Is the output on the R version that much better than the A7? (Assuming you're not printing 4 ft pics and doing major pixel peeping)

11-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #83
Veteran Member

Wow: Sony Lens: Primes - Sony FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* SEL55F18Z (Tested) - SLRgear.com!

And faster lenses are in developement: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/interview-with-sony-a7-a7r-developers-faster-...n-development/
11-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #84

QuoteOriginally posted by richmondthefish Quote
Is the output on the R version that much better than the A7? (Assuming you're not printing 4 ft pics and doing major pixel peeping)
Most reviewers are saying no, they're pretty similar with the R being only a tad sharper when pixel peeping or printing really, really big. The A7 is actually more forgiving with legacy rangefinder lenses but the A7r shoots (slightly) better video and is neck and neck with the A7 in high-ISO despite the much smaller pixel pitch.